Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 4, 2014
1:20:00 PM
FIXED: Television Signal Has Been Lost and HDMI Sync Errors

I wanted to share these fixes to two problems we were consistently experiencing with one of our two wireless receivers  ...

By way of background, we have a Motorola WAP and a Cisco receiver in our master bedroom on the 2nd floor, a wired DVR receiver, router, and modem down the hall about 30 feet in my son's bedroom, and a second Cisco wireless receiver on the 1st floor directly underneath the master bedroom, about 20-25 feet away (and obviously on a different floor) from the Motorola WAP.

Since their installation, we have NEVER had a problem with the wireless STB on the first floor--farthest from the WAP.  The problems below were ONLY with the wireless STB in the master bedroom ...

(1) TELEVISION HAS LOST SIGNAL -- since it was installed, the wireless receiver in the second floor master bedroom had consistently lost its connection, usually about every 10 seconds or so.  On the box itself, you would see the 5 green bars light up, then go blank, causing the picture to freeze, and then the dreaded blue screen saying "Television Has Lost Signal" would come up.  Then the green bars would light up again and the picture would reset.  Several calls to ATT produced no solutions.  We tried switching out the wireless box and the same problem persisted.  Then, something an ATT rep said on the phone to me (though she did not have the solution) made me start playing with the orientation/placement of our equipment in that room--the wireless box, the WAP, the TV, and a DVD player.  She said "something is interfering with the signal coming from the WAP before it gets to the wireless box."  Long story short, it turned out to be the ATT U-Verse WAP box itself that was interfering with the wireless receiver.  When they were installed, the tech placed those two pieces of equipment right next to each other on the same shelf, one about 6" away from the other.  By moving the wireless box to a different (higher) shelf about 24" away from the WAP, the problem went away and never reappeared.  It seems crazy that ATT would not be aware of this apparent conflict between two pieces of their own equipment, but no one I ever spoke with at ATT or either of the two techs that came out ever suggested this might be the problem.  I am thrilled to have figured this out (on my own) after months of paying for service in our bedroom but not being able to use it.

(2)  HDMI ERROR/LINK INTERGRITY CHECK FAILED -- the other problem we were having with the same wireless box in our bedroom was that when you turn the system on, we would get a blue screen with this error.  The only way to clear it was to reset the box (a 2-3 minute proposition) or by unplugging the HDMI cable from the back of the box and plugging it back in.  Something I read on another post made me begin to believe the TV itself (an "Insignia" TV I bought for cheap for my son's room a few years ago) might be the source of the problem.  I switched out the Insignia TV with the Vizio in my daughter's room (she doesn't have a cable box in her room), and low and behold, the problem went away.

I hope this post eliminates for someone else some of the frustration that we experienced with U-Verse wireless.

I wanted to share these fixes to two problems we were consistently experiencing with one of our two wireless receivers  ...

By way of background, we have a Motorola WAP and a Cisco receiver in our master bedroom on the 2nd floor, a wired DVR receiver, router, and modem down the hall about 30 feet in my son's bedroom, and a second Cisco wireless receiver on the 1st floor directly underneath the master bedroom, about 20-25 feet away (and obviously on a different floor) from the Motorola WAP.

Since their installation, we have NEVER had a problem with the wireless STB on the first floor--farthest from the WAP.  The problems below were ONLY with the wireless STB in the master bedroom ...

(1) TELEVISION HAS LOST SIGNAL -- since it was installed, the wireless receiver in the second floor master bedroom had consistently lost its connection, usually about every 10 seconds or so.  On the box itself, you would see the 5 green bars light up, then go blank, causing the picture to freeze, and then the dreaded blue screen saying "Television Has Lost Signal" would come up.  Then the green bars would light up again and the picture would reset.  Several calls to ATT produced no solutions.  We tried switching out the wireless box and the same problem persisted.  Then, something an ATT rep said on the phone to me (though she did not have the solution) made me start playing with the orientation/placement of our equipment in that room--the wireless box, the WAP, the TV, and a DVD player.  She said "something is interfering with the signal coming from the WAP before it gets to the wireless box."  Long story short, it turned out to be the ATT U-Verse WAP box itself that was interfering with the wireless receiver.  When they were installed, the tech placed those two pieces of equipment right next to each other on the same shelf, one about 6" away from the other.  By moving the wireless box to a different (higher) shelf about 24" away from the WAP, the problem went away and never reappeared.  It seems crazy that ATT would not be aware of this apparent conflict between two pieces of their own equipment, but no one I ever spoke with at ATT or either of the two techs that came out ever suggested this might be the problem.  I am thrilled to have figured this out (on my own) after months of paying for service in our bedroom but not being able to use it.

(2)  HDMI ERROR/LINK INTERGRITY CHECK FAILED -- the other problem we were having with the same wireless box in our bedroom was that when you turn the system on, we would get a blue screen with this error.  The only way to clear it was to reset the box (a 2-3 minute proposition) or by unplugging the HDMI cable from the back of the box and plugging it back in.  Something I read on another post made me begin to believe the TV itself (an "Insignia" TV I bought for cheap for my son's room a few years ago) might be the source of the problem.  I switched out the Insignia TV with the Vizio in my daughter's room (she doesn't have a cable box in her room), and low and behold, the problem went away.

I hope this post eliminates for someone else some of the frustration that we experienced with U-Verse wireless.

FIXED: Television Signal Has Been Lost and HDMI Sync Errors

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 1:59:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
rwcntexas - Thanks for posting your experience. Everyone can learn from such experiences. Just as you put two and two together from a discussion that was not offered as a solution.

I am a little confused though - Are you saying that you have one wireless box and it is virtually adjacent to the wireless receiver?? If that is the case, just wire the receiver. Does the wire plug into the WAP? Push the little tab down and remove it from the WAP & plug it in to the receiver directly. If you have two wireless receivers, you still need the WAP, but you could direct wire the nearby receiver with another wire.

I believe the Insignia TV is one of those that does have HDMI incompatibility problems with U-verse. If you want to use it you can use component cables - http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B001ID829O/ref=pd_rhf_dp_shvl1
rwcntexas - Thanks for posting your experience. Everyone can learn from such experiences. Just as you put two and two together from a discussion that was not offered as a solution.

I am a little confused though - Are you saying that you have one wireless box and it is virtually adjacent to the wireless receiver?? If that is the case, just wire the receiver. Does the wire plug into the WAP? Push the little tab down and remove it from the WAP & plug it in to the receiver directly. If you have two wireless receivers, you still need the WAP, but you could direct wire the nearby receiver with another wire.

I believe the Insignia TV is one of those that does have HDMI incompatibility problems with U-verse. If you want to use it you can use component cables - http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Component-Video-Cable-Audio/dp/B001ID829O/ref=pd_rhf_dp_shvl1
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: FIXED: Television Signal Has Been Lost and HDMI Sync Errors

2 of 9 (2,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 2:33:30 PM
(0)
Master

aviewer wrote:

I'm a tad confused as well. Why in the world, if there was CAT5 to the master, would they even use a wireless receiver? They should have hard wired that receiver and put the WAP in the son's room with the gateway.

Do they charge more for wireless receivers?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

aviewer wrote:

I'm a tad confused as well. Why in the world, if there was CAT5 to the master, would they even use a wireless receiver? They should have hard wired that receiver and put the WAP in the son's room with the gateway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 9 (2,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 3:52:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

aviewer wrote:

Let me say (if it is not already obvious) that I am no tech guru ... just reporting what I experienced ...

Now I'm confused.  You are saying that the wireless receiver in the master bedroom can be plugged in instead?  The setup in that room (for whatever reason, the tech set it up that way) is that there is a wireless box sitting near (used to be sitting next to) a WAP that plugs into the wall inches away with an ethernet cable.  (The "main" router/modem and wired DVR is down the hall in the son's room.)  There is ANOTHER wireless box downstairs (alone--no other ATT equipment there).

aviewer wrote:

Let me say (if it is not already obvious) that I am no tech guru ... just reporting what I experienced ...

Now I'm confused.  You are saying that the wireless receiver in the master bedroom can be plugged in instead?  The setup in that room (for whatever reason, the tech set it up that way) is that there is a wireless box sitting near (used to be sitting next to) a WAP that plugs into the wall inches away with an ethernet cable.  (The "main" router/modem and wired DVR is down the hall in the son's room.)  There is ANOTHER wireless box downstairs (alone--no other ATT equipment there).

4 of 9 (2,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 4:00:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Computer-Joe wrote:

aviewer wrote:

I have no idea why they set it up this way.  But, yes, there is jack with an ethernet cable running into it from the Motorola WAP in the master.  There is also something similar(?) (jack) in my son's bedroom where he has the old-style/wired DVR box and router and modem.  (All that equipment used to be in the master at one point, but way way back some U-Verse tech moved all of it (against our wishes) to the son's bedroom when we installed a TV box for him as a gift.)  When this latest wireless setup was installed, they told us they weren't charging us for the wireless boxes because we protested after having a TERRIBLE experience with U-Verse wireless version 1.  (This version is far superior.)

Computer-Joe wrote:

aviewer wrote:

I have no idea why they set it up this way.  But, yes, there is jack with an ethernet cable running into it from the Motorola WAP in the master.  There is also something similar(?) (jack) in my son's bedroom where he has the old-style/wired DVR box and router and modem.  (All that equipment used to be in the master at one point, but way way back some U-Verse tech moved all of it (against our wishes) to the son's bedroom when we installed a TV box for him as a gift.)  When this latest wireless setup was installed, they told us they weren't charging us for the wireless boxes because we protested after having a TERRIBLE experience with U-Verse wireless version 1.  (This version is far superior.)

5 of 9 (2,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 4:45:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
rwcntexas - you did fine in the reporting. I did not do that well in the reading. I did not keep in my mind that you had two wireless receivers.

I think CJ picked up on moving the WAP to the same location as router/modem (AKA RG). This should give you good coverage for both wireless receivers. If not the one where the WAP is now could be plugged into the wall where the WAP is now connected.

Are all the ports on the RG used up?

I do not like to second guess techs on what they did in the past because I do not know all the details & am not under the same pressures and constraints. Even any recommendations I can provide are just possibilities that appear to match what I think you have.
rwcntexas - you did fine in the reporting. I did not do that well in the reading. I did not keep in my mind that you had two wireless receivers.

I think CJ picked up on moving the WAP to the same location as router/modem (AKA RG). This should give you good coverage for both wireless receivers. If not the one where the WAP is now could be plugged into the wall where the WAP is now connected.

Are all the ports on the RG used up?

I do not like to second guess techs on what they did in the past because I do not know all the details & am not under the same pressures and constraints. Even any recommendations I can provide are just possibilities that appear to match what I think you have.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (2,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 4:54:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks.  I think I'm going to leave it as it is for now because I'm a little giddy about having all my services finally working!

Thanks.  I think I'm going to leave it as it is for now because I'm a little giddy about having all my services finally working!

7 of 9 (2,070 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 4:59:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
That I understamd.
That I understamd.

8 of 9 (2,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 4:48:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

OK - this has GOT to be a software issue;

To fix without getting up from couch and unplugging & plugging in the DVR - DO THE FOLLOWING;

WITH THE TV DISPLAYING HDMI ERROR;

o  ON AT&T REMOTE - hit <MENU>

o  Hit the <Right Arrow> Button on remote until the  <Options> is selected

o  Hit the <Down Arrow> Button until <System Options> hit <Ok> on the remote 

o  Hit <Down Arrow> Button until <TV screen resolution> is highlighted - hit <Ok>

o  With the word <Continue> highlighted - hit <Ok> 

o  Select <Start Test> and hit <Ok>

o  Select EITHER <Keep Changes> or <Cancel> (since you didn't change resolution) 

Your HD TV will now work with existing cable, and not need to be plugged in and unplugged.

OK - this has GOT to be a software issue;

To fix without getting up from couch and unplugging & plugging in the DVR - DO THE FOLLOWING;

WITH THE TV DISPLAYING HDMI ERROR;

o  ON AT&T REMOTE - hit <MENU>

o  Hit the <Right Arrow> Button on remote until the  <Options> is selected

o  Hit the <Down Arrow> Button until <System Options> hit <Ok> on the remote 

o  Hit <Down Arrow> Button until <TV screen resolution> is highlighted - hit <Ok>

o  With the word <Continue> highlighted - hit <Ok> 

o  Select <Start Test> and hit <Ok>

o  Select EITHER <Keep Changes> or <Cancel> (since you didn't change resolution) 

Your HD TV will now work with existing cable, and not need to be plugged in and unplugged.

9 of 9 (1,941 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments