Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 5, 2013
2:17:33 PM
View profile
FOR ALL CUSTOMERS PLAGUED WITH JUNK SPAM TELEMARKETER CALLS

I am sick & tired of deleting blank messages, fake caller ID's & trying to block these criminals who can apparently change their ID at will. ATT provides a few slots to block these numbers. but in the internet phone age these people have no problem getting around this. I am to the point of just white listing family & friends, but that's just rediculous. Our phone service providers & what ever partners necessary need to step up & give us some real tools to put a STOP to this. How about phone number ID's that don't even qualify as real don't even work? I don't know, the techies could hammer it out. WE pay for our service, & it's becoming useless except as a system for these 1diots to harrass us. Show us you care ATT!

I am sick & tired of deleting blank messages, fake caller ID's & trying to block these criminals who can apparently change their ID at will. ATT provides a few slots to block these numbers. but in the internet phone age these people have no problem getting around this. I am to the point of just white listing family & friends, but that's just rediculous. Our phone service providers & what ever partners necessary need to step up & give us some real tools to put a STOP to this. How about phone number ID's that don't even qualify as real don't even work? I don't know, the techies could hammer it out. WE pay for our service, & it's becoming useless except as a system for these 1diots to harrass us. Show us you care ATT!

FOR ALL CUSTOMERS PLAGUED WITH JUNK SPAM TELEMARKETER CALLS

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 4:20:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You could always set up exclusive call fowarding.  It will allow up to 20 phone numbers to pass through, all the rest will be given a turn away message.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

You could always set up exclusive call fowarding.  It will allow up to 20 phone numbers to pass through, all the rest will be given a turn away message.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: FOR ALL CUSTOMERS PLAGUED WITH JUNK SPAM TELEMARKETER CALLS

2 of 6 (460 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 3:20:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you're at home and they call, you should just answer them and do what I once did.

The thing I used to do with telemarketters is wait on the line and ask them for all their information.  Be polite and pretend you're interested.  Once you get their information and make sure you actually note it down correctly, politely ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list.  They must legally do this.  If they're still on the line, remind them that if they call back within a year, you will file a small small claims case against them for $500 for each offense.  The number of telemarketting calls dropped dramatically within the year I did that.  They usually won't take you off their list after a year, because you're not worth the trouble if you're willing to go through that process in the first place.  Now, if they're a scammer, you've just gathered enough data to fill out an FCC complaint and help put them out of business.

These days, there are robocalls, but the trick with them is to press 9 or 2 and they'll hang up immediately.  I remember listening through a couple of these when they first started happening.  Some of them tell you to press 9 to be placed on their Do Not Call list and some say to press 2.  Now, I just press 9 once the call starts and the computer hangs up immediately and I don't get too many of those calls anymore.  You may have to press it a few times, because the program to accept input may not have started immediately.

I've never had to add myself to the National Do Not Call list, because that just makes you available to the political organizations that happen to be exempt.  It's more work initially, but it pays off longer term.  You'll still get an occasional call from new spammers, but there's a significant reduction after the first year.  Did I mention that the politicians don't spam you if you do it my way.  I think they created the Do Not Call list as a way to gather phone numbers to use themselves.  If you move, you will have to start over if you're on a landline number that doesn't transfer and I've done that once.

If you're at home and they call, you should just answer them and do what I once did.

The thing I used to do with telemarketters is wait on the line and ask them for all their information.  Be polite and pretend you're interested.  Once you get their information and make sure you actually note it down correctly, politely ask them to put you on their Do Not Call list.  They must legally do this.  If they're still on the line, remind them that if they call back within a year, you will file a small small claims case against them for $500 for each offense.  The number of telemarketting calls dropped dramatically within the year I did that.  They usually won't take you off their list after a year, because you're not worth the trouble if you're willing to go through that process in the first place.  Now, if they're a scammer, you've just gathered enough data to fill out an FCC complaint and help put them out of business.

These days, there are robocalls, but the trick with them is to press 9 or 2 and they'll hang up immediately.  I remember listening through a couple of these when they first started happening.  Some of them tell you to press 9 to be placed on their Do Not Call list and some say to press 2.  Now, I just press 9 once the call starts and the computer hangs up immediately and I don't get too many of those calls anymore.  You may have to press it a few times, because the program to accept input may not have started immediately.

I've never had to add myself to the National Do Not Call list, because that just makes you available to the political organizations that happen to be exempt.  It's more work initially, but it pays off longer term.  You'll still get an occasional call from new spammers, but there's a significant reduction after the first year.  Did I mention that the politicians don't spam you if you do it my way.  I think they created the Do Not Call list as a way to gather phone numbers to use themselves.  If you move, you will have to start over if you're on a landline number that doesn't transfer and I've done that once.

3 of 6 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 4:58:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cathy2981 on Feb 13, 2014 at 5:01:38 PM

Thanks for the tips, but most of these unsolicited calls hangup as soon as you pickup. What could be the point of this? maybe they get a commssion for every connect? They seem to come in "waves" too, it'll be quiet for weeks/months, then a surge of many a day occur. Back to blocking the current 20 maybe spoofed numbers. Again, this hardware is becoing less & less worth having, much less paying for. I'll get a

[Inappropriate content removed]

ham radio...

Thanks for the tips, but most of these unsolicited calls hangup as soon as you pickup. What could be the point of this? maybe they get a commssion for every connect? They seem to come in "waves" too, it'll be quiet for weeks/months, then a surge of many a day occur. Back to blocking the current 20 maybe spoofed numbers. Again, this hardware is becoing less & less worth having, much less paying for. I'll get a

[Inappropriate content removed]

ham radio...

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 5:45:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The reason behind the hangups is usually predictive dialing.  A machine makes calls for a group of telemarketers, and makes new ones when it thinks a telemarketing rep is due to complete their previous call and is ready to handle a new one.  Keep in mind that making a call costs them next to nothing, and they're paying the telemarketers at least minimum wage, so--in their minds--it's better to make a call that no one is ready to work than to keep a telemarketer sitting waiting on a call to be completed.

If you answer the phone too quickly, or the telemarketer takes 10 more seconds to complete a call than the computer thinks, it has no one to connect you to and drops the call.  They are supposed to announce who they are before they hang up, but funny that never seems to happen.

The reason behind the hangups is usually predictive dialing.  A machine makes calls for a group of telemarketers, and makes new ones when it thinks a telemarketing rep is due to complete their previous call and is ready to handle a new one.  Keep in mind that making a call costs them next to nothing, and they're paying the telemarketers at least minimum wage, so--in their minds--it's better to make a call that no one is ready to work than to keep a telemarketer sitting waiting on a call to be completed.

If you answer the phone too quickly, or the telemarketer takes 10 more seconds to complete a call than the computer thinks, it has no one to connect you to and drops the call.  They are supposed to announce who they are before they hang up, but funny that never seems to happen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2014 8:15:13 AM
(0)
Former Employee

willchen wrote:

Sounds like too much work for me. I prefer my method which is simply not to answer any call if I don't recognize the caller's name. If it is someone that really needs to reach me, they can leave a message. Perhaps the computers placing these calls have figured out calls to my number don't get answered and don't call me as often because it sure seems like the number of calls I get have dropped.

Interesting note, I was getting calls from a local charity asking for clothing donations seemingly on a daily basis. I put a block on that number but that worked for only about a week. Calls started coming in from the same number but with "11" in front (i.e caller id showed a 12 digit incoming number), making it look like it was an international call. Unfortunately, the Uverse call block list doesn't handle numbers greater than 10 digits.

willchen wrote:

Sounds like too much work for me. I prefer my method which is simply not to answer any call if I don't recognize the caller's name. If it is someone that really needs to reach me, they can leave a message. Perhaps the computers placing these calls have figured out calls to my number don't get answered and don't call me as often because it sure seems like the number of calls I get have dropped.

Interesting note, I was getting calls from a local charity asking for clothing donations seemingly on a daily basis. I put a block on that number but that worked for only about a week. Calls started coming in from the same number but with "11" in front (i.e caller id showed a 12 digit incoming number), making it look like it was an international call. Unfortunately, the Uverse call block list doesn't handle numbers greater than 10 digits.

6 of 6 (154 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments