Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

Scholar

Downloads while uploading very slow, Solutions?

HI;

I'm on the 18/1.5Mbps plan.  My speed tests on the line show very close to 18 and virtually are always at 1.5Mbps.

I've been uploading photos and videos in the background.  I limited it to using 1300kbps, which should leave me a solid 200kbps free, not a lot, but should be enough for sending some simple requests.

If I try and download a test file from a known fast site (one that normally gets 10+Mbps), My network useage will go up to maybe 5-7Mbps at the most, but will hover much lower for most of the download, more like 3-4Mbps.

The test file I am downloading is a single 100MB file, so there should not be a lot of information that needs to be sent, it is mainly a request for the file, then I should be downloading it.

So why is it that I can't download more quickly while uploading, even when my upload is not maxing out the connection and there should be plenty of upload bandwidth available to send the requests promptly?

When I limited my uploads to about 85% of my up stream connection, I thought that would give me enough room for most of my downloading activties to work properly, but this isn't proving to ne the case.

Jamie

Message 1 of 91 (3,781 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
There was a minor improvement, but there's still a bridge tap, interference, or both. Let the outside line tech see if he can find and correct those issues.

Thank You.  I was curious if customer service could test if if they would see anything on the line now, I called and explained the exact situation, including telling them that the line tech is going to be coming out.  They initially didn't see anything wrong with the line, but I asked if they had other tests they could run and he said he did.  He then came back and said that he was reading the upstream as being low, he stated it was around 1.

I sent the contact that Alex put me in touch with a note just after I made this post and he got back to me already, he is going to make sure a line tech is dispatched.

I'll provide an update tomorrow after I find out what the line tech finds.

Not to get my hopes up too much, but do you think my line may support the high (24/3) speed once this issue is fixed?

Thanks again

Jamie

Message 76 of 91 (1,370 Views)
Scholar

Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost unuseable while youtube is uploading

Amazing!!!

I'll test further in case there is still any intermitent issue.  But it looks like there was a bad port on the vrad.  

I'm uploading at 100Kbps via ftp while running 3 HD streams while using VOIP and the VOIP was flawless!

I am connected through a dir-655 for QOS.

Prior to the repair just uploading at 50Kbps on FTP and doing nothing else would have totaled my VOIP connection.

I will test more and update.

Intresting to note; my upstream power level is only reading -0.7 (yes with a decimel) in Uverse Realtime, however when the tech tested, he said the power level for the upsteam was around 20.

1080p on youtube just plays flawlessly!!!

I will update this thread again in a day or two after I have spent some more time on this, but it sure looks fixed.  I had no idea that the connection was suppose to work this well.

I do run into a limit and the video pauses a bit if I am downloading to much, I looked at I am just flat out maxing it out at 18Mbps.

I can upload 100Kbps and with a buch of downloads running, I seem to max out at around 13Mbps of total network activity, I suspect I at hitting a limitation of the router at this point. 

Wow, it's almost like the difference of when I went from a 64Kbps line to a T1 back in 1997.

Jamie

Message 77 of 91 (1,352 Views)
Scholar

Problems Tonight 2/20/2012 -- Was: Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost .....

I had some problems this evening, I suddenly stopped being able to transmit traffic for a short time and now I am getting a couple abnormal results in U-Verse.  My speed tests are also suddenly significantly lower than they were prior to this evening.  

Update / changes since my last post: After my last post, that same evening, I had level 2 tech upgrade my connection to the 24/3Mbps plan, since the tech said my line should support it based on the readings we got after the repair.  My speed tests post upgrade showed me at about 23Mbps / 1.9Mbps.  Interestingly, U-Verse reports my profile rate at 25,208 / 2,040, even thought I'm on the 24/3 plan.  I had read on here somewhere about a higher profile and I thought maybe I was suppose to be switched to that but I asked the Level 2 tech and he confirmed that is normal for this plan.  None of that concerns me much, my connection has been working and I was able to get that important call done last Thursday on Skype and it worked great.  I appreciate all the efforts of the people in the forum and AT&T staff to get my line fixed for that.

This evening, around 7:25 or so I suddenly stopped being able to transmit any traffic on the Internet:

I had several things using my Internet connection at the time; I ended up rebooting, programs were hanging waiting for the connection.  By the time I was re-booted a few minutes later, I was back on.  I didn't know what happened, so I opened U-Verse RealTime and I ran some speed tests.  The speed tests (dslreports site speed test) this evening have been coming back about 18Mbps / 1Mbps, considerably lower than my test results just a few days ago (which as noted above were close to 23Mbps / 1.9Mbps).  I ran this from 2 different computers, one connected via wireless and one connected via cable.  

So I went on to look at U-Verse RealTime and I have included the screen shots below.  Two things stuck out at me, (I didn't grab these screen shots immediately after it happened, so the 15 minute number was higher):

1. My corrected blocks are at 330 million in the past 5 days and were very high in the 15 minute period prior to when I lost my connection.  (this number is also increasing rapidly as I write this message)

2. To the best of my recollection, my FEC rate has always been 0.  Now it is red and currently reads 567,393.4. (seems that it keeps going up every time I look at it.

So I am obviously back up and running and online.  I don't know if tonights incident indicates there is still a line problem or what to think?  My DSL unavailable Seconds only reads 46, so I am not sure if the DSL its self was even down.

I would have blamed it on something being weird on my computer, except for the changes to the screens in the modem / router as noted above and the slower speed test results.

Thanks very much for your help;

Regards;

Jamie

Message 78 of 91 (1,316 Views)
Expert

Re: Problems Tonight 2/20/2012 -- Was: Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost .....

jamiedolan,

Looks like some kind of interference or bridge tap (4.5-4.8 MHz and 6.1-7.0 MHz).

I would call tech support and have them send a linesman. The weird bitloading plus the large amount of corrected blocks indicates there is definitely some kind of line problem.
Message 79 of 91 (1,310 Views)
Scholar

Re: Problems Tonight 2/20/2012 -- Was: Re: Something is wrong. Netflix almost .....

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
jamiedolan,

Looks like some kind of interference or bridge tap (4.5-4.8 MHz and 6.1-7.0 MHz).

I would call tech support and have them send a linesman. The weird bitloading plus the large amount of corrected blocks indicates there is definitely some kind of line problem.

Thank You for your prompt response.

I was in touch with Level 2 support today and they have setup for a tech to come out tomorrow between 12:00 and 4:00.  I inquired if this was a line tech or a inside tech.  I was told it was again an inside tech, as they are not able to directly send out a outside tech.

It seems a bit silly to me that they are going to send out a 3rd inside tech in a week.  Every one of the inside techs has said to me, since their tests are showing an outside line problem, I don't know why they don't just dispatch a line tech instead.

Is there a way to get this esclated so that a line tech or field engineer could get out here and fix this?

Thanks so much;

Jamie

Message 80 of 91 (1,296 Views)
Expert

The inside techs are supposed to be able to open a "helper ticket" for the linesmen if they determine it to be an outside line problem. If this doesn't happen properly, post back and we'll put you in touch with Alex or David's team.
Message 81 of 91 (1,284 Views)
Contributor

I just subscribed to the Uverse 18Mbps plan and install happened yesterday.  

I immediately noticed this same slowness issue when uploading anything (my download rate is as low as 1 Mbps when I'm running my online backup program).

Its only been a day so I've not done nearly the extent of debug I've read in this thread (and hope not to!).  But I do have a call in for a tech to come out again.

Any tips on what to say to the tech to expedite through this very painful process or any  updates on this known issue since it was first reported would be very much appreciated.

Message 82 of 91 (978 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

EvanBryce wrote:

I just subscribed to the Uverse 18Mbps plan and install happened yesterday.  

I immediately noticed this same slowness issue when uploading anything (my download rate is as low as 1 Mbps when I'm running my online backup program).

Its only been a day so I've not done nearly the extent of debug I've read in this thread (and hope not to!).  But I do have a call in for a tech to come out again.

Any tips on what to say to the tech to expedite through this very painful process or any  updates on this known issue since it was first reported would be very much appreciated.

There is very little a tech can do for you.  If you're saturating your uplink bandwidth with online backup, the 2WIRE doesn't handle this well.  Throtling your backup to use less than 80% of the available upstream backup would be your first move.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 83 of 91 (947 Views)
Teacher

Hi,

I've been a U-verse internet-only subscriber for several years with the 24/3 service.  Over the past couple months, I've noticed that my download speed falls by a factor of 2 to 10 and my ping goes from ~20 ms to > 350 ms when I'm uploading data (to, e.g., Dropbox, CrashPlan, or Apple's Photo Stream).  I'm not completely sure that I wasn't having this problem to some degree before and just didn't notice, but now the effect is dramatic.  I've limited my upload speeds, which helped a little.

I had a tech out this morning.  He replaced my 3800 with a 3801 and changed the VRAD port for my service (which increased my max user rate from ~45 Mbps to ~65 Mbps), but neither change had any effect on my problem.  The tech said that he couldn't see anything wrong with the line to my house.  At that point, he gave up (I can't blame him - it is Christmas Eve).  Is there anything I can do about this?  Would I have better luck with the Motorola residential gateway instead of the 2Wire?

Thanks,

Todd

Message 84 of 91 (626 Views)
Employee

As Uverse RG do not provide QoS, need to purchase a router that does, place it behind the RG, to control upload percentage.

As upload saturation affects download (many threads on this), the other option is to schedule uploads (backups) when service not in use, like maybe 4am.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 85 of 91 (617 Views)
Teacher

Does the Motorola NVG589 have the same problems with upload saturation as the 2Wire residential gateways?

Thanks,

Todd

Message 86 of 91 (598 Views)
Employee

No ATT Uverse RG has QoS, so yes. The bigger advantage to 589, able to handle both single and bonded installs, has b/g/n capabilities, has (4) 10/100/1000 ports versus other RGs being 10/100.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 87 of 91 (590 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the scoop on the 589.

I'm still somewhat confused.  Are the download and upload streams independent on U-verse?  Some of the other threads blame the upload-saturation-causing-slow-downloads problem on poor software in the 2Wire RGs, but if the 589 also has the problem, does that suggest that the problem is somehow intrinsic to U-verse.

Thanks,

Todd

Message 88 of 91 (578 Views)
Employee

On all providers there is download and upload bandwidth.
The issue becomes when doing multiple things, same want to upload video to YouTube and download game software at same time.

The related programs have to be able to communicate, example?...a/send me a packet, b/sends, I have sent the packet, a/I received packet, send another packet...these continues till job is done.

Now when uploading a file (conversation hog) the downloading confirmation has to wait till break in upload before it can communicate. This waiting (slowing down download) is saturation.

To control need the ability to limit how much of available bandwidth (upload) can be used at one time (QoS)
The ATT RGs do not have that ability, thus customer has to either monitor usage to avoid conflict.(upload file after watching Netflix) or purchase a router that has that capacity and place behind RG. Limit upload to say 65% so on a 18/1.5 (Max plus) only 1M can be used by a program leaving the .5M for other upload tasks such as packet verification.

Which is why when running speed tests, hardwired direct connect to eliminate wifi interference, and only only device in use (no other activity from multiple devices).

If received correct speeds, then other issues are how are you using the service. Not something ATT can control.
Other examples of not controlled by RG, parental controls to disconnect certain devices at a set time. Need your own router that has that capacity or just collect all devices at prescribed time, like turning your guns when entering wild west town, marshal.
Employee Contributor*
Message 89 of 91 (574 Views)
Scholar

I had many of the problems where I had to juggle pausing upload when I needed to download and visa versa.  I finally broke down and bought the best/ most expensive consumer grade router I could find, an Asus ac66u.

It pretty much just solved all of these issues out of the box.

See the attached screen shot and you will be able to see how close I'm able to come to maxing out my connection in both directions at the same time with this router.  I would have bought a new router a long time ago if I knew it worked this well.

*Asus is a huge company and I have no affiliation with them, I bought their router because it was suppose to be the best consumer grade router on the market.

Message 90 of 91 (571 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.