Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 18, 2013
7:45:40 AM
View profile
FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

Fox Sports wants to play ESPN's game of "more money, more money."   Come August 17th, Fox is rebranding Speed (652/1652) to Fox Sports 1.  They are also asking for more money.  Lots more.  Providers pay 23 cents per subscriber for Speed but they want 80 cents per for FS1, now and having it escalate to $1.50.  They made a deal with Comcast but others are balking. 

Read about it here and here.  The latter also mentions FXX which is another new Fox network.

Fox Sports wants to play ESPN's game of "more money, more money."   Come August 17th, Fox is rebranding Speed (652/1652) to Fox Sports 1.  They are also asking for more money.  Lots more.  Providers pay 23 cents per subscriber for Speed but they want 80 cents per for FS1, now and having it escalate to $1.50.  They made a deal with Comcast but others are balking. 

Read about it here and here.  The latter also mentions FXX which is another new Fox network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 9:09:10 PM
(0)
Scholar
Well, if both Fox Sports 1 and FXX are not part of the U-Verse lineup the day they commence airing, I will switch over to a provider that does have them. It is as simple as that. Money is not an issue to me- I want channels. Right now U-Verse has enough to keep me happy, but if I start missing national college football and MLB games that FOX Sports 1 airs, it will be problematic for me. But the way I see it, this channel will be another ESPN and since live sports are one of the main things keeping cable and satellite TV alive, everyone is pretty much forced to carry it as it will be a major national network!
Well, if both Fox Sports 1 and FXX are not part of the U-Verse lineup the day they commence airing, I will switch over to a provider that does have them. It is as simple as that. Money is not an issue to me- I want channels. Right now U-Verse has enough to keep me happy, but if I start missing national college football and MLB games that FOX Sports 1 airs, it will be problematic for me. But the way I see it, this channel will be another ESPN and since live sports are one of the main things keeping cable and satellite TV alive, everyone is pretty much forced to carry it as it will be a major national network!

Re: FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

2 of 36 (5,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 8:53:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Obviously, I do not know when AT&T's contract with Speed Channel is up. Just for an example, let us say the contract is up November 25, 2013. When Speed becomes Fox Sports 1 on August 17, wouldn't we still receive the new channel without interruption under the existing contract until my hypothetical date of November 25, 2013?

Essentially the change is a change in name and format, not the launch of a completely new channel that had not been in existence previously under a different name and format.

My opinion is that we will still be getting Fox Sports 1 at least until the time the existing Speed Channel contract is up. Are there any other opinions on this matter?

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Obviously, I do not know when AT&T's contract with Speed Channel is up. Just for an example, let us say the contract is up November 25, 2013. When Speed becomes Fox Sports 1 on August 17, wouldn't we still receive the new channel without interruption under the existing contract until my hypothetical date of November 25, 2013?

Essentially the change is a change in name and format, not the launch of a completely new channel that had not been in existence previously under a different name and format.

My opinion is that we will still be getting Fox Sports 1 at least until the time the existing Speed Channel contract is up. Are there any other opinions on this matter?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 36 (5,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 10:11:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dwinth wrote:

I would have thought that too, until this strange thing that happened when SoapNet "became" Disney Junior.  For those providers still under contract to provide SoapNet and not willing to fork out additional funds, a SoapNet feed was still provided to them long after the March 22, 2012 cutover date.  This included AT&T until the Disney/ESPN negotiation was completed many months later.

dwinth wrote:

I would have thought that too, until this strange thing that happened when SoapNet "became" Disney Junior.  For those providers still under contract to provide SoapNet and not willing to fork out additional funds, a SoapNet feed was still provided to them long after the March 22, 2012 cutover date.  This included AT&T until the Disney/ESPN negotiation was completed many months later.

4 of 36 (5,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 12:52:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If they are going to start televising as many live sporting events as they are talking about, the price is still $3 less than ESPN.  It looks like they are going to be doing NASCAR, college football (Pac-12, Big-12, CUSA), college basketball (Pac-12, Big-12, Big East and CUSA) as well as MLB (2014), UFC, UEFA Champions League and starting in 2015 FIFA World Cup.  That's quite a bit more than what's on SPEED now.  I would say that's a fair price.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

If they are going to start televising as many live sporting events as they are talking about, the price is still $3 less than ESPN.  It looks like they are going to be doing NASCAR, college football (Pac-12, Big-12, CUSA), college basketball (Pac-12, Big-12, Big East and CUSA) as well as MLB (2014), UFC, UEFA Champions League and starting in 2015 FIFA World Cup.  That's quite a bit more than what's on SPEED now.  I would say that's a fair price.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

5 of 36 (5,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 3:05:36 PM
(0)
Guru

I know people aren't going to agree with me but I have to say that this stinks.  23 cents per subscriber to 80 cents is nearly a 400% increase in fees.  This is pure crap!

And for codycooper865, that's exactly what Fox Sports wants you to do.  You are playing right into their hands.  And you know what?  They are laughing all the way to the bank!

I swear, these sports networks need to be broken up!  They have become too powerful.

I know people aren't going to agree with me but I have to say that this stinks.  23 cents per subscriber to 80 cents is nearly a 400% increase in fees.  This is pure crap!

And for codycooper865, that's exactly what Fox Sports wants you to do.  You are playing right into their hands.  And you know what?  They are laughing all the way to the bank!

I swear, these sports networks need to be broken up!  They have become too powerful.

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

6 of 36 (5,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 3:26:45 PM
(0)
Scholar
No. According to one of those links, providers must renegotiate with FOX before August 17 to carry FOX Sports 1. Carriers that fail to come to an agreement will keep showing a more watered down version of Speed Channel until they do make a deal with FOX. And why is doing what I have to do to get the Chanel's I want playing into FOX's hands? I love sports, especially baseball and college football! As I said before money is not of concern to me. And Speed is basically a crap channel. It is not worth much. FOX Sports 1 is worth many times more than Speed to the average sports fan. So I see why FOX wants more for it. U-Verse knows they have to have it, just like they know they have to have ESPN.
No. According to one of those links, providers must renegotiate with FOX before August 17 to carry FOX Sports 1. Carriers that fail to come to an agreement will keep showing a more watered down version of Speed Channel until they do make a deal with FOX. And why is doing what I have to do to get the Chanel's I want playing into FOX's hands? I love sports, especially baseball and college football! As I said before money is not of concern to me. And Speed is basically a crap channel. It is not worth much. FOX Sports 1 is worth many times more than Speed to the average sports fan. So I see why FOX wants more for it. U-Verse knows they have to have it, just like they know they have to have ESPN.

7 of 36 (5,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 3:38:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
Oh and trparky...why should I deny myself this sports channel if I don't have to. To me that would be stupid self punishment! Don't worry about me, I can afford it if I have to pay a couple of bucks a month more to get what I want. Nothing in life worthwhile is free. Everything has its price. That is why I did what I had to do to land a job that pays well.
Oh and trparky...why should I deny myself this sports channel if I don't have to. To me that would be stupid self punishment! Don't worry about me, I can afford it if I have to pay a couple of bucks a month more to get what I want. Nothing in life worthwhile is free. Everything has its price. That is why I did what I had to do to land a job that pays well.

8 of 36 (5,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 3:39:28 PM
(0)
Guru

codycooper864 wrote:
And why is doing what I have to do to get the Chanel's I want playing into FOX's hands? I love sports, especially baseball and college football! As I said before money is not of concern to me.

Because that's what they want you to think.  They have you by the figurative balls here.  Can't you see that?  They know that you want this content and that you'll pay for it.  This year... $1.50 per subscriber.  Next year?  $2.00.  Next year, $2.50.  $3.00.  $3.50.  $4.00.  When does it end?  It has to end!

codycooper864 wrote:
And why is doing what I have to do to get the Chanel's I want playing into FOX's hands? I love sports, especially baseball and college football! As I said before money is not of concern to me.

Because that's what they want you to think.  They have you by the figurative balls here.  Can't you see that?  They know that you want this content and that you'll pay for it.  This year... $1.50 per subscriber.  Next year?  $2.00.  Next year, $2.50.  $3.00.  $3.50.  $4.00.  When does it end?  It has to end!

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

9 of 36 (5,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 3:44:51 PM
(0)
Guru

And going to another carrier to get the content you want while other carriers stand their ground in not wanting to pay the already overpriced fees only gives them (Fox Sports) more reasons to raise their fees.  It has to end.

And why do they need more money?  What?  The sports players, teams, and CEOs aren't making enough?  They can't afford their fourth 200 foot yacht this year?  BOOHOO!  Cry me a river.

And going to another carrier to get the content you want while other carriers stand their ground in not wanting to pay the already overpriced fees only gives them (Fox Sports) more reasons to raise their fees.  It has to end.

And why do they need more money?  What?  The sports players, teams, and CEOs aren't making enough?  They can't afford their fourth 200 foot yacht this year?  BOOHOO!  Cry me a river.

10 of 36 (5,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 5:50:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

trparky wrote:

They are also going to be showing much more sports than they are now.  Currently they show NASCAR qualifying and practice, NASCAR Camping World Trucks and a few other motor sports on Speed.  They are moving away from that to a more inclusive sports network that will draw millions of more viewers than they currently are.  Sports is a HUGE part of our society and it's not cheap.  ESPN is over $4 per subscriber so they are still far cheaper than ESPN.

trparky wrote:

They are also going to be showing much more sports than they are now.  Currently they show NASCAR qualifying and practice, NASCAR Camping World Trucks and a few other motor sports on Speed.  They are moving away from that to a more inclusive sports network that will draw millions of more viewers than they currently are.  Sports is a HUGE part of our society and it's not cheap.  ESPN is over $4 per subscriber so they are still far cheaper than ESPN.

11 of 36 (5,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:15:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

...  ESPN is over $4 per subscriber so they are still far cheaper than ESPN.

But for that $4, you get the ESPN suite, including (IIRC), ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNews.  I'm not sure if ESPN3 access goes along with that.

oufanindallas wrote:

...  ESPN is over $4 per subscriber so they are still far cheaper than ESPN.

But for that $4, you get the ESPN suite, including (IIRC), ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNews.  I'm not sure if ESPN3 access goes along with that.

12 of 36 (5,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 7:30:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

For all we know the new Fox deal will include Fox, Fox Sports 1 (replacing Speed) and 2 (replacing Fuel), FX and FXX and FXM.

For all we know the new Fox deal will include Fox, Fox Sports 1 (replacing Speed) and 2 (replacing Fuel), FX and FXX and FXM.

13 of 36 (5,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 8:19:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you're going to make that argument, don't forget that the ESPN deal also includes Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ABC Family, ABC owned Stations, etc...

If you're going to make that argument, don't forget that the ESPN deal also includes Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ABC Family, ABC owned Stations, etc...

14 of 36 (5,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 10:04:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
I think a new carriage deal with FOX is likely to include all their channels, like FX, FXX, FXM, etc as well. And FOX Sports will likely at some point introduce their own online thing similar to ESPN3/ Watch ESPN at some point as well.

And trparky, NOTHING you say has anything to do with my personal decision to choose a provider that best fits my programming wants. Right now that provider is U-Verse. But I won't hesitate to switch if that changes, just like most other people. I think you are just trolling anyway because you make little sense. FOX Sports will cost more than Speed because they have much better programming... Duh! And things go up all the time. Gas used to be under $1 and now it's over $3.
I think a new carriage deal with FOX is likely to include all their channels, like FX, FXX, FXM, etc as well. And FOX Sports will likely at some point introduce their own online thing similar to ESPN3/ Watch ESPN at some point as well.

And trparky, NOTHING you say has anything to do with my personal decision to choose a provider that best fits my programming wants. Right now that provider is U-Verse. But I won't hesitate to switch if that changes, just like most other people. I think you are just trolling anyway because you make little sense. FOX Sports will cost more than Speed because they have much better programming... Duh! And things go up all the time. Gas used to be under $1 and now it's over $3.

15 of 36 (5,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 10:41:01 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 20, 2013 at 11:32:46 AM
No, I'm not trolling.  I'm just sick and tired of rate increases year after year.  And for what?  So some CEO can pocket more cash?  You can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip.

Already we are seeing more and more people becoming "cord cutters".  Why do you think that's so?  Because people are getting tired of the constant rate increases along with the constant bickering between the carriers and content providers over how much money they think they deserve.

It has to end, the constant year after year rate increases has got to end.  The revolution has started in the form of a small minority of people becoming "cord cutters".  Believe me, if things keep going the way that they are it's only going to get bigger as more and more people "cut the cord."

And what do you think are the channels that are the main culprit for the constant year after year rate increases?  That's right... sports channels.  For me, all I would want as far as sports are hockey and baseball.  Hockey... now that's a real man's sport.  You got to have some serious *** to be out on that ice with a hockey puck traveling in excess of 150 MPH.  That and baseball.  You go ahead and stand in front of someone throwing a baseball at you at 90 MPH and try to hit it with a stick.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

No, I'm not trolling.  I'm just sick and tired of rate increases year after year.  And for what?  So some CEO can pocket more cash?  You can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip.

Already we are seeing more and more people becoming "cord cutters".  Why do you think that's so?  Because people are getting tired of the constant rate increases along with the constant bickering between the carriers and content providers over how much money they think they deserve.

It has to end, the constant year after year rate increases has got to end.  The revolution has started in the form of a small minority of people becoming "cord cutters".  Believe me, if things keep going the way that they are it's only going to get bigger as more and more people "cut the cord."

And what do you think are the channels that are the main culprit for the constant year after year rate increases?  That's right... sports channels.  For me, all I would want as far as sports are hockey and baseball.  Hockey... now that's a real man's sport.  You got to have some serious *** to be out on that ice with a hockey puck traveling in excess of 150 MPH.  That and baseball.  You go ahead and stand in front of someone throwing a baseball at you at 90 MPH and try to hit it with a stick.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
16 of 36 (5,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 2:27:45 PM
(0)
Scholar
Well, since the price of everything else goes up, you have to expect the price of TV to as well. I will NEVER get rid of my TV. I have the money. And I love sports - baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and hockey. And I want to see my sports LIVE. And I want to see them on my TV, not on the Internet too.
Well, since the price of everything else goes up, you have to expect the price of TV to as well. I will NEVER get rid of my TV. I have the money. And I love sports - baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and hockey. And I want to see my sports LIVE. And I want to see them on my TV, not on the Internet too.

17 of 36 (4,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 2:50:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's true, however, networks are being smart and you have to have cable now to be able to watch the majority of their programs.  Those that don't require a premium subscription to something like Hulu+, Netflix or Amazon.  Even then the shows aren't shown on the same day.  Sports you cannot legally watch on the web without a premium subscription.  There is no real way to save money if you are a sports fan. 

That's true, however, networks are being smart and you have to have cable now to be able to watch the majority of their programs.  Those that don't require a premium subscription to something like Hulu+, Netflix or Amazon.  Even then the shows aren't shown on the same day.  Sports you cannot legally watch on the web without a premium subscription.  There is no real way to save money if you are a sports fan. 

18 of 36 (4,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 2:55:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Jul 20, 2013 at 3:00:19 PM

codycooper864 wrote:

Actually I want to see the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions, Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons, Nascar Sprint/Nationwide races/practice/qualifying, Tour de France, specific Soccer matches and other things RECORDED, so I can zip thru all the commercials. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

codycooper864 wrote:

Actually I want to see the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions, Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons, Nascar Sprint/Nationwide races/practice/qualifying, Tour de France, specific Soccer matches and other things RECORDED, so I can zip thru all the commercials. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

[ Edited ]
19 of 36 (4,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 7:04:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

I get both sides of the argument, and while I understand that A la carte pricing is probably more of a myth than a good idea, I would rather be able to pay extra to get channels I want than not have access to them at all.    channels would have to decide, do I want 10M households at .60 per household and be in a normal tier, or 1M at $6 per month as an add on.  

FS+ is a good example of this, although at $15/m, a bit excessive. 

Would I pay an extra separate monthly fee for NHL network, BEIN sports, FS+, etc... yeah, probably. 

I get both sides of the argument, and while I understand that A la carte pricing is probably more of a myth than a good idea, I would rather be able to pay extra to get channels I want than not have access to them at all.    channels would have to decide, do I want 10M households at .60 per household and be in a normal tier, or 1M at $6 per month as an add on.  

Would I pay an extra separate monthly fee for NHL network, BEIN sports, FS+, etc... yeah, probably. 

20 of 36 (4,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 7:36:24 AM
(0)
Employee

Personally, I'd be happy with a "Sports-Free" option. I watch very little sports and could lose it all without shedding a tear.

Personally, I'd be happy with a "Sports-Free" option. I watch very little sports and could lose it all without shedding a tear.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

21 of 36 (4,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 8:46:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

JefferMC wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Unless they want to provide nothing but taped coverage of a "dummy" Speed Channel, they can't do this...remember, most of the stuff on SOAPNet is/was old material.

JefferMC wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Unless they want to provide nothing but taped coverage of a "dummy" Speed Channel, they can't do this...remember, most of the stuff on SOAPNet is/was old material.

22 of 36 (4,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 8:51:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jgold47 wrote:

Perhaps a "bit" excessive, but perhaps less excessive than you think.

Right now, channels like ESPN can charge all subscribers $4/mo regardless of whether you watch or not. If you don't watch, you're still paying, etc. They're making X million dollars by charging Y million subscribers. If they charge a la carte, that's fewer people paying, but they still need the same amount of money in order to be the viable business their viewers expect....so they would need to charge much more than $4/mo.

For example, there was a certain long-distance bus trip a few years ago. They would have charged X number of people $50 for the bus ride. Well, they couldn't get enough people, so they thought about raising the price to make up for the lack of sales...well, they would have had fewer riders had they charged $65 and even fewer had they charged $70...so the bus was canceled.

Moral of the story? Maybe $15 for a certain sports channel by itself isn't all that insane.

jgold47 wrote:

Perhaps a "bit" excessive, but perhaps less excessive than you think.

Right now, channels like ESPN can charge all subscribers $4/mo regardless of whether you watch or not. If you don't watch, you're still paying, etc. They're making X million dollars by charging Y million subscribers. If they charge a la carte, that's fewer people paying, but they still need the same amount of money in order to be the viable business their viewers expect....so they would need to charge much more than $4/mo.

For example, there was a certain long-distance bus trip a few years ago. They would have charged X number of people $50 for the bus ride. Well, they couldn't get enough people, so they thought about raising the price to make up for the lack of sales...well, they would have had fewer riders had they charged $65 and even fewer had they charged $70...so the bus was canceled.

Moral of the story? Maybe $15 for a certain sports channel by itself isn't all that insane.

23 of 36 (4,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 11:32:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Actually if "XYZCable" could not come up with an agreement to carry FS1,  and XYZ still had months on their old Speed carriage agreement, they would have to provide something Speed related.  IIRC Fox Reality channel lived a few months longer on some cable companies for that reason. 

baseballisback wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Actually if "XYZCable" could not come up with an agreement to carry FS1,  and XYZ still had months on their old Speed carriage agreement, they would have to provide something Speed related.  IIRC Fox Reality channel lived a few months longer on some cable companies for that reason. 

24 of 36 (4,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 7:02:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

Are we really talking about SPEED?  If so, I've never seen a baseball game, basketball game or any other "ball" game on SPEED.  If, what FOX is planning to do with SPEED is convert it into a channel that carries other things, I'll not care anyway.  Don't forget, too, some of SPEED's best programming is, actually, recorded - British Touring Cars, Aussie V8 Super Cars to name two. FOX bought SPEED because of NASCAR - which has got to be 40% of its schedule.  And when you add in SPEED's version of "reality shows" it's probably over 50%.  If I read the reports of usage for NASCAR correctly, it is slowly retreating back to its core viewers - which used to be me until I got tired of only left turns.  (Don't tell me about Watkins Glen and Sonoma, that's the only two I watch.)  It may be FOX has intentions of showing other sports on "what used to be SPEED."  In which case, include me out anyway.

Are we really talking about SPEED?  If so, I've never seen a baseball game, basketball game or any other "ball" game on SPEED.  If, what FOX is planning to do with SPEED is convert it into a channel that carries other things, I'll not care anyway.  Don't forget, too, some of SPEED's best programming is, actually, recorded - British Touring Cars, Aussie V8 Super Cars to name two. FOX bought SPEED because of NASCAR - which has got to be 40% of its schedule.  And when you add in SPEED's version of "reality shows" it's probably over 50%.  If I read the reports of usage for NASCAR correctly, it is slowly retreating back to its core viewers - which used to be me until I got tired of only left turns.  (Don't tell me about Watkins Glen and Sonoma, that's the only two I watch.)  It may be FOX has intentions of showing other sports on "what used to be SPEED."  In which case, include me out anyway.

25 of 36 (3,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 9:01:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

dwinth wrote:

In a slightly related note, why does ABC Family still exist under the original Family Channel contract? You would think Disney would have found a way to stop airing the 700 Club by now.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

dhascall wrote:

baseballisback wrote:

JefferMC wrote:

dwinth wrote:

In a slightly related note, why does ABC Family still exist under the original Family Channel contract? You would think Disney would have found a way to stop airing the 700 Club by now.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

26 of 36 (3,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 10:13:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Speed is going away as of Aug 17.  It is being rebranded as Fox Sport 1.  It is going to be a 24 hour sports network.  Here is what is going to be on FS1.

LIVE SPORTS:

The best live sporting events including NASCAR, college football (Pac-12, Big 12, Conference USA), college basketball (Pac-12, Big 12, Big East, Conference USA), UFC and UEFA Champions League. Live MLB games will debut in 2014, and FIFA World Cup Coverage begins in 2015.

news:

Airing nightly at 11:00 PM ET, FOX Sports Live is FOX Sports 1’s flagship 24/7 news, opinion and highlights program. It will provide around the clock coverage through regularly scheduled programs, hourly updates and an information rich ticker. Long-time duo Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole will anchor the coverage with analysis and commentary coming from sports personality Charissa Thopmson, tennis legend Andy Roddick, NBA great Gary Payton, as well as NFL stars Donovan McNabb and Ephraim Salaam.

ORIGINAL PROGRAMS:

FOX Sports 1 raises the bar in original programming. Coming September 4th, The Ultimate Fighter is back for its 18th season featuring UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, coaching opposite Miesha Tate. Making its FOX Sports 1 debut, BEING:, the groundbreaking documentary series will take a deep look into today’s greatest athletes, teams and sports icons with unprecedented access. The series will set the tone with BEING: MARIANO RIVERA, BEING: MIKE TYSON, and BEING: THE FINEST.

• STUDIO SHOWS:

Premiering on Monday, August 19th, new shows will break the mold in a way that only FOX Sports can. Iconic broadcaster Regis Philbin leads a panel of sports professionals, celebrity guests and die-hard fans in an original and completely unpredictable new live sports entertainment talk show, Crowd Goes Wild. To get a look at the full cast for Crowd Goes Wild, click here. Can’t get enough of the FOX NFL Sunday crew? FOX Football Daily brings FOX Sports favorites Curt Menefee, Jay Glazer, Mike Pereira and Rob Stone to provide the latest news and commentary within the NFL and college football. Soccer and racing fans will have all the content they can handle with the daily additions of FOX Soccer Daily and NASCAR Race Hub.

Speed is going away as of Aug 17.  It is being rebranded as Fox Sport 1.  It is going to be a 24 hour sports network.  Here is what is going to be on FS1.

LIVE SPORTS:

The best live sporting events including NASCAR, college football (Pac-12, Big 12, Conference USA), college basketball (Pac-12, Big 12, Big East, Conference USA), UFC and UEFA Champions League. Live MLB games will debut in 2014, and FIFA World Cup Coverage begins in 2015.

news:

Airing nightly at 11:00 PM ET, FOX Sports Live is FOX Sports 1’s flagship 24/7 news, opinion and highlights program. It will provide around the clock coverage through regularly scheduled programs, hourly updates and an information rich ticker. Long-time duo Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole will anchor the coverage with analysis and commentary coming from sports personality Charissa Thopmson, tennis legend Andy Roddick, NBA great Gary Payton, as well as NFL stars Donovan McNabb and Ephraim Salaam.

ORIGINAL PROGRAMS:

FOX Sports 1 raises the bar in original programming. Coming September 4th, The Ultimate Fighter is back for its 18th season featuring UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, coaching opposite Miesha Tate. Making its FOX Sports 1 debut, BEING:, the groundbreaking documentary series will take a deep look into today’s greatest athletes, teams and sports icons with unprecedented access. The series will set the tone with BEING: MARIANO RIVERA, BEING: MIKE TYSON, and BEING: THE FINEST.

• STUDIO SHOWS:

Premiering on Monday, August 19th, new shows will break the mold in a way that only FOX Sports can. Iconic broadcaster Regis Philbin leads a panel of sports professionals, celebrity guests and die-hard fans in an original and completely unpredictable new live sports entertainment talk show, Crowd Goes Wild. To get a look at the full cast for Crowd Goes Wild, click here. Can’t get enough of the FOX NFL Sunday crew? FOX Football Daily brings FOX Sports favorites Curt Menefee, Jay Glazer, Mike Pereira and Rob Stone to provide the latest news and commentary within the NFL and college football. Soccer and racing fans will have all the content they can handle with the daily additions of FOX Soccer Daily and NASCAR Race Hub.

27 of 36 (3,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2013 12:17:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

At least those stupid "The 10" shows will be gone and as well as some of those other stupid series they been running.

Fox has been promoting this like it the next best thing to sliced bread, ESPN's probably been laughing their heads over this overblown self-important Fox Sports 1. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

At least those stupid "The 10" shows will be gone and as well as some of those other stupid series they been running.

Fox has been promoting this like it the next best thing to sliced bread, ESPN's probably been laughing their heads over this overblown self-important Fox Sports 1. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

28 of 36 (3,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 8:14:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had to laugh a bit, while watching Speed's coverage of the truck race.  Mikey (Michael Waltrip) stated that FS1 will carry more racing than ever.  Yeah... right.  Dave DeSpain's final Wind Tunnel is this weekend. Smiley Sad  That marks the real end of Speed.  Who remembers when Speed showed campy racing / hot-rod movies,on Saturday nights?

Just for giggles, I looked at 8/18's "Speed" offerings (the Guide still shows that and not FS1) and during prime time, what scintillating piece is FS1 airing?  UFC 100 Greatest Knockouts.  Instead of giggling, I threw up.  In my mouth.  A little. Smiley Mad  I would choose campy hot rod movies over UFC, any day. 

I had to laugh a bit, while watching Speed's coverage of the truck race.  Mikey (Michael Waltrip) stated that FS1 will carry more racing than ever.  Yeah... right.  Dave DeSpain's final Wind Tunnel is this weekend. Smiley Sad  That marks the real end of Speed.  Who remembers when Speed showed campy racing / hot-rod movies,on Saturday nights?

Just for giggles, I looked at 8/18's "Speed" offerings (the Guide still shows that and not FS1) and during prime time, what scintillating piece is FS1 airing?  UFC 100 Greatest Knockouts.  Instead of giggling, I threw up.  In my mouth.  A little. Smiley Mad  I would choose campy hot rod movies over UFC, any day. 

29 of 36 (3,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2013 8:50:55 AM
(0)
Guru

To those people talking about rate increases, nothing on U-verse has gone up in price. So why are we complaining? 

To those people talking about rate increases, nothing on U-verse has gone up in price. So why are we complaining? 

30 of 36 (3,616 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments