Does uverse voice use existing land lines?

Contributor

Does uverse voice use existing land lines?

I have a land line AT&T voice phone now and have signed up for uverse tv, internet, and voice. Will my existing land line entering the house still be used? Will the house internal phone wiring still be used for phone?

Message 1 of 4 (2,256 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Does uverse voice use existing land lines?

The answer is: Maybe.

Depending on the quality of the wiring in your home (i.e. is twisted pair cable, has connectivity to the correct room, doesn't branch), the installer may elect to run the VDSL2 circuit using your existing telephone wire to where your Residential Gateway (RG, similar to a cable modem or DSL modem) will be located.  If not satisfied with that solution, he may want to run a dedicated twisted pair cable from the NID (on the back of your house) directly to the RG.  If you have multiple telephones in your home that will be on U-verse voice, he can backfeed the dial tone from the RG to your home wiring.

To run both VDSL2 and back-feed voice over your existing phone wiring, he will have to have enough pairs in the cable so that the VDSL2 pair can be different from the voice pair.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (2,256 Views)
Contributor

Does the RG have to be centered in the home relative to TV and computers? What are the restrictions on locating the RG?

Message 3 of 4 (2,256 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

The RG will need to be somewhere that it can access the home wiring for signal distribution.  You may also want to consider wireless signal coverage.

The RG needs to get incoming signal from the NID.  As I said this can be via a dedicated Cat5e run, or via in home Cat 3.  It can also come in on Coax, if absolutely necessary.

The RG needs to distribute the TV signal to your DVR and STBs.  This can be via Cat5 or Coax.  Because of this, the RG is normally located near some Coax outlet in the home, and the IPTV signal is distributed using the HPNA networking protocol over the Coax. 

However, if your house has structured wiring, you have a lot more options.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (2,256 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support