Door to door sales asking inappropriate questions.

Visitor

Door to door sales asking inappropriate questions.

We recently moved and today my wife had AT&T door to door sales people come to the door. 

They showed appropriate ID when she asked to see it but she failed to write down the information. 

They asked her questions such as: 

What kind of car does your husband drive?

What is your current bill with your provider.

When will he be home?

What kind of dog is that you have?

Can we take a look at your garage?

At this point I'm concerned that even if these were AT&T employees or contractors they are in fact "casing" our home asking questions about our car, and asking to see the garage, my work hours and type of car I drive.

If this is typical of your employees and contractors, please keep them away from our home.

Message 1 of 5 (639 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Door to door sales asking inappropriate questions.

If that happened to my wife she would have called 911.  I suggest you tell yours to do the same if it happens again.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (637 Views)
Employee

D2D are contractors working an area, when they leave they move on to next area.

I suspect your wife informed them she or they would need to talk to you before a decision could be made.

As only in area probably that day, was asking car, time home to come back later that day when you would be home.
Any sales person would need a base for comparison, explains question about current bill.
The dog question is just trying to be friendly and establish a common bond, interest in animals, sales tactic.

The garage question I admit I do not understand as they do not install the service. An installer or repair tech if equipment or wiring is through the garage may request. I am willing to write this question off to killing time, hoping for your early return.

If you were to order service will ask for more personal information to run a credit check for approval, otherwise a $449 deposit may be required with no or poor credit.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5 (579 Views)
Community Manager

Hello @kenth59 

As my thoughts explained, some of it sounds normal, but some sounds very odd, If you'd like, our team can look further into this matter for you. Just send us a private message by clicking here.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (542 Views)
Employee

Smiley Surprised

I totally understand your concern. Maybe they should have taken the time to explain why they would ask those types of questions. I assure you that they all have some reasonable explanation.

Such as what kind of car does your husband drive?

Well they would want to know if it is updated model vehicle so that it may support any technical advancements that are currently offered with uverse tv, high speed internet, home phone, security system. It does make sense when you can currently lock your home, set a remainder on your tv, record a show,; just to name a few features Smiley Happy easily from your smartphone apps.

What is your current bill with your provider?

Well At&t takes pride in trying to form fit the best features for the best value. I would have been concerned had they not asked because I want them to take my money in to account. A personal financial question yes, but I prefer they know to offer the best features that I can reasonably afford.

When will he be home?

As anyone knows when there are two spouses to a home any financial decision should be made by both parties. I would not be to happy if my partner signed a contract for service I did not even get a chance to consider. I agree they should have clarified the question from that point.

What kind of dog is that you have?

This is tricky but, any professional technician that will conduct the installation does need to know if any animals are in the home to best prepare for a fast, easy, convenient installation. As well as if the home is a second level incase a ladder may be required. These are fairly typical questions regularly asked with any set up of uverse service.

Can we look in your garage?

Ah hhmm. Well some men may refer to this as there man cave!! The place where they can watch the latest football game on there Samsung HD tv with the guys, maybe even play some poker on the weekend. Whatever the garage maybe to you, the point behind the question is simple......is there a connection for power source and do you watch tv there. Why? you may ask would they care. Well uverse can sign your TV service with the capability of a wireless receiver. Think about it you can connect it in your bedroom, then when the guys come over your wife has her girls in the living room, dinning room, any room and you can escape to the garage with the simplicity of disconnecting a receiver to take to your garage. Hey and if you do not have card for the poker game no biggy. You can easily download the poker app from Uverse on your smartphone and have it display on your tv. The kicker, you have your hand on your phone and so do up to 7 other people on their smartphones while the game is played on your tv.

This may have been a different approach from those gentlemen to say the least but I am more than sure they did have your best interest at heart.

After this I do hope your reconsider your feelings because honestly you would truly gain some great features that useful, affordable, and innovative.

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 5 (529 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.