Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 27, 2013
7:30:43 PM
View profile
Excessive Reboots / Lost Settings
Edited by AudioHTIT on Oct 27, 2013 at 8:00:24 PM

My uverse system consists of (1) VIP2250 DVR (wired), (1) VIP1200 (wired), (2) ISB7005 (wireless), (1) NVG589. We've had uverse service a little over 3 months, U300 plan, 2 phone lines, 18Mbps Internet. 

For various problems I have done a systematic reboot of all components about twice a month since installation. Most recently the VIP1200 and ISB7005's have reported a lost connection to the DVR - can't pause, record, play recordings. A reboot of the 2250 alone generally solves this problem, we've had to do it about twice a week for the last couple weeks. 

Not only do I find this quite inconvenient (like getting out of bed in the middle of the night to play a recording), but it also seems the VIP2250 is losing it's settings after a reboot. Specifically the 1080i setting reverts to 720p, and the surround setting reverts to stereo. This is quite noticeable on the 'big system' connected to the 2250, but I don't always think to check the 2250's settings when I first notice things being wrong (like tonight's World Series in Stereo). 

Are we expected to reboot our systems this often? If so why don't they have a scheduled reboot (like the Dish DVRs)? Is it normal to lose your settings with a reboot? Thanks for your input. 

My uverse system consists of (1) VIP2250 DVR (wired), (1) VIP1200 (wired), (2) ISB7005 (wireless), (1) NVG589. We've had uverse service a little over 3 months, U300 plan, 2 phone lines, 18Mbps Internet. 

For various problems I have done a systematic reboot of all components about twice a month since installation. Most recently the VIP1200 and ISB7005's have reported a lost connection to the DVR - can't pause, record, play recordings. A reboot of the 2250 alone generally solves this problem, we've had to do it about twice a week for the last couple weeks. 

Not only do I find this quite inconvenient (like getting out of bed in the middle of the night to play a recording), but it also seems the VIP2250 is losing it's settings after a reboot. Specifically the 1080i setting reverts to 720p, and the surround setting reverts to stereo. This is quite noticeable on the 'big system' connected to the 2250, but I don't always think to check the 2250's settings when I first notice things being wrong (like tonight's World Series in Stereo). 

Are we expected to reboot our systems this often? If so why don't they have a scheduled reboot (like the Dish DVRs)? Is it normal to lose your settings with a reboot? Thanks for your input. 

Excessive Reboots / Lost Settings

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 8:05:13 PM
(0)
Employee
If this is an on going issue, suspect corruption in RG which maintains device list.
When the various set top boxes fail to see the DVR get the stated message(s).
Rebooting dvr simple is allowing RG to rediscover DVR location, how connected.

Recommend factory reset of RG (will lose any custom setups on RG, will need to reconfigure if changes from standard.
Unplug all devices, factory reset RG, depress button above power connection while plugging in, allow 15 to 20 minutes to take on new program, reboot.
If do not mind losing recordings, also recommend factory reset of 2250 DVR.
If wish to keep current recordings, skip this but I would prefer to start as a new install, with DVR reformatted.

After RG as rebooted (20 min) plug in DVR, allow 10 min if not factory reset, 20 if factory reset.
Reprogram aspect ratio, sound settings.

After DVR functions have been verified, plug in WAP, and additional receivers.
Allow time for each to load guide and DVR (about 10 minutes).

This should resolve this ongoing issue.

If this is an on going issue, suspect corruption in RG which maintains device list.
When the various set top boxes fail to see the DVR get the stated message(s).
Rebooting dvr simple is allowing RG to rediscover DVR location, how connected.

Recommend factory reset of RG (will lose any custom setups on RG, will need to reconfigure if changes from standard.
Unplug all devices, factory reset RG, depress button above power connection while plugging in, allow 15 to 20 minutes to take on new program, reboot.
If do not mind losing recordings, also recommend factory reset of 2250 DVR.
If wish to keep current recordings, skip this but I would prefer to start as a new install, with DVR reformatted.

After RG as rebooted (20 min) plug in DVR, allow 10 min if not factory reset, 20 if factory reset.
Reprogram aspect ratio, sound settings.

After DVR functions have been verified, plug in WAP, and additional receivers.
Allow time for each to load guide and DVR (about 10 minutes).

This should resolve this ongoing issue.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Excessive Reboots / Lost Settings

2 of 9 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 8:36:21 PM
(0)
Explorer

Thanks for 'your thoughts' and recommendations. I do have a couple static DHCP addresses for my HTPC, and desktop, but they're easy to redo. So factory settings on 589 and systematic restart of the rest. I'm not willing to give up all my recordings at this point so no go on the 2250, maybe later in the year (unless they're easy to transfer to a USB drive? Haven't tried that). 

One question remains, should settings be lost (as I described) on a reboot of the 2250 (or the other units for that matter)?

Thanks for your help. 

Thanks for 'your thoughts' and recommendations. I do have a couple static DHCP addresses for my HTPC, and desktop, but they're easy to redo. So factory settings on 589 and systematic restart of the rest. I'm not willing to give up all my recordings at this point so no go on the 2250, maybe later in the year (unless they're easy to transfer to a USB drive? Haven't tried that). 

One question remains, should settings be lost (as I described) on a reboot of the 2250 (or the other units for that matter)?

Thanks for your help. 

3 of 9 (357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 2:44:11 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi AudioHTIT,

I apologize for your huge inconveniences of constantly having to reboot your equipment to get the total home DVR to work. In regards to losing your system settings on the receiver every time you reboot, this should not be happening. When you reboot, does it go back to the last channel you were on when it comes up, or does it go to the Video on Demand screen? Also, how are you performing the reboot?

Regarding the total home DVR feature, we can try to replace the router to see if that will help, but it may be an issue with the DVR. If you are interested in exploring that option, feel free to reach out to us by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hi AudioHTIT,

I apologize for your huge inconveniences of constantly having to reboot your equipment to get the total home DVR to work. In regards to losing your system settings on the receiver every time you reboot, this should not be happening. When you reboot, does it go back to the last channel you were on when it comes up, or does it go to the Video on Demand screen? Also, how are you performing the reboot?

Regarding the total home DVR feature, we can try to replace the router to see if that will help, but it may be an issue with the DVR. If you are interested in exploring that option, feel free to reach out to us by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 6:54:48 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by AudioHTIT on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:22:54 PM

David -

Thanks for your reply, today I followed 'my thoughts' suggestions, I unplugged all my wired and wireless devices, then removed power from the router and held the reset as I plugged it back in. I actually had to do it twice, removing the battery the second time. It would be nice to be able to do a factory reset from the configuration page as you can a reboot - pulling the power doesn't work for either function when you have a battery, and the flimsy battery cover is difficult to remove.

After repowering the router and re-setting up my wireless network I plugged the DVR and other units in. So far the only difference is that our internet speeds are back up where they should be, everything else is working normally. We'll have to wait and see whether we have to reboot the DVR anytime soon (I have typically rebooted the DVR only by holding in the power switch - I pull the power when doing the systematic reboot). 

I'll let you know if we continue to have problems - one of the techs mentioned we are near the length limit for a 1 pair install, I don't know if this is something I can see or you can check. 

Thanks again for your reply - 'my thoughts' too. - Bruce

P.S. The DVR did not lose its audio & video settings this time. I did have to reset them a couple nights ago, but they were correct about a week ago, there was at least one 'DVR only' reboot in between. Not sure what's causing that. 

David -

Thanks for your reply, today I followed 'my thoughts' suggestions, I unplugged all my wired and wireless devices, then removed power from the router and held the reset as I plugged it back in. I actually had to do it twice, removing the battery the second time. It would be nice to be able to do a factory reset from the configuration page as you can a reboot - pulling the power doesn't work for either function when you have a battery, and the flimsy battery cover is difficult to remove.

After repowering the router and re-setting up my wireless network I plugged the DVR and other units in. So far the only difference is that our internet speeds are back up where they should be, everything else is working normally. We'll have to wait and see whether we have to reboot the DVR anytime soon (I have typically rebooted the DVR only by holding in the power switch - I pull the power when doing the systematic reboot). 

I'll let you know if we continue to have problems - one of the techs mentioned we are near the length limit for a 1 pair install, I don't know if this is something I can see or you can check. 

Thanks again for your reply - 'my thoughts' too. - Bruce

P.S. The DVR did not lose its audio & video settings this time. I did have to reset them a couple nights ago, but they were correct about a week ago, there was at least one 'DVR only' reboot in between. Not sure what's causing that. 

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 8:16:43 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for updating us, and hopefully, everything functions properly from here on out. With all systems, you get the occasional hiccup, but that's what it should be, occasional. If any problems, though, let me know, and I will be glad to help.

-David T

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for updating us, and hopefully, everything functions properly from here on out. With all systems, you get the occasional hiccup, but that's what it should be, occasional. If any problems, though, let me know, and I will be glad to help.

-David T

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 9 (286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 9:21:12 AM
(0)
Explorer

Well less than one day in and first problem. I had paused a program this morning and was watching through the buffer, when a commercial came on I jumped forward a couple times and then was presented with:

"This channel has jumped to live TV to allow TV viewing or recording on the DVR receiver."

There was no recording scheduled and we have about 65% free recording space, no other TVs were in use. This is not the first time I've received this error, shortly after starting our uverse service we started getting this and I posted in another thread. The systematic reboot was suggested (I worked in IT for 26 years so I'm familiar with the 'Saturday Night Live' solution). This is one of the problems that's had me rebooting regularly over the last few months, slow Internet speed being the third I can recollect off hand.

I await any suggestions on how to proceed toward a (relatively) problem free system, I can open a case through the support link if necessary.

Well less than one day in and first problem. I had paused a program this morning and was watching through the buffer, when a commercial came on I jumped forward a couple times and then was presented with:

"This channel has jumped to live TV to allow TV viewing or recording on the DVR receiver."

There was no recording scheduled and we have about 65% free recording space, no other TVs were in use. This is not the first time I've received this error, shortly after starting our uverse service we started getting this and I posted in another thread. The systematic reboot was suggested (I worked in IT for 26 years so I'm familiar with the 'Saturday Night Live' solution). This is one of the problems that's had me rebooting regularly over the last few months, slow Internet speed being the third I can recollect off hand.

I await any suggestions on how to proceed toward a (relatively) problem free system, I can open a case through the support link if necessary.

7 of 9 (281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 10:15:44 AM
(0)
Community Support

It may be time to change out the equipment sadly. The only thing I can think of that might be causing any issues is any additional equipment that is on the router. If you have any devices that are using the gateway to handle an internal network, it may be best to separate that traffic with another router.

I will be happy to assist with getting your equipment replaced. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

-David T

It may be time to change out the equipment sadly. The only thing I can think of that might be causing any issues is any additional equipment that is on the router. If you have any devices that are using the gateway to handle an internal network, it may be best to separate that traffic with another router.

I will be happy to assist with getting your equipment replaced. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

-David T

8 of 9 (273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 9:33:47 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi AudioHTIT,

We have received your private message and look forward to working with you to resolve your issues.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi AudioHTIT,

We have received your private message and look forward to working with you to resolve your issues.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

9 of 9 (222 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments