Door to door salesman

Door to door salesman

I had a door to door salesman come by yesterday and the deal he offered was much better than my twc plan. So I wanted to hear his pitch and after a while he asked me for my name, email, phone, PIN number of my own choosing to set up and account, and then he asked me what my favorite restaurant was to be used as a security question. Then he asked me for my social security number which I refused but that he said I can just tell the call center when they ask instead of writing it down. So he called the call center on speaker phone, after going through exchanging each other's identification number, the salesman and the operator got into a disagreement how my area is not available for Internet and tv. He then told her that on his laptop it was green and I even checked on my phone and my area indeed had uverse available. So he asked for the manager but in the meantime he pulled out his other cellphone and called his "boss" telling that person he's having trouble with the att operator. Using it as a last resort to sort this out but the supervisor came on the line, confirmed uverse was available, apologized, and handed the line back to the operator. The operator apologized and then I was handed the phone while she asked me questions that the salesman asked while I had the answer all ready. So she asked for my date of birth and social security number to run a credit check. Told me I had to pay an installation fee and also a non refundable deposit which totaled $400-$500. The salesman motioned to me to refuse the pay, so I hung up afterwards. He then asked for my mom's dob and ssn in order to save me money by not paying the deposit fee. He said he would have his boss phone in the information in order to bypass the no credit that I have.

Did I just become a victim of identity theft or was this door to door salesman legit and wanted to make commission badly?
Message 1 of 6 (2,587 Views)

Re: Door to door salesman

I did not provide him with my mom's ssn or dob. I only provided mine to the "call center" I am losing sleep here because I regret talking to the salesman. I should have just refused like I do to every door to door salesperson
Message 2 of 6 (2,585 Views)
Highlighted

I can't really reassure you too well because the story has suspicious elements (like asking for your mother's SSN and DOB).  AT&T contracts third parties to sell door-to-door, so you were not dealing directly with AT&T employees in your encounter.  The best advice I can give you for the future is never to give personal or financial information to someone that contacts you--only give it to someone that you contact.  And by contact, I mean call a known number for a given business--not by responding to a link or phone number in an email, or in person to someone you do not know, or did not invite to your home.   The salesman in your story placed the call, not you, so you don't really know who was on the other end.  Since you did not actually establish an account (even if the D2D salesman was legitimate), I doubt that AT&T would have your information in their records, but you could try calling and asking.   If by some chance they do, then it would suggest you were not just a victim of ID theft.  Good luck--I hope all works out well for you.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 3 of 6 (2,553 Views)

I just called AT&T and they confirmed that they had me in their records. Thank you so much for the response. They need to make a better system for third party contractors in order for it to feel safe and not be prone to con artists using it as a means to get your personal information.
Message 4 of 6 (2,551 Views)

I'm glad to hear your encouraging news--it doesn't guarantee against possible ID theft, but at least you know that AT&T got your information.  I hope you sleep a bit better now.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 5 of 6 (2,537 Views)
Scholar

I would still suggest that you keep an eye on your credit scores and check your credit cards for fraudulent activity during the coming year, just in case.  If they were scammers, they still could have called AT&T in your stead and gotten that information entered for you.

I always tell door to door solitors the same thing, "I never give out information or donations to people I don't know."  I'll go online or write to them directly if I consider them worthy.  There are plenty of scammers.  I'll call the local police to check up on them when they leave.  Some of my neighbors have done the same thing, and the police have caught a few people and returned checks to neighbors that have gotten scammed.

Message 6 of 6 (2,471 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.