Downloads from iTunes extremely slow since moving to Power

Teacher

Downloads from iTunes extremely slow since moving to Power

I have been a U-verse customer for a few years and have had no issues (aside from terrible upload speed offerings from U-verse, but that's a different topic).  I recently noticed that Power was available in my area (South Florida) and ordered it. Install was scheduled a few days later and went fine - techs were here a few hours setting up the bonded pair and everything works great. Speeds close to advertised speeds (though my sync rate indicates a max up speed of 17, profile only allows 6 - such a waste. Very sad faster up speed not offered).

Anyway, my issue is that downloads from Apple have slowed to a crawl - 100-200K range. Other sites work fine (e.g., Amazon downloads at full speed).  The issue is not with Apple, my Apple account, or my PC as I can connect the same PC to personal hotspot on my LTE BlackBerry and get speeds in the 20 Mbps range from Apple.  I have also ruled out anything else on my network as I connected my PC via ethernet directly to the gateway with nothing else connected to the gateway ports and wireless turned off.  This problem started when I switched to Power and got a new gateway (NVG589).  I only subscribe to U-verse internet - no phone, no TV.

I have not changed any settings since installation and am using the standard DNS servers the gateway was configured with at install (dns6rd1.sbcglobal.net and dns6rd2.sbcglobal.net).  Gateway software is 9.1.0h4d38. Line stats below.  I ran traceroute to two known Apple's servers - results pasted below as well.

Any suggestions as to why the sudden poor performance?

Thanks!

Line 1 Line 2  Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Line StateUpUp
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps)2940825815
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps)30403040
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)4288036912
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps)94658735
ModulationVDSL2VDSL2
Data PathInterleavedInterleaved
SN Margin (dB)13.320.512.218.9
Line Attenuation (dB)37.927.541.729.5
Output Power(dBm)14.48.514.38.6
Errored Seconds0000
Loss of Signal0000
Loss of Frame0000
FEC Errors564207360
CRC Errors0000

Aggregated Information
Bonded Downstream Rate55223
Bonded Upstream Rate6080

C:\Users\David>tracert swcdn.apple.com

Tracing route to user-att-70-253-64-0.a950.gi3.akamai.net [23.3.98.42]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dsldevice.att.net [192.168.1.254]
2 25 ms 23 ms 24 ms xx-xxx-xx-x.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net [70.
253.68.3]
3 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms 99.167.141.102
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 25 ms 27 ms 27 ms 12.83.70.13
7 25 ms 86 ms 26 ms fldfl02jt.ip.att.net [12.122.82.25]
8 27 ms 27 ms 26 ms 0.xe-7-2-0.BR1.MIA19.ALTER.NET [204.255.168.17]

9 69 ms 72 ms 70 ms TenGigE0-6-0-0.GW6.CHI13.ALTER.NET [152.63.69.82
]
10 67 ms 66 ms 67 ms akamai-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.92.54]
11 68 ms 67 ms 68 ms a23-3-98-42.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
[23.3.98.42]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\David>tracert p16-buy.itunes.apple.com

Tracing route to p16-buy.itunes.apple.com.akadns.net [17.154.66.156]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dsldevice.att.net [192.168.1.254]
2 25 ms 24 ms 23 ms xx-xxx-xx-x.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net [70.
253.68.3]
3 28 ms 24 ms 24 ms 99.167.141.102
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 25 ms 27 ms 27 ms 12.83.70.13
7 100 ms 98 ms 99 ms 12.122.136.41
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\David>

Message 1 of 13
Community Support

Re: Downloads from iTunes extremely slow since moving to Power

Hi dbags,

I apologize for the issues you are having with your internet services. I was looking through the internet and found a few things that may be helpful.

Just for testing purposes

1. Disable any of your firewalls/virus scanners (including Windows) and test it
  2. Set your device in IP Passthrough mode to see if there may be a port forwarding issue

To set your device in IP passthrough mode, this article goes step by step on how to do it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13
ACE - Expert

Another question that comes to mind is if you are testing that 6 Mbps upstream while you're downloading from the Apple store?  An online backup, perhaps?

The firmware in most RGs doesn't prioritize traffic very well and confirmation packets for your downstream can get held up by your other upstream traffic and kill your download rate.

Also, trying to tracert to CDN based content (e.g. stuff hosted by akamai) can be almost as useful as herding cats.  The landscape is constantly shifting.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13
Teacher

Thanks for the responses.There is no antivirus installed. I will try passthrough and report back, but as you will read below, the issue is AT&T's DNS server.

Upstream works fine and I am not maxing out both upstream and downstream at the same time.

As a point of reference, I changed the DNS server on my computer to Google's (8.8.8.8) and everything is working at normal speed, so the issue is with the new DNS provided with the Power tier. For some reason it is causing downloads from Apple to slow to a crawl.

Message 4 of 13
Mentor

Your DNS response time is not going to affect your page loading since your computer is going to cache the DNS response and not look up every time.  Even if it took 5 seconds to complete the DNS request you'll only have that original five second delay, every request to that domain/host/URL after won't do a DNS lookup.  Your issue sounds like the same kind of throughput problem that many Uverse customers are complaining out.

If you look through the forums you'll find lots of people comlaining that various web services/sites are slow with Uverse like Netflix, Hulu, etc.  I've opened my own thread to see if I can have anyone help me with this becaues it definitely seems to be a capacity/throughput problem rather than any other technical issue.  AT&T simple does not have the Internet capacity to deal with their customers appropriately.

Message 5 of 13
ACE - Expert

jesserehmer wrote:

...  AT&T simple does not have the Internet capacity to deal with their customers appropriately.

This is a blanket statement that you have made without adequate evidence to back it up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 13

jesserehmer wrote:

If you look through the forums you'll find lots of people comlaining that various web services/sites are slow with Uverse like Netflix, Hulu, etc.  I've opened my own thread to see if I can have anyone help me with this becaues it definitely seems to be a capacity/throughput problem rather than any other technical issue.  AT&T simple does not have the Internet capacity to deal with their customers appropriately.

If you look through other providers forums you will see the same issues with everyone of them, not just AT&T.  At work we have OC-3 at work as we are a SaaS provider and I have issues with both Netflix and Youtube at times.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 7 of 13
Teacher

jesserehmer wrote:

Your DNS response time is not going to affect your page loading since your computer is going to cache the DNS response and not look up every time.  Even if it took 5 seconds to complete the DNS request you'll only have that original five second delay, every request to that domain/host/URL after won't do a DNS lookup.  Your issue sounds like the same kind of throughput problem that many Uverse customers are complaining out.

I disagree completely. The issue is the DNS.  I just switched to the AT&T DNS server and my download from iTunes showed 19 minutes remaining. I paused it, switched to Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) and resumed the download. It finished in about 20 seconds.  Clear evidence that the issue lies with AT&T's DNS service.

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

I fear you misinterpreted the evidence.

It is more likely that AT&T's DNS sends you to the CDN that Apple intends for AT&T customers to use, which may be adjacent to an overloaded peering.  Google's DNS sends you to a more generic CDN which isn't overloaded with other AT&T customers and therefore the path from that CDN is less congested.

Message 9 of 13
Teacher

OK - fair enough. The end result being that something is awry somewhere and I have isolated the cause. Thankfully, there is a fix.

Is there any downside to using a DNS other than AT&T's, such as Google's DNS, with U-verse?
Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

There could be.  AT&T's DNS may direct you to different servers that offer the same content that are designed for AT&T users.  This is supposed to make things better for the AT&T network and AT&T subscribers.  As you have found, that's not necessarily so.  It could break services such as video streaming requiring authentication, but that's unlikely as well.

The RG won't let you mess with its DNS so that it and any receivers will always get where they're supposed to within the U-verse network.

In short, you'll likely be fine.  Many people use Google's DNS services.  Some use OpenDNS or some other DNS service that provides some feature such as Parental Content control, etc.

Message 11 of 13
Teacher

Thanks for the quick response. I have a dedicated PC for iTunes and that's the only one where I changed the DNS on the network adapter - all other devices use's the RG's standard DNS so, as you stated, shouldn't be any issues elsewhere.

Thanks JefferMC for the support.
Message 12 of 13
Tutor

I'm having the same problem ... changing to 8.8.8.8 did nothing to help ...

Anyone else fix this?

Message 13 of 13
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support