FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

ACE - Master

FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

Fox Sports wants to play ESPN's game of "more money, more money."   Come August 17th, Fox is rebranding Speed (652/1652) to Fox Sports 1.  They are also asking for more money.  Lots more.  Providers pay 23 cents per subscriber for Speed but they want 80 cents per for FS1, now and having it escalate to $1.50.  They made a deal with Comcast but others are balking. 

Read about it here and here.  The latter also mentions FXX which is another new Fox network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 36 (6,108 Views)

Re: FOX Sports 1 to come with hefty price tag

Well, if both Fox Sports 1 and FXX are not part of the U-Verse lineup the day they commence airing, I will switch over to a provider that does have them. It is as simple as that. Money is not an issue to me- I want channels. Right now U-Verse has enough to keep me happy, but if I start missing national college football and MLB games that FOX Sports 1 airs, it will be problematic for me. But the way I see it, this channel will be another ESPN and since live sports are one of the main things keeping cable and satellite TV alive, everyone is pretty much forced to carry it as it will be a major national network!
Message 2 of 36 (5,810 Views)
ACE - Professor

Obviously, I do not know when AT&T's contract with Speed Channel is up. Just for an example, let us say the contract is up November 25, 2013. When Speed becomes Fox Sports 1 on August 17, wouldn't we still receive the new channel without interruption under the existing contract until my hypothetical date of November 25, 2013?

Essentially the change is a change in name and format, not the launch of a completely new channel that had not been in existence previously under a different name and format.

My opinion is that we will still be getting Fox Sports 1 at least until the time the existing Speed Channel contract is up. Are there any other opinions on this matter?

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 36 (5,733 Views)
ACE - Expert

dwinth wrote:

Obviously, I do not know when AT&T's contract with Speed Channel is up. Just for an example, let us say the contract is up November 25, 2013. When Speed becomes Fox Sports 1 on August 17, wouldn't we still receive the new channel without interruption under the existing contract until my hypothetical date of November 25, 2013?

Essentially the change is a change in name and format, not the launch of a completely new channel that had not been in existence previously under a different name and format.

My opinion is that we will still be getting Fox Sports 1 at least until the time the existing Speed Channel contract is up. Are there any other opinions on this matter?

I would have thought that too, until this strange thing that happened when SoapNet "became" Disney Junior.  For those providers still under contract to provide SoapNet and not willing to fork out additional funds, a SoapNet feed was still provided to them long after the March 22, 2012 cutover date.  This included AT&T until the Disney/ESPN negotiation was completed many months later.

Message 4 of 36 (5,706 Views)

If they are going to start televising as many live sporting events as they are talking about, the price is still $3 less than ESPN.  It looks like they are going to be doing NASCAR, college football (Pac-12, Big-12, CUSA), college basketball (Pac-12, Big-12, Big East and CUSA) as well as MLB (2014), UFC, UEFA Champions League and starting in 2015 FIFA World Cup.  That's quite a bit more than what's on SPEED now.  I would say that's a fair price.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 36 (5,674 Views)
Guru

I know people aren't going to agree with me but I have to say that this stinks.  23 cents per subscriber to 80 cents is nearly a 400% increase in fees.  This is pure crap!

And for codycooper865, that's exactly what Fox Sports wants you to do.  You are playing right into their hands.  And you know what?  They are laughing all the way to the bank!

I swear, these sports networks need to be broken up!  They have become too powerful.

Message 6 of 36 (5,633 Views)

No. According to one of those links, providers must renegotiate with FOX before August 17 to carry FOX Sports 1. Carriers that fail to come to an agreement will keep showing a more watered down version of Speed Channel until they do make a deal with FOX. And why is doing what I have to do to get the Chanel's I want playing into FOX's hands? I love sports, especially baseball and college football! As I said before money is not of concern to me. And Speed is basically a crap channel. It is not worth much. FOX Sports 1 is worth many times more than Speed to the average sports fan. So I see why FOX wants more for it. U-Verse knows they have to have it, just like they know they have to have ESPN.
Message 7 of 36 (5,630 Views)

Oh and trparky...why should I deny myself this sports channel if I don't have to. To me that would be stupid self punishment! Don't worry about me, I can afford it if I have to pay a couple of bucks a month more to get what I want. Nothing in life worthwhile is free. Everything has its price. That is why I did what I had to do to land a job that pays well.
Message 8 of 36 (5,623 Views)
Guru

codycooper864 wrote:
And why is doing what I have to do to get the Chanel's I want playing into FOX's hands? I love sports, especially baseball and college football! As I said before money is not of concern to me.

Because that's what they want you to think.  They have you by the figurative balls here.  Can't you see that?  They know that you want this content and that you'll pay for it.  This year... $1.50 per subscriber.  Next year?  $2.00.  Next year, $2.50.  $3.00.  $3.50.  $4.00.  When does it end?  It has to end!

Message 9 of 36 (5,624 Views)
Guru

And going to another carrier to get the content you want while other carriers stand their ground in not wanting to pay the already overpriced fees only gives them (Fox Sports) more reasons to raise their fees.  It has to end.

And why do they need more money?  What?  The sports players, teams, and CEOs aren't making enough?  They can't afford their fourth 200 foot yacht this year?  BOOHOO!  Cry me a river.

Message 10 of 36 (5,620 Views)

trparky wrote:

I know people aren't going to agree with me but I have to say that this stinks.  23 cents per subscriber to 80 cents is nearly a 400% increase in fees.  This is pure crap!

And for codycooper865, that's exactly what Fox Sports wants you to do.  You are playing right into their hands.  And you know what?  They are laughing all the way to the bank!

I swear, these sports networks need to be broken up!  They have become too powerful.

They are also going to be showing much more sports than they are now.  Currently they show NASCAR qualifying and practice, NASCAR Camping World Trucks and a few other motor sports on Speed.  They are moving away from that to a more inclusive sports network that will draw millions of more viewers than they currently are.  Sports is a HUGE part of our society and it's not cheap.  ESPN is over $4 per subscriber so they are still far cheaper than ESPN.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 11 of 36 (5,577 Views)
ACE - Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

...  ESPN is over $4 per subscriber so they are still far cheaper than ESPN.

But for that $4, you get the ESPN suite, including (IIRC), ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNews.  I'm not sure if ESPN3 access goes along with that.

Message 12 of 36 (5,567 Views)

For all we know the new Fox deal will include Fox, Fox Sports 1 (replacing Speed) and 2 (replacing Fuel), FX and FXX and FXM.

Message 13 of 36 (5,549 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

If you're going to make that argument, don't forget that the ESPN deal also includes Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ABC Family, ABC owned Stations, etc...

Message 14 of 36 (5,531 Views)

I think a new carriage deal with FOX is likely to include all their channels, like FX, FXX, FXM, etc as well. And FOX Sports will likely at some point introduce their own online thing similar to ESPN3/ Watch ESPN at some point as well.

And trparky, NOTHING you say has anything to do with my personal decision to choose a provider that best fits my programming wants. Right now that provider is U-Verse. But I won't hesitate to switch if that changes, just like most other people. I think you are just trolling anyway because you make little sense. FOX Sports will cost more than Speed because they have much better programming... Duh! And things go up all the time. Gas used to be under $1 and now it's over $3.
Message 15 of 36 (5,414 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.