FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

ACE - Master

FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

Fox Sports wants to play ESPN's game of "more money, more money."   Come August 17th, Fox is rebranding Speed (652/1652) to Fox Sports 1.  They are also asking for more money.  Lots more.  Providers pay 23 cents per subscriber for Speed but they want 80 cents per for FS1, now and having it escalate to $1.50.  They made a deal with Comcast but others are balking. 

Read about it here and here.  The latter also mentions FXX which is another new Fox network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 36 (6,106 Views)

Re: FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

mibrnsurg wrote:

At least those stupid "The 10" shows will be gone and as well as some of those other stupid series they been running.

Fox has been promoting this like it the next best thing to sliced bread, ESPN's probably been laughing their heads over this overblown self-important Fox Sports 1. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

I don't know what happen to my posts the other day but I posted aomething like this:

ESPN is taking it seriously the have to, They hired back Keith Olberman (who I really don't like):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/07/17/espn-keith-olbermann-msnbc-sportscenter-/2524945/

Plus Sportscenter ratings have been doing awful, actually the whole TV station itself hasn't been doing too well:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/july/a-closer-look-at-espn-s-ratings.html

It looks like we will see a revamped of Sportscenter (It really needs one):

http://www.businessinsider.com/espns-sportscenter-will-soon-have-a-very-different-look-2013-5

Message 31 of 36 (1,261 Views)
ACE - Master

sportsman_1 wrote:

To those people talking about rate increases, nothing on U-verse has gone up in price.

Not yet!

So why are we complaining

No one is complaining (yet).  If we see a larger than normal price bump, in February 2014, one could make a huge point that FS1 had lots to do with it.  There are also non-sports fans who come onto this forum and complain about Hallmark and such and then mention "all those sports channels that I don't watch."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 36 (1,239 Views)
Expert

From the article found in the link below:

Comcast, Cablevision, Charter, Cox, Verizon, AT&T and Suddenlink -- distributors that account for nearly 45 million subscribers -- have committed to carry FS1 on its Aug. 17 launch. That leaves DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks -- accounting for more than 47 million subscribers -- as the distributors that do not have deals in place for FS1 yet even though its launch date is just five days away. All four distributors are in active negotiations for FS1, sources say. (Time Warner Cable handles programming negotiations for Bright House.) When Fox announced the channel earlier this year, it said it planned to launch FS1 into 90 million homes.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2013/08/12/FS1.aspx
Message 33 of 36 (985 Views)

[ Edited ]

I knew there was going to be a FOX Sports 2.

FOX Sports 2 will replace FUEL TV as well:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/fuel-tv-website-confirms-fox-sports-2-rebrand.html

"FUEL TV WEBSITE CONFIRMS FOX SPORTS 2 REBRAND

But the clearest sign of all of Fuel's rebranding as Fox Sports 2 actually comes on the Fuel TV website.  There we finally find confirmation that the channel will become Fox Sports 2 on August 17th, the day Fox Sports 1 also launches:"

Message 34 of 36 (899 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Wonder if FS 2 will have its price jacked up as much.

Of course, that also means an auto-related channel now is "just another sports channel."

Message 35 of 36 (893 Views)
Explorer

I was glad to hear that Fox Sports 1 was replacing Speed because UVerse has Speed in HD.  But, Fox Sports 2 is replacing Fuel sucks becuase there is no HD version of that channel.  I always hated watching the UFC Prelims on Fuel on UVerse becuase it was SD.  Hopefully this will give them a reason to add the HD channel of it.

Message 36 of 36 (867 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.