Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 20, 2013
11:25:21 PM
View profile
Extremely slow internet connection in the evening

I have replaced my modem twice. Had AT&T trouble shoot through the phone and had the technician come twice. I still have very slow internet speeds only in the evening!

AT&T tech told me it could be the shows recording from the DVR? Can anyone out there help me solve this. It's frustrating that I am paying 24 Mbps and only getting average 8-10 Mbps only in the evening.

I have replaced my modem twice. Had AT&T trouble shoot through the phone and had the technician come twice. I still have very slow internet speeds only in the evening!

AT&T tech told me it could be the shows recording from the DVR? Can anyone out there help me solve this. It's frustrating that I am paying 24 Mbps and only getting average 8-10 Mbps only in the evening.

Extremely slow internet connection in the evening

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(8)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 12:14:25 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Nov 21, 2013 at 12:16:06 AM

First testing hardwired correct?, not wireless...as may be wifi interference experiencing in evening.

Second bandwidth is shared, for 24M internet have 32M profile, each HD stream (input) uses about 6M
If only 1 HD stream should see no real affect but using 3 (recordingor watching) 32-6-6-6= 14 availabe
Of 14M available for internet at 90% wold expect 12 HARDWIRED, LESS WIRELESS.

http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html

The speeds identified at

http://att.com/speedtiers

data between the network interface device at your home, office or apartment building to the first piece of routing equipment in AT&T’s network. Service Capability Speeds should not be confused with Throughput Speed, which is the speed at which your modem receives and sends Internet access data (“Throughput Speed”). These speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Throughput speed depends upon many factors including customer location, destination and traffic on the Internet, interference with high frequency spectrum on your telephone line, wiring inside your home, office or apartment, the capacity or performance of your computer or modem, the server with which you are communicating, internal network factors, and the networks you and others are using when communicating. In order to provide aconsistently high-quality video service, AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products.

Please again note... AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products

Best way to check unplug all set top box receivers when running speedtests, hardwired...if speeds are there then your usage of IPTV is reducing your speeds, if majority of your internet usage occurs during same time as TV watching/recording may wish to consider balancing usage, record shows at other times if available and watch pre recorded programs instead of live TV when expecting heavy internet usage.

First testing hardwired correct?, not wireless...as may be wifi interference experiencing in evening.

Second bandwidth is shared, for 24M internet have 32M profile, each HD stream (input) uses about 6M
If only 1 HD stream should see no real affect but using 3 (recordingor watching) 32-6-6-6= 14 availabe
Of 14M available for internet at 90% wold expect 12 HARDWIRED, LESS WIRELESS.

http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html

The speeds identified at

http://att.com/speedtiers

data between the network interface device at your home, office or apartment building to the first piece of routing equipment in AT&T’s network. Service Capability Speeds should not be confused with Throughput Speed, which is the speed at which your modem receives and sends Internet access data (“Throughput Speed”). These speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Throughput speed depends upon many factors including customer location, destination and traffic on the Internet, interference with high frequency spectrum on your telephone line, wiring inside your home, office or apartment, the capacity or performance of your computer or modem, the server with which you are communicating, internal network factors, and the networks you and others are using when communicating. In order to provide aconsistently high-quality video service, AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products.

Please again note... AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products

Best way to check unplug all set top box receivers when running speedtests, hardwired...if speeds are there then your usage of IPTV is reducing your speeds, if majority of your internet usage occurs during same time as TV watching/recording may wish to consider balancing usage, record shows at other times if available and watch pre recorded programs instead of live TV when expecting heavy internet usage.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Extremely slow internet connection in the evening

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 1:22:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by dbags on Nov 24, 2013 at 1:23:40 PM

A bit unrelated, but why does AT&T make it so difficult to find out what the upstream speeds are with each package? Just doesn't make sense. The link you provided to speed tiers should have a third column for upload speeds, but doesn't and most comparison charts don't as well.

A bit unrelated, but why does AT&T make it so difficult to find out what the upstream speeds are with each package? Just doesn't make sense. The link you provided to speed tiers should have a third column for upload speeds, but doesn't and most comparison charts don't as well.

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (2,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 6:58:17 PM
(0)
Employee
PRO ..........................3/1......... $41 normal price
ELITE.........................6/1..........$46
MAX..........................12/1.5.....$51
MAX PLUS................18/1.5.....$56
MAX TURBO.............24/3........$66
POWER.....................45/6.........$76

Various combinations of discounts exist for new and renewing customers, internet only is 12 months, $11.05 off.
PRO ..........................3/1......... $41 normal price
ELITE.........................6/1..........$46
MAX..........................12/1.5.....$51
MAX PLUS................18/1.5.....$56
MAX TURBO.............24/3........$66
POWER.....................45/6.........$76

Various combinations of discounts exist for new and renewing customers, internet only is 12 months, $11.05 off.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (2,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 1:28:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had similar situations including the tech telling me that the speed I was purchasing was faster than what the wiring on my apartment building could handle.  This caused it to go half as slow as their slowest/cheapest rate.  In short, they offer only dial up which is ten times slower than cable.  They are crooks that just want your money and have no way of delivering what we need.  Cable is what we need.  I've tried getting out of the contract; you could be dead and they will not let you out and make you pay until the contract is up.  Best of luck to you and so sorry that you are in the same boat as me.  I only have 8 more months of this torture, then I'll switch back to cable, which is from this century and fast.

I had similar situations including the tech telling me that the speed I was purchasing was faster than what the wiring on my apartment building could handle.  This caused it to go half as slow as their slowest/cheapest rate.  In short, they offer only dial up which is ten times slower than cable.  They are crooks that just want your money and have no way of delivering what we need.  Cable is what we need.  I've tried getting out of the contract; you could be dead and they will not let you out and make you pay until the contract is up.  Best of luck to you and so sorry that you are in the same boat as me.  I only have 8 more months of this torture, then I'll switch back to cable, which is from this century and fast.

5 of 9 (2,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 1:35:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

Cable has NONE of the problems you mentioned.  Therefore, because ATT uses ancient methods of delivering internet, there is no way that they can deliver fast internet speed.

Unfortunately, you cannot get out of a contract even if you are dead; I tried.  You can move, die, go to heaven and they will still charge three times as much as cable for 1/100th  the speed of cable.  It's a legal form of stealing that ATT practices. 

We live and learn to never ever purchase anything that says the letters ATT on it.

Thank you and have a nice day

Cable has NONE of the problems you mentioned.  Therefore, because ATT uses ancient methods of delivering internet, there is no way that they can deliver fast internet speed.

Unfortunately, you cannot get out of a contract even if you are dead; I tried.  You can move, die, go to heaven and they will still charge three times as much as cable for 1/100th  the speed of cable.  It's a legal form of stealing that ATT practices. 

We live and learn to never ever purchase anything that says the letters ATT on it.

Thank you and have a nice day

6 of 9 (2,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 6:59:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not everyone has the same experience with a vendor.  My experience with AT&T TV and High Speed Internet has been head and shoulders above my previous vendor, the cable provider Charter Communications.

Charter has more issues where your neighbor can affect your High Speed Internet and customer service is worse than AT&T's.  Plus the SD channel reception is not nearly as good as AT&T's.

Not everyone has the same experience with a vendor.  My experience with AT&T TV and High Speed Internet has been head and shoulders above my previous vendor, the cable provider Charter Communications.

Charter has more issues where your neighbor can affect your High Speed Internet and customer service is worse than AT&T's.  Plus the SD channel reception is not nearly as good as AT&T's.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (2,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2015 6:37:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Consider yourself lucky. The fastest available here is 6 mbps. Right now my ping is 806 download is 1.89 and upload is 0.03. We've been having constant problems with our Internet for the past year.
Consider yourself lucky. The fastest available here is 6 mbps. Right now my ping is 806 download is 1.89 and upload is 0.03. We've been having constant problems with our Internet for the past year.

8 of 9 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2015 8:15:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

TrulyWiked wrote:

Anything using the upload?  Saturating the upload will kill the download and cause huge latency problems and slow downloads. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

TrulyWiked wrote:

Anything using the upload?  Saturating the upload will kill the download and cause huge latency problems and slow downloads. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 9 (456 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments