Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

Scholar

Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

HI;

 

I'm on the 18/1.5Mbps plan.  My speed tests on the line show very close to 18 and virtually are always at 1.5Mbps.

 

I've been uploading photos and videos in the background.  I limited it to using 1300kbps, which should leave me a solid 200kbps free, not a lot, but should be enough for sending some simple requests.

 

If I try and download a test file from a known fast site (one that normally gets 10+Mbps), My network useage will go up to maybe 5-7Mbps at the most, but will hover much lower for most of the download, more like 3-4Mbps.

 

The test file I am downloading is a single 100MB file, so there should not be a lot of information that needs to be sent, it is mainly a request for the file, then I should be downloading it.

 

So why is it that I can't download more quickly while uploading, even when my upload is not maxing out the connection and there should be plenty of upload bandwidth available to send the requests promptly?

 

When I limited my uploads to about 85% of my up stream connection, I thought that would give me enough room for most of my downloading activties to work properly, but this isn't proving to ne the case.

 

Jamie

Message 1 of 91 (3,766 Views)
Expert

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

Scott is suggesting that you have more of a wiring problem with the Ethernet cabling between the RG and your switches, or between the switches and your computers.

 

Re-doing the VDSL run from the NID to the RG might be a good idea also, but the Ethernet cables are what may be giving you the errors.

 

I think there's definitely something wrong on the Ethernet wiring segment there -- tons of duplicate ACKs like that is indicative of a problem.

 

Message 16 of 91 (3,202 Views)
Scholar

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?


SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Scott is suggesting that you have more of a wiring problem with the Ethernet cabling between the RG and your switches, or between the switches and your computers.

 

Re-doing the VDSL run from the NID to the RG might be a good idea also, but the Ethernet cables are what may be giving you the errors.

 

I think there's definitely something wrong on the Ethernet wiring segment there -- tons of duplicate ACKs like that is indicative of a problem.

 


Oh okay, I try not to have to make RJ45 ends of I can help it.  The cable from the Rg to this computer is about 15 feet long and is a factory made cable.

 

I just unpluged that cable and switched my computer over to wireless.  I also rebooted the RG.  I am still seeing an http request, then numberous ACK responses.

 

I am connected via wireless to the RG.  I do not have any other routers hooked up.

 

How can I be having the same problem now with the wireless connection as well?

 

Thanks

 

Jamie

 

Message 17 of 91 (3,192 Views)
Employee

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?


jamiedolan wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

 

The problem with ScotchLoks is that because they are branded as "Cat 5," people used them indescriminately (and in some cases, carelessly / because it's the easiest path); the Cat 5 rating only applies if you follow all the other rules for a Category-rated install, i.e., no more than 1/2" (3/8" for Cat6 and above) exposed and/or untwisted pair (exposed=out of the sheath), maintain the twist up to the termination point, bend radius, kinks, twists, proximity to other conductors / ferrous metals, etc). Also, make sure you use solid conductor UTP/Cat5, 5e ... stranded conductor has much greater attenuation for a comparible span length.

 

Also, please, make sure you follow one of the two acceptable pair-orders (568a, 568b) when you terminate the RJ45 Mod plug. SO many people use a {pair}{pair}{pair}{pair} pattern, which is wrong, really, very wrong because it splits the pin3/pin6 pair into two different colors, which blows the crosstalk figured rate thef'k out the window ... if you cath my drift ...

 

The primary symptom for a split pair (which is usually 3/6, pair #2) is that you can get decent speed (though usually not max) in a half-duplex situation, but very slow throughput in a full-duplex situation, because of the crosstalk (all flavors). Look up the term "Attenuation to Crosstalk Ratio" (ACR) and it should give you a good idea of why it's critical.

 

568a pair order: Green-white, Green, Orange-white, Blue, Blue-white, Orange, Brown-white, Brown.

 

568b is the same, but exchange the green and orange pairs: (Orange-White, Orange, Green-white, Blue, Blue-white, Green, Brown-white, Brown).

 

It take no additional effort to terminate it using the right pair order and colors, please (for the sake of otheres that have to work on it after you're gone) follow the conventions.

 

Always terminate all four pair.  Never use one pair for phone and the other pair(s) for data. Run more cable than you think you need, leave a good service loop (extra length to make it easier to terminate) ...

 

Repost & ask if you have any questions.

 



Couple quick questions.

 

The Cat 5 currently runs next to (same hole / joist cavity as a piece of 12 gage romex for power.  Should I try to move it away from the power, if so, how far is suggested?

 

When you say "Always terminate all four pair" I'm not sure I follow what your saying.  I belive there are just 2 terminals (1 pair) out in the Dmarc and my RJ11 phone jack has 4 terminals for 2 pairs.  Then the RJ11 cable runs from the jack to the RG (green cable).

 

Where do I terminate the rest of the pairs?  Am I connecting these together and using multiple wires on each terminal?

 

Thanks

 

Jamie


 

 Sorry for the confusion; I was referring to Ethernet ... some folks try to only terminate the two pair that Ethernet and Fast Ethernet use (and try to use the remaining pairs for other things).

 

While the usualy rule of thumb is to stay as far away from power as possible (and if you can, then do), today's cable and transceiver combinations are extremly resistant and tolerant of normal common mode noise (like power hum from proximity to AC power cables).  Aside from a potential safety factor (something causing the power cable to apply voltage to the signal cable), I would not be concerned.

 

 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 91 (3,186 Views)
Employee

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?


jamiedolan wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Scott is suggesting that you have more of a wiring problem with the Ethernet cabling between the RG and your switches, or between the switches and your computers.

 

Re-doing the VDSL run from the NID to the RG might be a good idea also, but the Ethernet cables are what may be giving you the errors.

 

I think there's definitely something wrong on the Ethernet wiring segment there -- tons of duplicate ACKs like that is indicative of a problem.

 


Oh okay, I try not to have to make RJ45 ends of I can help it.  The cable from the Rg to this computer is about 15 feet long and is a factory made cable.

 

I just unpluged that cable and switched my computer over to wireless.  I also rebooted the RG.  I am still seeing an http request, then numberous ACK responses.

 

I am connected via wireless to the RG.  I do not have any other routers hooked up.

 

How can I be having the same problem now with the wireless connection as well?

 

Thanks

 

Jamie

 


 

 Do you see that effect on several different sites? Can you take a look at, Google, Yahoo, MSN and similar and see if you see the same issues? It's possible that the "deaf" system is on the other end of the link. It's also possible that an intermediate proxy or other Internet "management" device in the path is causing this.

 

Again, it's a little tougher trying to do a remote control diagnosis, but I'd be interested to know if you're OK with doing the collection.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 91 (3,185 Views)
Scholar

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?


ScottMac wrote:

jamiedolan wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Scott is suggesting that you have more of a wiring problem with the Ethernet cabling between the RG and your switches, or between the switches and your computers.

 

Re-doing the VDSL run from the NID to the RG might be a good idea also, but the Ethernet cables are what may be giving you the errors.

 

I think there's definitely something wrong on the Ethernet wiring segment there -- tons of duplicate ACKs like that is indicative of a problem.

 


Oh okay, I try not to have to make RJ45 ends of I can help it.  The cable from the Rg to this computer is about 15 feet long and is a factory made cable.

 

I just unpluged that cable and switched my computer over to wireless.  I also rebooted the RG.  I am still seeing an http request, then numberous ACK responses.

 

I am connected via wireless to the RG.  I do not have any other routers hooked up.

 

How can I be having the same problem now with the wireless connection as well?

 

Thanks

 

Jamie

 


 

 Do you see that effect on several different sites? Can you take a look at, Google, Yahoo, MSN and similar and see if you see the same issues? It's possible that the "deaf" system is on the other end of the link. It's also possible that an intermediate proxy or other Internet "management" device in the path is causing this.

 

Again, it's a little tougher trying to do a remote control diagnosis, but I'd be interested to know if you're OK with doing the collection.


After examining the Wireshark output some more, and testing other sites as you suggested; it appears that the multiple ACK listed; is something that is happening with addresses at google, especially with uploads running to Picasa servers.  (saw virtually the same thing on both wired and wireless)

 

Since I am only seeing this problem with google addresses; do you think it really indicates that this is a problem for me or just an issue at google?

 

Could this be part of the reason I have so much trouble with downloads while I am uploading or do you think that all still comes down to just being a limitation of the RG.

 

Thanks

Jamie

Message 20 of 91 (3,174 Views)
Scholar

Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

While uploading to YouTube on my computer, I'm trying to watch NetFlix on Wii. It took almost 15 minutes to load and paused to buffer more after about 3 minutes. 2 weeks ago when I got u-verse this was one of the first things I tested if i could watch Netflix while uploading to YouTube and will a bit slow it ran fine and barely needed to rebuffer. Netflix works fine when I'm not uploadig. Thanks Jamie
Message 21 of 91 (3,346 Views)
Employee

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading


jamiedolan wrote:
While uploading to YouTube on my computer, I'm trying to watch NetFlix on Wii. It took almost 15 minutes to load and paused to buffer more after about 3 minutes. 2 weeks ago when I got u-verse this was one of the first things I tested if i could watch Netflix while uploading to YouTube and will a bit slow it ran fine and barely needed to rebuffer. Netflix works fine when I'm not uploadig. Thanks Jamie

Was that wireless or wired?

 

If wireless, download something like Netstumbler or inSSIDer (both are free, I like inSSIDer) and check the spectrum to see which channel (of 1, 6, and 11) that has the least traffic and assign that to the RG. 2.4G WiFi (802.11b, g, n) tends to be pretty crowded and intermittent streaming issues don't surprise me at all. 

 

2.4G channels are numbered in 5MHz increments, but actually take (a bit less than) 25Mhz. Using channels 1 and 11 reduces the potential infringement area by half. Many APAs come out of the box set to channel six, so that tends to be the most congested. and channels between 1,6, and 11) are likely to be interfered with from both sides from up to two channels away.

 

If it was wired, was the system you were using directly connected to the RG? Or maybe plugged into the back of the back of a coax-connected STB (or DVR)?  or connected to a switch that also had a STB attached to it?

 

If the system wasn't plugged directly into the RG, please try that and let us know if the behavior changes.

 

Good work with the Wireshark, BTW, it saved a lot of ghost chasing. Thanks!

 

 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 91 (3,334 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

 


ScottMac wrote:

jamiedolan wrote:
While uploading to YouTube on my computer, I'm trying to watch NetFlix on Wii. It took almost 15 minutes to load and paused to buffer more after about 3 minutes. 2 weeks ago when I got u-verse this was one of the first things I tested if i could watch Netflix while uploading to YouTube and will a bit slow it ran fine and barely needed to rebuffer. Netflix works fine when I'm not uploadig. Thanks Jamie

Was that wireless or wired?

 

If wireless, download something like Netstumbler or inSSIDer (both are free, I like inSSIDer) and check the spectrum to see which channel (of 1, 6, and 11) that has the least traffic and assign that to the RG. 2.4G WiFi (802.11b, g, n) tends to be pretty crowded and intermittent streaming issues don't surprise me at all. 

 

2.4G channels are numbered in 5MHz increments, but actually take (a bit less than) 25Mhz. Using channels 1 and 11 reduces the potential infringement area by half. Many APAs come out of the box set to channel six, so that tends to be the most congested. and channels between 1,6, and 11) are likely to be interfered with from both sides from up to two channels away.

 

If it was wired, was the system you were using directly connected to the RG? Or maybe plugged into the back of the back of a coax-connected STB (or DVR)?  or connected to a switch that also had a STB attached to it?

 

If the system wasn't plugged directly into the RG, please try that and let us know if the behavior changes.

 

Good work with the Wireshark, BTW, it saved a lot of ghost chasing. Thanks!

 

 


The Wii is connected via it's built in wireless card.  I currently have the RG set to auto and it is currently using channel 10.  In connection with the issue being discussed here, I rebooted the RG earlier yesterday, I suspect it choose a different channel at reboot.

 

I took scans at various parts around my house.  The last image is taken right next to the RG(10 feet away).  The other images in the bottom 2 rows are from the room the Wii is in.  I have he idea where all these networks are coming from, were not exactly in a densly packed area, our lot is almost 1/2 acre, and I know the house behind us and across from us don't have access at all.

 

PawDogs is me.  Based upon this, of 1,6 and 11; it looks like 6 is clearly the best choice, as I am only seeing one other router on channel 6.  I am going to change the RG to channel 6 and will start a YouTube Upload shortly and go try to stream something while I am uploading and see what happens. 

 

When I had my AT&T DSL, I generally was unable to use Netflix while I was uploading, but I had multiple issue with my DSL and packet loss, so I was hoping this was going to be better once I was on Netflix.  Thus, it was one of the first things I tested once U-verse was installed.  It did take a minute or two to load, but was very useable.  After much waiting last night, trying to watch a show, after about a hour, I had watched about 15 minutes of the show. 

 

Hopefully the channel change will help.  I will post an update once I have tested.

 

Thank You

 

Jamie

 

Message 23 of 91 (3,315 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

[ Edited ]

With the RG running on channel 6.  I started a YouTube upload on my computer.  Nothing else is uploading or downloading, even my mail is closed.

 

I went to the Wii and started playing a movie.  It took about 4 minutes to start playing, I didn't watch to see if it paused during playback and rebuffered again, but with an initial load time of around 4 minutes, I am sure it would have after around 5 to 8 minutes of playback.

 

When I am not uploading, the Wii will start moives quickly, loading a movie in around 30 seconds, 60 at the very most.  If nothing is uploading, then the Wii normally does not pause at all while playing back a movie.

 

I attempted to play Netflix on my Sony Duo core Windows 7 w/ 4GB ram Laptop; while uploading to Youtube on my desktop computer.  It took the video close to 4 minutes to load on the laptop.

 

While a video was still uploading to YouTube.  On my laptop, I opened a new browser and started downloading a 100MB test file.  It started about 200 kB/s and dropped.  Then my YouTube upload finished, and within a few seconds, the download test file shot up to over 1200 kB/s and the video started playing. 

 

This is the network graph while this was happening.  On the left where it very low for the first inch or so of the graph is where the movie was trying to load while I was uploading on the other computer.  Then when you see the small jump in the graph; that is where I started downloading the test file.  Then you can see when the YouTube upload finished, the graph shot right up to over 25%.

 

 

The problem isn't just that Netflix is slow to start while I am uploading; it is a matter of it being practically non-functional because of the re-buffering during playback.

 

It's not as big of a problem if I am runing my online backup program because with that; I am able to adjust the upload speed, where as with YouTube, I have no options.  (I have had the backup program disabled during the tests & at night when I have been trying to watch Netflix).  The time it takes netflix to load is slowed while my backup program is running, but at least it is functional.

 

Quoting an earlier message in this thread:

 

"This is the result of poor buffering/routing that is inherent to the 2Wire router.  There's not much that can be done."

 

So is this problem with not being able to use Netflix while I am uploading to YouTube a result of the "poor buffering / routing that is inherent to the 2Wire router"?  If this truely is the issue; I'd think many many people would be complaining becuase to not be able to upload files while you watch video or watch video while files are uploading is a pretty big limitation.

 

I have movies that I upload on close to a daily basis; with HD movies, they are often large enough to take several hours or more.  I often avoid uploading them during the day because it slows down everything I am working on online.  Then when I run them at night, I run into the Netflix problem.  I basically have to choose either or, uploading or downloading, and they work great by themselves, but it's like there is no duplex to the connection.

 

I don't mean to sound critical, but surely this service / RG can't be so poorly designed that you can't let your computer upload a movie and stream Netflix at the same time? 

 

Thank you;

 

Jamie

Message 24 of 91 (3,303 Views)
Employee

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading


jamiedolan wrote:

With the RG running on channel 6.  I started a YouTube upload on my computer.  Nothing else is uploading or downloading, even my mail is closed.

 

I went to the Wii and started playing a movie.  It took about 4 minutes to start playing, I didn't watch to see if it paused during playback and rebuffered again, but with an initial load time of around 4 minutes, I am sure it would have after around 5 to 8 minutes of playback.

 

When I am not uploading, the Wii will start moives quickly, loading a movie in around 30 seconds, 60 at the very most.  If nothing is uploading, then the Wii normally does not pause at all while playing back a movie.

 

I attempted to play Netflix on my Sony Duo core Windows 7 w/ 4GB ram Laptop; while uploading to Youtube on my desktop computer.  It took the video close to 4 minutes to load on the laptop.

 

While a video was still uploading to YouTube.  On my laptop, I opened a new browser and started downloading a 100MB test file.  It started about 200 kB/s and dropped.  Then my YouTube upload finished, and within a few seconds, the download test file shot up to over 1200 kB/s and the video started playing. 

 

This is the network graph while this was happening.  On the left where it very low for the first inch or so of the graph is where the movie was trying to load while I was uploading on the other computer.  Then when you see the small jump in the graph; that is where I started downloading the test file.  Then you can see when the YouTube upload finished, the graph shot right up to over 25%.

 

 

The problem isn't just that Netflix is slow to start while I am uploading; it is a matter of it being practically non-functional because of the re-buffering during playback.

 

It's not as big of a problem if I am runing my online backup program because with that; I am able to adjust the upload speed, where as with YouTube, I have no options.  (I have had the backup program disabled during the tests & at night when I have been trying to watch Netflix).  The time it takes netflix to load is slowed while my backup program is running, but at least it is functional.

 

Quoting an earlier message in this thread:

 

"This is the result of poor buffering/routing that is inherent to the 2Wire router.  There's not much that can be done."

 

So is this problem with not being able to use Netflix while I am uploading to YouTube a result of the "poor buffering / routing that is inherent to the 2Wire router"?  If this truely is the issue; I'd think many many people would be complaining becuase to not be able to upload files while you watch video or watch video while files are uploading is a pretty big limitation.

 

I have movies that I upload on close to a daily basis; with HD movies, they are often large enough to take several hours or more.  I often avoid uploading them during the day because it slows down everything I am working on online.  Then when I run them at night, I run into the Netflix problem.  I basically have to choose either or, uploading or downloading, and they work great by themselves, but it's like there is no duplex to the connection.

 

I don't mean to sound critical, but surely this service / RG can't be so poorly designed that you can't let your computer upload a movie and stream Netflix at the same time? 

 

Thank you;

 

Jamie


 

Wireless spectrum is shared and "half duplex" by nature; at any given time the access point is either sending or receiving, but not both concurrently. With two systems pumping data (one uploading, one downloading) I can see where there could be some intermittent interruptions.

 

On an 802.11g system, operating perfectly, with perfect signal strength and no interferers, you can expect a total of ~ 22Mbps (split between all systems connecting to it) on a 54Mbps connection. If there is an 802.11b system that the access point can "see" (even if it's not associated), that speed drops about 20%, because the AP has to listen and coordinate between two different protocol systems. When "noise" or adjacent system interference reaches a threshold level, the throughput drops again, because the AP operates in a more tightly controlled "permission to speak" mode, and may also automatically drop the size of the transmitted data chunks (smaller chunks= less likely to take fatal interference, but also increases protocol overhead as a percentage of the transmission, i.e., more overhead, less data).

 

This is not an RG shortcoming; this is the nature of the beast for 802.11b and g. I agree that the RG is "less than stellar" as SOHO routers go, but its capable and competent within its designed scope of operation, especially since the last couple code updates.

 

If possible, hardwire either or both systems to the RG and see if your issues persist. I suspect you're just running out of wireless bandwidth.

 

 

 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 25 of 91 (3,284 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading


ScottMac wrote:

Wireless spectrum is shared and "half duplex" by nature; at any given time the access point is either sending or receiving, but not both concurrently. With two systems pumping data (one uploading, one downloading) I can see where there could be some intermittent interruptions.

 

On an 802.11g system, operating perfectly, with perfect signal strength and no interferers, you can expect a total of ~ 22Mbps (split between all systems connecting to it) on a 54Mbps connection. If there is an 802.11b system that the access point can "see" (even if it's not associated), that speed drops about 20%, because the AP has to listen and coordinate between two different protocol systems. When "noise" or adjacent system interference reaches a threshold level, the throughput drops again, because the AP operates in a more tightly controlled "permission to speak" mode, and may also automatically drop the size of the transmitted data chunks (smaller chunks= less likely to take fatal interference, but also increases protocol overhead as a percentage of the transmission, i.e., more overhead, less data).

 

This is not an RG shortcoming; this is the nature of the beast for 802.11b and g. I agree that the RG is "less than stellar" as SOHO routers go, but its capable and competent within its designed scope of operation, especially since the last couple code updates.

 

If possible, hardwire either or both systems to the RG and see if your issues persist. I suspect you're just running out of wireless bandwidth.



Hello;

 

I switched my computer over to a hard wired connection (directly to the RG) last night when I got this message from you.  I actually haven't had any videos to upload in the last day, but have had a lot of picasa uploads going and my back-up program running.

 

It appears to have solved much of the problem.  I suspect getting the wireless signal for the Wii onto a lesser used channel may have helped also. 

 

I should have some YouTube uploads to do tomorrow; that will be the real test, as that is what always has caused the biggest problem. 

 

Thanks so much for helping me figure this out.  I'll post an update after I get to try netflix on Wii while I am uploading from the hardwired computer.

 

Thank You;

 

Jamie

Message 26 of 91 (3,272 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading


jamiedolan wrote:

I switched my computer over to a hard wired connection (directly to the RG) last night when I got this message from you.  I actually haven't had any videos to upload in the last day, but have had a lot of picasa uploads going and my back-up program running.

 

It appears to have solved much of the problem.  I suspect getting the wireless signal for the Wii onto a lesser used channel may have helped also. 

 

I should have some YouTube uploads to do tomorrow; that will be the real test, as that is what always has caused the biggest problem. 

 

Thanks so much for helping me figure this out.  I'll post an update after I get to try netflix on Wii while I am uploading from the hardwired computer.

 

Thank You;

 

Jamie



So far so good.  I have at least 10 hours of Youtube uploads qued up and uploading.  I am currently streaming from my Laptop that is connected via wireless and so far, it is working just fine.

 

I will test on the Wii later this evening, but it looks like the problem may be solved.

 

Thank You,

 

Jamie

Message 27 of 91 (3,250 Views)
Employee

Re: Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

Good deal! Keep us in the loop (and thanks for the update!).
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 28 of 91 (3,247 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

Hello;

 

I've found that I can watch Netflix from my Laptop (with the laptop connected via wireless) even when I am uploading to YouTube from my hard wired computer.

 

However, trying to watch the same Netflix movie on the Wii while I am uploading to YouTube and it is so slow it is basically unwatchable.

 

Netflix works from the Wii:

1. If I am not uploading to YouTube.

2. If I am uploading only with my backup program.

 

Netflix is functional from my Laptop with a wireless connection regardless of what I am uploading.

 

Is this just likely a limitation of the Wii?  Since I am finding that I can stream via wireless to my laptop even when I am uploading.

 

Thanks

 

Jamie

Message 29 of 91 (3,213 Views)
Employee

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

Nintendo wii and netflix.

 

Now something I did when it came to netflix using on the nintendo wii. I have a regular DSL (and not uverse) so this is somewhat relevant.

 

What I did (and since I have a 768kbps upstream) was set the wii's upstream and downstream not to go above 3000/512.

 

When I did this, I can still upload to various sites and even bit torrent. I just have to make sure for my bit-torrent purposes that it is less than 256kbps upstream.

 

Now I did this by putting the nintendo wii (via wireless) to a dd-wrt router (where I can control the upstream and downstream rates) . If you are watching via the nintendo wii, you really shouldn't need much more than say 2mbps downstream and 512kbps upstream.

 

Also, be sure to keep up with the updates for the Wii. If you don't have firmware 4.3u, you might have problems on the Wii and it's buffering. According to various other friends that own wii's supposedly going to 4.3u solved a lot of their buffering problems as well (a few of my friends were homebrewers, which may have given additonal problems.). Some on charter cable, some on AT&T DSL.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 30 of 91 (3,210 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.