Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 15, 2011
1:28:20 PM
View profile
Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

HI;

I'm on the 18/1.5Mbps plan.  My speed tests on the line show very close to 18 and virtually are always at 1.5Mbps.

I've been uploading photos and videos in the background.  I limited it to using 1300kbps, which should leave me a solid 200kbps free, not a lot, but should be enough for sending some simple requests.

If I try and download a test file from a known fast site (one that normally gets 10+Mbps), My network useage will go up to maybe 5-7Mbps at the most, but will hover much lower for most of the download, more like 3-4Mbps.

The test file I am downloading is a single 100MB file, so there should not be a lot of information that needs to be sent, it is mainly a request for the file, then I should be downloading it.

So why is it that I can't download more quickly while uploading, even when my upload is not maxing out the connection and there should be plenty of upload bandwidth available to send the requests promptly?

When I limited my uploads to about 85% of my up stream connection, I thought that would give me enough room for most of my downloading activties to work properly, but this isn't proving to ne the case.

Jamie

HI;

I'm on the 18/1.5Mbps plan.  My speed tests on the line show very close to 18 and virtually are always at 1.5Mbps.

I've been uploading photos and videos in the background.  I limited it to using 1300kbps, which should leave me a solid 200kbps free, not a lot, but should be enough for sending some simple requests.

If I try and download a test file from a known fast site (one that normally gets 10+Mbps), My network useage will go up to maybe 5-7Mbps at the most, but will hover much lower for most of the download, more like 3-4Mbps.

The test file I am downloading is a single 100MB file, so there should not be a lot of information that needs to be sent, it is mainly a request for the file, then I should be downloading it.

So why is it that I can't download more quickly while uploading, even when my upload is not maxing out the connection and there should be plenty of upload bandwidth available to send the requests promptly?

When I limited my uploads to about 85% of my up stream connection, I thought that would give me enough room for most of my downloading activties to work properly, but this isn't proving to ne the case.

Jamie

Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

90 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(90)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2011 1:06:53 PM
(0)
Employee

jamiedolan wrote:

Hello;

I've found that I can watch Netflix from my Laptop (with the laptop connected via wireless) even when I am uploading to YouTube from my hard wired computer.

However, trying to watch the same Netflix movie on the Wii while I am uploading to YouTube and it is so slow it is basically unwatchable.

Netflix works from the Wii:

1. If I am not uploading to YouTube.

2. If I am uploading only with my backup program.

Netflix is functional from my Laptop with a wireless connection regardless of what I am uploading.

Is this just likely a limitation of the Wii?  Since I am finding that I can stream via wireless to my laptop even when I am uploading.

Thanks

Jamie

That appears to be the case, but I have no direct experience with Wii. and no friends (with a Wii) that are using it in a similar manner.

Check / try the stuff that David recommends; it all sounds like a reasonable possibility.

jamiedolan wrote:

Hello;

I've found that I can watch Netflix from my Laptop (with the laptop connected via wireless) even when I am uploading to YouTube from my hard wired computer.

However, trying to watch the same Netflix movie on the Wii while I am uploading to YouTube and it is so slow it is basically unwatchable.

Netflix works from the Wii:

1. If I am not uploading to YouTube.

2. If I am uploading only with my backup program.

Netflix is functional from my Laptop with a wireless connection regardless of what I am uploading.

Is this just likely a limitation of the Wii?  Since I am finding that I can stream via wireless to my laptop even when I am uploading.

Thanks

Jamie

That appears to be the case, but I have no direct experience with Wii. and no friends (with a Wii) that are using it in a similar manner.

Check / try the stuff that David recommends; it all sounds like a reasonable possibility.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

31 of 91 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2011 1:06:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 91 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2011 11:21:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

David wrote:

Nintendo wii and netflix.

Now something I did when it came to netflix using on the nintendo wii. I have a regular DSL (and not uverse) so this is somewhat relevant.

What I did (and since I have a 768kbps upstream) was set the wii's upstream and downstream not to go above 3000/512.

When I did this, I can still upload to various sites and even bit torrent. I just have to make sure for my bit-torrent purposes that it is less than 256kbps upstream.

Now I did this by putting the nintendo wii (via wireless) to a dd-wrt router (where I can control the upstream and downstream rates) . If you are watching via the nintendo wii, you really shouldn't need much more than say 2mbps downstream and 512kbps upstream.

Also, be sure to keep up with the updates for the Wii. If you don't have firmware 4.3u, you might have problems on the Wii and it's buffering. According to various other friends that own wii's supposedly going to 4.3u solved a lot of their buffering problems as well (a few of my friends were homebrewers, which may have given additonal problems.). Some on charter cable, some on AT&T DSL.

Thanks for your response and the suggestions.  As far as I can tell, none of my routers will allow me to limit the speed of a connection.

I found a program called Netlimiter that I installed on my desktop and started to play with today.  It looks like it will let me limit the bandwidth use of specfic processes, such as the browser that is uploading to YouTube.  I've not tested it enough to know how well it works yet, but it appears to do what it says it does.  The read out of the traffic used is exactly what you set it to.

The program also allows you to setup rules that will restrict the use at diffrent times.  So I set it up starting at 8:00 p.m. (till 2:00) to allow my computer to use a maxium of 1Mbps (the time frame I am likely to watch netflix in).

I've not found a way with the program to group several items, such as my backup program, a YouTube upload window, and Picasa, and be able to set a max for all of them together of 1Mbps, while allowing me to use the rest of my .5Mbps on my PC for other programs (i.e. browsing).

I'll experiment with it some more.  It is a free trial now and is only $20 -$30 depending on the version.  It will be a pretty reasonable cost solution if it works out well.  I think the time of day limit is a huge advantage, as if it works properly, then it will automatically give me additional bandwidth for the Wii during the time frame I am using the Wii, but I don't have to restrict the bandwidth during the rest of the day.

I'll update this again after I have some more time to explore and see how it works out.

Thanks again for the help;

Jamie

David wrote:

Nintendo wii and netflix.

Now something I did when it came to netflix using on the nintendo wii. I have a regular DSL (and not uverse) so this is somewhat relevant.

What I did (and since I have a 768kbps upstream) was set the wii's upstream and downstream not to go above 3000/512.

When I did this, I can still upload to various sites and even bit torrent. I just have to make sure for my bit-torrent purposes that it is less than 256kbps upstream.

Now I did this by putting the nintendo wii (via wireless) to a dd-wrt router (where I can control the upstream and downstream rates) . If you are watching via the nintendo wii, you really shouldn't need much more than say 2mbps downstream and 512kbps upstream.

Also, be sure to keep up with the updates for the Wii. If you don't have firmware 4.3u, you might have problems on the Wii and it's buffering. According to various other friends that own wii's supposedly going to 4.3u solved a lot of their buffering problems as well (a few of my friends were homebrewers, which may have given additonal problems.). Some on charter cable, some on AT&T DSL.

Thanks for your response and the suggestions.  As far as I can tell, none of my routers will allow me to limit the speed of a connection.

I found a program called Netlimiter that I installed on my desktop and started to play with today.  It looks like it will let me limit the bandwidth use of specfic processes, such as the browser that is uploading to YouTube.  I've not tested it enough to know how well it works yet, but it appears to do what it says it does.  The read out of the traffic used is exactly what you set it to.

The program also allows you to setup rules that will restrict the use at diffrent times.  So I set it up starting at 8:00 p.m. (till 2:00) to allow my computer to use a maxium of 1Mbps (the time frame I am likely to watch netflix in).

I've not found a way with the program to group several items, such as my backup program, a YouTube upload window, and Picasa, and be able to set a max for all of them together of 1Mbps, while allowing me to use the rest of my .5Mbps on my PC for other programs (i.e. browsing).

I'll experiment with it some more.  It is a free trial now and is only $20 -$30 depending on the version.  It will be a pretty reasonable cost solution if it works out well.  I think the time of day limit is a huge advantage, as if it works properly, then it will automatically give me additional bandwidth for the Wii during the time frame I am using the Wii, but I don't have to restrict the bandwidth during the rest of the day.

I'll update this again after I have some more time to explore and see how it works out.

Thanks again for the help;

Jamie

33 of 91 (757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 2:02:04 PM
(0)
Employee

ok and good, glad you found that one. For a router to do it, you would want to find one that does QoS (aka Quality of Service) in it's programming.

So far the ones I know that can do it

-Monowall

-dd-wrt (either on a linksys wrt54g, or other brands check dd-wrt.com for more info)

-certain netgears

-belkin (don't know exact models)

-certain linksys e series routers (not sure but I thought e4200 was one).

Again what you would be looking for, would be for the router to do QoS.

ok and good, glad you found that one. For a router to do it, you would want to find one that does QoS (aka Quality of Service) in it's programming.

-Monowall

-dd-wrt (either on a linksys wrt54g, or other brands check dd-wrt.com for more info)

-certain netgears

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

34 of 91 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 7:19:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

David wrote:

-Monowall

-certain netgears

I do have a Dlink (I think it is a  601) with QOS.  I was using that with my AT&T dsl prior to getting U-Verse and being supplied with the RG.  I never quite figured out how to get the QOS to work properly, at least on my DSL (but my DSL had other issues with the stability of the connection, so it was hard to accuratly asscess the function of many things).  Maybe I'll give the router a try again.

As for the Software Limiter thing I have been using.  After using it for about a week, I'm confident in saying that It has solved the problem.  I don't let the computer use more than 160kb/s at times I want to use the Wii to watch Netflix (it let me put in a rule that runs automatically in the evening, so it automatically reduces the amount of traffic the computer is using at the time I may be using Netflix).  Using this, Netflix on the Wii has worked perfectly; regardless of what I am doing on the computer (I've had picasa, Youtube, and my Backup program all uploading, while my web site backup program was downloading) and it still works just fine on the Wii. 

I'm quite happy with this, as my max for outgoing anyway is up around 180kb/s; so I am only having to limit it connection speed by about 10% in order to get the Wii w/ Netflix to work properly (loads quickly with this setup).  Running at 160 kb/s is still a good upload speed, especially considering I can run at that or higher 24X7 now (I let ir run higher during the day when I am on my computer and it browsing / e-mail still works pretty well). I'd have to say the Netlimiter or similar software would be a good solution for anyone else that is in a similar situation as I am.  I suspect the proper router setup would work equally as well for me, I just have not had any time to look at that router again or try getting it hooked up to the RG.

Thanks

Jamie

David wrote:

-Monowall

-certain netgears

I do have a Dlink (I think it is a  601) with QOS.  I was using that with my AT&T dsl prior to getting U-Verse and being supplied with the RG.  I never quite figured out how to get the QOS to work properly, at least on my DSL (but my DSL had other issues with the stability of the connection, so it was hard to accuratly asscess the function of many things).  Maybe I'll give the router a try again.

As for the Software Limiter thing I have been using.  After using it for about a week, I'm confident in saying that It has solved the problem.  I don't let the computer use more than 160kb/s at times I want to use the Wii to watch Netflix (it let me put in a rule that runs automatically in the evening, so it automatically reduces the amount of traffic the computer is using at the time I may be using Netflix).  Using this, Netflix on the Wii has worked perfectly; regardless of what I am doing on the computer (I've had picasa, Youtube, and my Backup program all uploading, while my web site backup program was downloading) and it still works just fine on the Wii. 

I'm quite happy with this, as my max for outgoing anyway is up around 180kb/s; so I am only having to limit it connection speed by about 10% in order to get the Wii w/ Netflix to work properly (loads quickly with this setup).  Running at 160 kb/s is still a good upload speed, especially considering I can run at that or higher 24X7 now (I let ir run higher during the day when I am on my computer and it browsing / e-mail still works pretty well). I'd have to say the Netlimiter or similar software would be a good solution for anyone else that is in a similar situation as I am.  I suspect the proper router setup would work equally as well for me, I just have not had any time to look at that router again or try getting it hooked up to the RG.

Thanks

Jamie

35 of 91 (708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 12:53:50 PM
(0)
Employee
Cool. I'm glad you were able to get things squared away.
Thanks for the software recommendation too.
Cool. I'm glad you were able to get things squared away.
Thanks for the software recommendation too.
Sent from my phone.

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

36 of 91 (697 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 9:07:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Jamie,

I am curious to know if how much impact you are seeing on download speed after you started an upload. I am having a serious degradation of download speed ( from 11.5Mbps down to less tha1 MBbps) when I start an upload. This is when I have my computer directly attached to the 2Wire RG. I have WiFi on the router disabled.

Baskaran

Jamie,

I am curious to know if how much impact you are seeing on download speed after you started an upload. I am having a serious degradation of download speed ( from 11.5Mbps down to less tha1 MBbps) when I start an upload. This is when I have my computer directly attached to the 2Wire RG. I have WiFi on the router disabled.

Baskaran

37 of 91 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 9:12:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a question to ScottMac. 

What is the latest version of software for 2Wire 3600HGV RG?

Here is what mine says:

Manufacturer2Wire, Inc.
Model3600HGV
Serial Numberdeleted
Hardware Version2700-100727-008
Software Version6.3.7.42-plus.tm
Key Codedeleted
First Use Datedeleted
Current Date & TimeSaturday, February 4, 2012
 9:09:32 PM

Time Since Last Boot0 day 3:31:07
DSL Modem3.73 SW:9_158_16_100526
System Passworddeleted

I have a question to ScottMac. 

What is the latest version of software for 2Wire 3600HGV RG?

Here is what mine says:

Manufacturer2Wire, Inc.
Model3600HGV
Serial Numberdeleted
Hardware Version2700-100727-008
Software Version6.3.7.42-plus.tm
Key Codedeleted
First Use Datedeleted
Current Date & TimeSaturday, February 4, 2012
 9:09:32 PM

Time Since Last Boot0 day 3:31:07
DSL Modem3.73 SW:9_158_16_100526
System Passworddeleted

38 of 91 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 9:28:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jamiedolan on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:32:52 PM

It depends a lot on what I am uploading.  If I am uploading a lot of small files via ftp for example, it pretty much wipes out my connection.  Cuts off the call I am on if I am talking on Skype and makes the Internet pretty unuseable until the upload is done.

It is less severe with other types of uploads, I don't know the exact speed test numbers off hand, but the results you got don't surprise me.

Multiple small files, such as transfering web site via ftp seems to be the hardest on it.  Larger uploads are not quite as bad, but can still cause serious problems, especially if I accidentually allow two uploads to run at once (for example forget to pause the backup service while I am uploading something else).

I've been very very happy to have the speed of this U-Verse connection, but very very disapointed in the limitations that have been imposted with their router.  I have to constantly watch what I am uploading, especially if I am using skype or another VOIP application, such as web conferancing.  

The connection has been stable for the most part.  I have been able to finish a primary online backup which was about 2.8TB in size, it took me about 6 full months to finish.  Now I can pretty much keep up with my backups, once in a while if I am doing video edits then my connection is rather tied up for a couple days. 

I almost thing I am going to have to get a second internet connection or something and setup another computer directly on that connection that can upload.

My big problems I have on a ongoing basis are the uploads as explained above and in the evenings I have a terriable time playing Netflix, I get constant pauses, where it often takes 5 of more minutes to load more of the show I am watching.  If I watch netflix in the day, I almost never have that issue.  I sometimes have the same type of issue with YouTube.

It might be worth opening a trouble ticket just to explore and make sure there isn't anything wrong with your line, just so you know that they only problem your facing is a limitation with the modem.

Jamie

It depends a lot on what I am uploading.  If I am uploading a lot of small files via ftp for example, it pretty much wipes out my connection.  Cuts off the call I am on if I am talking on Skype and makes the Internet pretty unuseable until the upload is done.

It is less severe with other types of uploads, I don't know the exact speed test numbers off hand, but the results you got don't surprise me.

Multiple small files, such as transfering web site via ftp seems to be the hardest on it.  Larger uploads are not quite as bad, but can still cause serious problems, especially if I accidentually allow two uploads to run at once (for example forget to pause the backup service while I am uploading something else).

I've been very very happy to have the speed of this U-Verse connection, but very very disapointed in the limitations that have been imposted with their router.  I have to constantly watch what I am uploading, especially if I am using skype or another VOIP application, such as web conferancing.  

The connection has been stable for the most part.  I have been able to finish a primary online backup which was about 2.8TB in size, it took me about 6 full months to finish.  Now I can pretty much keep up with my backups, once in a while if I am doing video edits then my connection is rather tied up for a couple days. 

I almost thing I am going to have to get a second internet connection or something and setup another computer directly on that connection that can upload.

My big problems I have on a ongoing basis are the uploads as explained above and in the evenings I have a terriable time playing Netflix, I get constant pauses, where it often takes 5 of more minutes to load more of the show I am watching.  If I watch netflix in the day, I almost never have that issue.  I sometimes have the same type of issue with YouTube.

It might be worth opening a trouble ticket just to explore and make sure there isn't anything wrong with your line, just so you know that they only problem your facing is a limitation with the modem.

Jamie

[ Edited ]
39 of 91 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 10:59:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Jamie,

Thanks for the detailed response. Upload operation killing the download is making UVerse unusable for me. I have started telecommuting from home and I often have to do both.

Contrary to what ScottMac has suggested in one of his posts, this problem is not caused by ethernet cables. I used the ethernet cable that came with the 2wire router to connect my laptop directly to it when I did the tests.

I cannot believe that AT&T would use this router for UVerse internet with this defect. This product was unusable for me as a WiFi router since it only supports 802.11b/g and not 802.11n. It also does not support NAT port-mapping protocol that I need in order to use Back-to-my-Mac feature of Mac OS X.  Now, it is virtually useless when I upload :-)

I will call AT&T tomorrow to see if they have any solution for me. I really hope that they do.

Baskaran

Jamie,

Thanks for the detailed response. Upload operation killing the download is making UVerse unusable for me. I have started telecommuting from home and I often have to do both.

Contrary to what ScottMac has suggested in one of his posts, this problem is not caused by ethernet cables. I used the ethernet cable that came with the 2wire router to connect my laptop directly to it when I did the tests.

I cannot believe that AT&T would use this router for UVerse internet with this defect. This product was unusable for me as a WiFi router since it only supports 802.11b/g and not 802.11n. It also does not support NAT port-mapping protocol that I need in order to use Back-to-my-Mac feature of Mac OS X.  Now, it is virtually useless when I upload :-)

I will call AT&T tomorrow to see if they have any solution for me. I really hope that they do.

Baskaran

40 of 91 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 11:08:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

Will you please update this and let me know what your able to find out?

Based on everything I have learned, I really believe the router is the limiting factor for many of us.  I think the actual service it's self is pretty good.  If I could use my own router, I think that the majority of these problems were are discussing here would go away.

Thanks

Jamie

Will you please update this and let me know what your able to find out?

Based on everything I have learned, I really believe the router is the limiting factor for many of us.  I think the actual service it's self is pretty good.  If I could use my own router, I think that the majority of these problems were are discussing here would go away.

Thanks

Jamie

41 of 91 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 12:24:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If uploading is killing the download (normal on an asynchronous connection, 1.5/1 to 24/3), maxing out the upload will kill the download.  This would be true on any connection of this type, you would need a synchronous connection (5/5 or 20/20). Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

If uploading is killing the download (normal on an asynchronous connection, 1.5/1 to 24/3), maxing out the upload will kill the download.  This would be true on any connection of this type, you would need a synchronous connection (5/5 or 20/20). Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

42 of 91 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 7:49:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have had AT&T DSL Elite for years before switching to UVerse. I have never had this problem. I just asked my brother, who has DSL with AT&T to test this and he does not have this problem. Moreover, speedtest show .3Mbps upload speed when I am uploading, so, upload bandwidth is not maxed out. Baskaran
I have had AT&T DSL Elite for years before switching to UVerse. I have never had this problem. I just asked my brother, who has DSL with AT&T to test this and he does not have this problem. Moreover, speedtest show .3Mbps upload speed when I am uploading, so, upload bandwidth is not maxed out. Baskaran

43 of 91 (589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 9:15:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've not heard of this problem with DSL (unless there is a line problem), at least not to this extent, - Likely, based on everything I understand that is because you can use a different router with the DSL vs being force to use the router with limited capacity on U-Verse.  

Jamie

I've not heard of this problem with DSL (unless there is a line problem), at least not to this extent, - Likely, based on everything I understand that is because you can use a different router with the DSL vs being force to use the router with limited capacity on U-Verse.  

Jamie

44 of 91 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 10:55:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can use another router behind the RG on Uverse, put it in the DMZ zone and probably still be restricted from using the upload and download at the same time very effectively.

DSL users must use the ATT supplied modem to authorize use on ATT, it can not be changed to another non-ATT modem. Smiley Wink

Chris

You can use another router behind the RG on Uverse, put it in the DMZ zone and probably still be restricted from using the upload and download at the same time very effectively.

DSL users must use the ATT supplied modem to authorize use on ATT, it can not be changed to another non-ATT modem. Smiley Wink

Chris

45 of 91 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 10:59:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

baskaran wrote:

Might be that interleaving (for TV error correction) on Uverse might be causing part of the problem.

Many users using torrents have had to throttle the torrents uploads way back to keep downloading speed available. Smiley Wink

Chris

baskaran wrote:

Might be that interleaving (for TV error correction) on Uverse might be causing part of the problem.

Many users using torrents have had to throttle the torrents uploads way back to keep downloading speed available. Smiley Wink

Chris

46 of 91 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:03:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

jamiedolan wrote:

Jamie

That is very true. I have nothing but pain in using this router. I had to use another router behind the 2Wire (set up with DMZPlus Zone) for the following reasons:

1. 2Wire lacks configurable DNS addresses so that I can use OpenDNS servers for parental control. I understand AT&T needing certain DNS servers in order to load-balance servers for their video and voip services. But, I have a subscribed to just internet and I should not be saddled with this limitation.

2. 2Wire uses the the old WiFi standard (802.11B/G). 802.11N was introduced in 2009 and I got my 2Wire RG in Nov 2011. Two years in this technology is an eternity.

3. 2Wire has 100BT ethernet. My network is 1000BT.

4. It does not support NAT-PMP.

5. Now, it I discover that it is unusable when I have an upload going. Does not provide QoS, it looks like.

In summary the 2Wire RG is a very bad product (imagine a bunch of expletives, if you can)  and AT&T should be ashamed to sell it. Now, can I make this service usable by having good router that supports QoS? If so, can someone recommend some routers?

Thanks,

baskaran

jamiedolan wrote:

Jamie

That is very true. I have nothing but pain in using this router. I had to use another router behind the 2Wire (set up with DMZPlus Zone) for the following reasons:

1. 2Wire lacks configurable DNS addresses so that I can use OpenDNS servers for parental control. I understand AT&T needing certain DNS servers in order to load-balance servers for their video and voip services. But, I have a subscribed to just internet and I should not be saddled with this limitation.

2. 2Wire uses the the old WiFi standard (802.11B/G). 802.11N was introduced in 2009 and I got my 2Wire RG in Nov 2011. Two years in this technology is an eternity.

3. 2Wire has 100BT ethernet. My network is 1000BT.

4. It does not support NAT-PMP.

5. Now, it I discover that it is unusable when I have an upload going. Does not provide QoS, it looks like.

In summary the 2Wire RG is a very bad product (imagine a bunch of expletives, if you can)  and AT&T should be ashamed to sell it. Now, can I make this service usable by having good router that supports QoS? If so, can someone recommend some routers?

Thanks,

baskaran

47 of 91 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:17:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jamiedolan on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:21:45 AM

I've tried putting a good router behind it that support QOS.  And it does help some, unless the main router gets overloaded, again for example with something like a ftp upload of a bunch of small files, which is something I do frequently when administering web sites.  

So a second router will help, but I've found that it is still limited in many cases.  Another example, I've found that my main backup service can run just fine while I am on Skype if I am using an external router.  However, even with the external router if a sync starts to Google docs, that will be enough to kill the quality of my call.

So even with the second router, I have to constantly play games with pause this service, throttle that, etc.  I've found even when I throttle FTP a lot, it tends to kill my VOIP connections, I think it is just too much for the att router.

I was charged something like $250 for this router from ATT.  As I said before I'm very unhappy with the router, but otherwise generally pleased with the service (in terms of line speed.  i.e. I am pleased with it when I am not trying to multi-task - uploading and using VOIP at the same time).  If they would only give us an option to upgrade to a better quality router.

VOIP is becoming so critical to so many people that it is very sad that they did not build some basic QOS into this router that ensured that VOIP traffic got the highest priority and other traffic was slowed as necessary.

I could make a guess that they have done this on purpose to try and sell their phone service, but that would only be a guess.  However, their phone service is not a solution for me.  I extensivly use features that a phone some not offer such as screen sharing, presenting, group calls, chat, etc.  Thus I need my VOIP connections to work well.

I also use only Netflix now to watch TV and that has it's problems, especially in the evenings, though I am not sure the exact cause of those problems. 

Jamie

I've tried putting a good router behind it that support QOS.  And it does help some, unless the main router gets overloaded, again for example with something like a ftp upload of a bunch of small files, which is something I do frequently when administering web sites.  

So a second router will help, but I've found that it is still limited in many cases.  Another example, I've found that my main backup service can run just fine while I am on Skype if I am using an external router.  However, even with the external router if a sync starts to Google docs, that will be enough to kill the quality of my call.

So even with the second router, I have to constantly play games with pause this service, throttle that, etc.  I've found even when I throttle FTP a lot, it tends to kill my VOIP connections, I think it is just too much for the att router.

I was charged something like $250 for this router from ATT.  As I said before I'm very unhappy with the router, but otherwise generally pleased with the service (in terms of line speed.  i.e. I am pleased with it when I am not trying to multi-task - uploading and using VOIP at the same time).  If they would only give us an option to upgrade to a better quality router.

VOIP is becoming so critical to so many people that it is very sad that they did not build some basic QOS into this router that ensured that VOIP traffic got the highest priority and other traffic was slowed as necessary.

I could make a guess that they have done this on purpose to try and sell their phone service, but that would only be a guess.  However, their phone service is not a solution for me.  I extensivly use features that a phone some not offer such as screen sharing, presenting, group calls, chat, etc.  Thus I need my VOIP connections to work well.

I also use only Netflix now to watch TV and that has it's problems, especially in the evenings, though I am not sure the exact cause of those problems. 

Jamie

[ Edited ]
48 of 91 (564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:20:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

mibrnsurg wrote:

baskaran wrote:

Chris

I do not use torrents. I am talking about plain old copying of files between computers.

mibrnsurg wrote:

baskaran wrote:

Chris

I do not use torrents. I am talking about plain old copying of files between computers.

49 of 91 (563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:26:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

I don't use any of that torrent stuff either.

There are a ton of legit applications that need more power / capacity than this ATT router offers.  

It is very very frustrating that I keep seeing people Implying that your doing something illegal if you have problems with the ATT U-Verse service.

It's just like the bandwidth cap where ATT all but said if you only doing things that are legal you won't go over.  That is really nonsence.  I've averaged 500-600GB a month of transfer on U-Verse and it is all stuff that is 100% legal.

I don't use any of that torrent stuff either.

There are a ton of legit applications that need more power / capacity than this ATT router offers.  

It is very very frustrating that I keep seeing people Implying that your doing something illegal if you have problems with the ATT U-Verse service.

It's just like the bandwidth cap where ATT all but said if you only doing things that are legal you won't go over.  That is really nonsence.  I've averaged 500-600GB a month of transfer on U-Verse and it is all stuff that is 100% legal.

50 of 91 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:35:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No one implied you were doing something illegal, just an example how upload disrupts download. 

Just as I've posted before, a synchronous service would provide upload and download speeds you desire (generally would be business plans). Smiley Wink

Chris

No one implied you were doing something illegal, just an example how upload disrupts download. 

Just as I've posted before, a synchronous service would provide upload and download speeds you desire (generally would be business plans). Smiley Wink

Chris

51 of 91 (609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:43:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

The biggest time I am running into problems is when I am uploading and trying to us VOIP.  So I am not trying to use a lot of download capacity by any means at these times I am having problems.  A VOIP connection to a person or two should be way under 1Mbps and I'm on the 1.5Mbps up and 18Mbps down.

Would a sync connection still be able to solve this problem?  Is that something that is being offered in residential areas?

It was my understanding that this is due to tha limitations of the router; i.e. throwing too much information at it too quickly.

Thanks

Jamie

The biggest time I am running into problems is when I am uploading and trying to us VOIP.  So I am not trying to use a lot of download capacity by any means at these times I am having problems.  A VOIP connection to a person or two should be way under 1Mbps and I'm on the 1.5Mbps up and 18Mbps down.

Would a sync connection still be able to solve this problem?  Is that something that is being offered in residential areas?

It was my understanding that this is due to tha limitations of the router; i.e. throwing too much information at it too quickly.

Thanks

Jamie

52 of 91 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:50:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

mibrnsurg wrote:

I didn't mean that I felt that way just due to this conversation.  I guess I feel that way especially due to all the things that were said about the bandwidth cap by AT&T and the way that it was structured.  It left me feeling like I must be doing something wrong or illegal if I am going over that cap, even though I know I am not.  The comments about the torrens just gave me that same feeling again of "The user must be doing something illegal if they are having problems".

It's not you, it's just that the whole AT&T marketing / polices have left me rather upset, which I can deal with.  But having the service not work properly for VOIP is just so frustrating.  

I had just contacted your U-Verse dept about a week ago to see if the higher speed was available here, but it isn't.  I am not convinved that would even help with my problem, but I would try it if I could just to see if it did help.

Jamie

mibrnsurg wrote:

I didn't mean that I felt that way just due to this conversation.  I guess I feel that way especially due to all the things that were said about the bandwidth cap by AT&T and the way that it was structured.  It left me feeling like I must be doing something wrong or illegal if I am going over that cap, even though I know I am not.  The comments about the torrens just gave me that same feeling again of "The user must be doing something illegal if they are having problems".

It's not you, it's just that the whole AT&T marketing / polices have left me rather upset, which I can deal with.  But having the service not work properly for VOIP is just so frustrating.  

I had just contacted your U-Verse dept about a week ago to see if the higher speed was available here, but it isn't.  I am not convinved that would even help with my problem, but I would try it if I could just to see if it did help.

Jamie

53 of 91 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 11:53:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:55:21 AM

Unluckily, outside VOIPs have problems on Uverse; some work poorly and others not at all.  ATT only guarantees/services Uvoice on Uverse, so probably only help from ATT will be paid ConnecTech.

Probably would work fine on other DSL/cable (wouldn't need synchronous connection) situations, but Uverse is very picky about what works and what doesn't unluckily. Smiley Wink

Chris

Unluckily, outside VOIPs have problems on Uverse; some work poorly and others not at all.  ATT only guarantees/services Uvoice on Uverse, so probably only help from ATT will be paid ConnecTech.

Probably would work fine on other DSL/cable (wouldn't need synchronous connection) situations, but Uverse is very picky about what works and what doesn't unluckily. Smiley Wink

Chris

[ Edited ]
54 of 91 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 12:00:12 PM
(0)
Scholar
What is ConnectTech?  I would not mind paying for something, but many of my needs are application specfic, e.g. I have many people I connect with who are on Skype.  Does the ConnectTech work with services like Skype or is ConnectTech it's own service?

I had the AT&T DSL for about 9 years, but devloped severe problems with it that they were unable to fix, it made the connection virtually un-useable much of the time.  I went back and forth with repair for a month with no resloution on my DSL issues.  I had to have internet access, so I upgraded to U-Verse after agents promised me that would solve all my problems.

Why is it that Uverse is picky about what works and what doesn't?  Is that the router or is it due to how AT&T filters / shapes traffic?

Jamie

What is ConnectTech?  I would not mind paying for something, but many of my needs are application specfic, e.g. I have many people I connect with who are on Skype.  Does the ConnectTech work with services like Skype or is ConnectTech it's own service?

I had the AT&T DSL for about 9 years, but devloped severe problems with it that they were unable to fix, it made the connection virtually un-useable much of the time.  I went back and forth with repair for a month with no resloution on my DSL issues.  I had to have internet access, so I upgraded to U-Verse after agents promised me that would solve all my problems.

Why is it that Uverse is picky about what works and what doesn't?  Is that the router or is it due to how AT&T filters / shapes traffic?

Jamie

55 of 91 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 12:07:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

ConnecTech is at the top of each page, go to it and post a msg in the correct forum.

We don't know why Uverse is so finicky about many things, just that it is.  ATT doesn't know what is going on, so they can't fix it.

Some fax machines work and others don't, interference can be caused by many things in one location, but not in another location and on and on.

Just one finicky thing after another if you've read/participated the last 3 1/2 years here, you're not suprised at what comes up. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

ConnecTech is at the top of each page, go to it and post a msg in the correct forum.

We don't know why Uverse is so finicky about many things, just that it is.  ATT doesn't know what is going on, so they can't fix it.

Some fax machines work and others don't, interference can be caused by many things in one location, but not in another location and on and on.

Just one finicky thing after another if you've read/participated the last 3 1/2 years here, you're not suprised at what comes up. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

56 of 91 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 12:10:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There might be a problem that is causing this too, if you can, download SomeJoe's Uverse Realtime: http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Then post (using the little tree on the reply page) these screenshots:
IP Profile
Bitloading
Error Table
Coax/HPNA (if there is anything showing up)

Works on Windows, not Mac unluckily Smiley Wink

Chris

There might be a problem that is causing this too, if you can, download SomeJoe's Uverse Realtime: http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Then post (using the little tree on the reply page) these screenshots:
IP Profile
Bitloading
Error Table
Coax/HPNA (if there is anything showing up)

Works on Windows, not Mac unluckily Smiley Wink

Chris

57 of 91 (598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 1:12:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Jamie

No info on this last screen, I have the basic model:

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Jamie

No info on this last screen, I have the basic model:

58 of 91 (591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 1:37:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There is something wrong, bridge tap/interference on the line due to the bitloading screenshot.  On IP/Profile page, Power level 13.0 downstream, 0 upstream, should be about -7.0 at your distance.  Call TS and have them check your line.

Hopefully they'll see problems on your line and schedule a tech visit, if so, have him put in a helper ticket for I&M (linemen) to check for a problem on your line, bridge tap/interference.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

There is something wrong, bridge tap/interference on the line due to the bitloading screenshot.  On IP/Profile page, Power level 13.0 downstream, 0 upstream, should be about -7.0 at your distance.  Call TS and have them check your line.

Hopefully they'll see problems on your line and schedule a tech visit, if so, have him put in a helper ticket for I&M (linemen) to check for a problem on your line, bridge tap/interference.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

59 of 91 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 4:02:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

I ran Uverse Realtime in Windows running in VMWare on my MacPro (this was a valid configuration according to UVR website). Here are the screenshots:

I am not sure how to interpret this information.

Chris, can you help?  Thanks a lot!

Baskaran

I ran Uverse Realtime in Windows running in VMWare on my MacPro (this was a valid configuration according to UVR website). Here are the screenshots:

I am not sure how to interpret this information.

Chris, can you help?  Thanks a lot!

Baskaran

60 of 91 (568 Views)