Email Server DNS

ACE - Guru

Email Server DNS

Once and a while I get an unable to reach server message from my Mac's Mail app. I have  a data capture of the issue but have not completely finished my analysis as yet. I did find a curious packet regarding a DNS response. It listed three servers:

smtp-sbc.mail.yahoo.com: type CNAME, class IN, cname smtp1.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net

smtp1.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net: type A, class IN, addr 98.138.31.74

smtp1.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net: type A, class IN, addr 67.195.15.66

smtp1.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net: type A, class IN, addr 98.139.221.42

When I saw a DNS query for the POP server, I received a response with one IP address.

Is there a DNS design issue here? I say that because there are at least two different networks here.

Also, I noticed two DNS queries from my Mac:

smtp1.sbc.mail.am0.yahoodns.net: type A, class IN

and

smtp-sbc.mail.yahoo.com: type A, class IN

I only use smtp.att.yahoo.com in my Mail preferences.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 10 (932 Views)
Community Support

Re: Email Server DNS

I may be wrong on this, but the way it was explained to me in the past is that we have a redundancy setup on our e-mail servers so that there are multiple domain names and multiple IPs that are valid for the AT&T E-mail. Even some of the legacy domain names out there are still operational. But one thing that might be worth trying is changing your outbound mail preference to outbound.att.net and see if it produces better results.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10 (932 Views)
ACE - Guru

Well now we broke it... my password does not work

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (932 Views)
Community Support

Oh no. I apologize for that. That should not have happened when we changed the server. Are you still able to login to the mail.yahoo.com site?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10 (932 Views)
ACE - Guru

Yes, restored the old server name and everything is back.

This begs the question, if it should have worked, why didn't it?

Message 5 of 10 (932 Views)
Community Support

Sorry, it may not have worked. I just made several assumptions in advance. It should work if your account has been migrated to U-verse and is setup as the primary U-verse ID on that account. Also, it should work if it is an @att.net account. It does not have to be as I have seen @sbcglobal.net and other previous AT&T domains work. But if it does not meet those criteria, then that might have been the reason it did not work.

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 10 (932 Views)
ACE - Guru

:smileylaugh:

I am a att.net email account.

While my U-Verse account is only several years old, my cell service may be the migration challenge. I started with BellSouth, which went to Cingular, which then went to ATT. So I think I may have had an ATT email account prior to my U-Verse. I also have had a Yahoo account forever.

I do have a primary U-Verse email account which is RWM*****@att.net . I have one other that is my everyday ID; RonM*****.att.net .

Okay, what will it take to get me on a mail server that is strategic for ATT, not necessarily a contracted out one. Back where I come from we would refer to it as the 'golden' email server. Eats at the Pecan Lodge perhaps?

Message 7 of 10 (932 Views)
Highlighted
Community Support

If you are using the primary e-mail address on your account, it should work with the outbound.att.net but it might be because of the information you posted where the e-mail was created before you had U-verse services. Rest assured, with all our domain names we advertise, they do lead to our primary mail servers that are all managed with the same protocols.

One thing that I should have mentioned earlier is when you try the outbound.att.net, it sometimes gives you that wrong password or user name error. Go to att.net and login, and then logout. Then go to mail.yahoo.com and login, and test again. Sometimes some flag is triggered, and by just logging into the account through our webmail servers, it resolves it.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 10 (932 Views)
ACE - Guru

ding ding ding ding

Magic.

I changed to inbound.att.net first and made sure that worked. Then I changed to outbound.att.net and went to yahoo mail. Then from Apple Mail I sent an email and received. It worked.

Thanks David

Message 9 of 10 (932 Views)
Community Support

That's great to hear. Hopefully, that helps with the issue with it intermittently sending. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 10 (932 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.