Does U-Verse TV slow down U-Verse internet?

Teacher

Does U-Verse TV slow down U-Verse internet?

I have only U-Verse internet at the moment but soon will be installing U-Verse TV.

Does U-Verse TV slow down U-Verse internet at all?

There will be 2 wireless receiver installed and 1 standard receiver in the house for a total of 3 TV's. 

Also, while shopping for U-Verse TV, I noticed that there is an option to add HD services for $10/month. If I didn't opt for HD, will this help not slow my U-Verse internet at all? 

I live in a house with two dwelling units meaning there is a house in the front and another house in the back. We're deciding to install U-Verse TV in the front house ( tenants want TV ) and U-Verse internet in the back ( me ). 

Is this possible at all?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17 (5,120 Views)
Mentor

Re: Does U-Verse TV slow down U-Verse internet?

I'm just a fellow user so some AT&T employee might give a better answer. I have U-verse, the U300 package, the HD option and 18 mbps Internet. Speed tests show on average 17.5 to 18.3 mbps for Internet with the tv playing in another room. No slow down or issues with either.

I'm assuming there's more than one way to skin a cat and not all installs are the same, mine has the drop line going to the router which sits behind the TV, which goes to the STB to control the tv. The router (what AT&T refers to as a gateway) is WiFi enabled meaning it is actually a radio transmitter. I get Internet on my desktop from a USB D-Link device which receives the wireless signal from the gateway. Ditto for my tablet and cell phone, once you install a simple, free app.

IF you have a HD TV, I suggest you go for the HD option. The picture quality at least for me since in my area I have fiber optics can be stunning and well worth the extra $10 bucks a month. It depends somewhat WHERE you live, in my U-300 package I get about 170 HD channels. Keep in mind just because it is a HD channel every broadcast won't be in HD, the Guide button shows when it is.

With your housing arragement WiFi may not work too well because of distances. WiFi reception is good up to about 150 feet from the WiFi Gateway. Closer is of course better. Ask the installer, they can easily run a Ethernet line instead. If you don't want to run Ethernet lines there are newer plug into your electrical outlet devices that are suppose to work well, I haven't tried yet because I have some WiFi issues I might.

Message 2 of 17 (5,095 Views)
Employee

Hello again, yes TV service (priority) over internet....
Question what profile, what internet package?
Each HD stream uses about 6M, SD uses 2M so can use 3SD streams for 1 HD stream.
Uverse only allows 4 streams, standard package if all streams in use would consume 8M.
If longer loop length 25M profile, 25-8=17, so on MAX PLUS (18/1.5) not much difference about 155 to 16.

On the other hand, 25M profile HD is 3HD streams, 1 SD....
If watching, recording all 4 inputs 25-((6x3)+2)=5 M left, 4.5 expected speed.

The other profile is 32M for shorter loop lengths, but all inputs HD
All inputs in use as HD...32-(6x4)=8 expect to see 6m5 to 7 internet speeds if MAX PLUS.

Of course if order ELITE (6/1) for $10 less regardless of tv usage, should always see about 6.

Still believe address shoud be separated, each gets own service.
What happens when front house wants Netflix, your internet?
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 17 (5,077 Views)
Teacher

my thoughts wrote:
Hello again, yes TV service (priority) over internet....
Question what profile, what internet package?
Each HD stream uses about 6M, SD uses 2M so can use 3SD streams for 1 HD stream.
Uverse only allows 4 streams, standard package if all streams in use would consume 8M.
If longer loop length 25M profile, 25-8=17, so on MAX PLUS (18/1.5) not much difference about 155 to 16.

On the other hand, 25M profile HD is 3HD streams, 1 SD....
If watching, recording all 4 inputs 25-((6x3)+2)=5 M left, 4.5 expected speed.

The other profile is 32M for shorter loop lengths, but all inputs HD
All inputs in use as HD...32-(6x4)=8 expect to see 6m5 to 7 internet speeds if MAX PLUS.

Of course if order ELITE (6/1) for $10 less regardless of tv usage, should always see about 6.

Still believe address shoud be separated, each gets own service.
What happens when front house wants Netflix, your internet?

I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of 32M 25M or whatever. I have 18/1.5 and will be ordering U-Verse TV Basic, family or possibility 200/300. They said that the U-Verse TV bill goes for about 91-$120 so I have no idea unless I see their bill. They use 2 wireless and 1 standard. I don't think they will pay HD service $10.00 per month extra at all. As for recording, is this something you have to pay for or it is included with whatever tv package you order?

Message 4 of 17 (4,967 Views)
Teacher

billy-xwow wrote:

I'm just a fellow user so some AT&T employee might give a better answer. I have U-verse, the U300 package, the HD option and 18 mbps Internet. Speed tests show on average 17.5 to 18.3 mbps for Internet with the tv playing in another room. No slow down or issues with either.

I'm assuming there's more than one way to skin a cat and not all installs are the same, mine has the drop line going to the router which sits behind the TV, which goes to the STB to control the tv. The router (what AT&T refers to as a gateway) is WiFi enabled meaning it is actually a radio transmitter. I get Internet on my desktop from a USB D-Link device which receives the wireless signal from the gateway. Ditto for my tablet and cell phone, once you install a simple, free app.

IF you have a HD TV, I suggest you go for the HD option. The picture quality at least for me since in my area I have fiber optics can be stunning and well worth the extra $10 bucks a month. It depends somewhat WHERE you live, in my U-300 package I get about 170 HD channels. Keep in mind just because it is a HD channel every broadcast won't be in HD, the Guide button shows when it is.

With your housing arragement WiFi may not work too well because of distances. WiFi reception is good up to about 150 feet from the WiFi Gateway. Closer is of course better. Ask the installer, they can easily run a Ethernet line instead. If you don't want to run Ethernet lines there are newer plug into your electrical outlet devices that are suppose to work well, I haven't tried yet because I have some WiFi issues I might.

Well what I have planned was...

We're going to have the 2Wire router/modem 3800 on one side of the house. I was told by a AT&T rep that the house that will have TV service can plug in their Standard DVR into a phone jack and the wireless receivers will connect through Standard DVR right?

Message 5 of 17 (4,966 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

The 3800 RG is the central control point, the DVR can be either coax or Ethernet (preferred) to RPG, the Wireless Access Pointt (WAP) is an Ethernet connection from RG to WAP.
In effect two cables will need to be be from their side , DVR and WAP, to your side to RG, recommend RG location be on a wall that joins the two sides.

Unless talking to a Uverse premise/wire tech,who does installs and repairs, I would question any representation of how long the install will take, sales says two hours or your install window (arrivial) is 2 hours, actual 3 box install with internet could be 3 to 6 hours, depending on line issues. Until a walk through has been done and discussion of needs and wants it would be difficult to state specific solutions.

Remember, the RG will control both sides, physical connection(s) required, depending on IP TV services order and the internet speed you order (max Plus, 18/1.5) your performance may suffer.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 17 (4,957 Views)
Teacher

my thoughts wrote:

The 3800 RG is the central conrrol point, the DVR can be either coax or Ethernet (preferred) to RPG, the Wireless Access Pointt (WAP) is n Ethernet connection from RG to WAP.
In effect two cables will need to be be from their side , DVR and WAP, to your side to RG, recommend RG location be on a wall that joins the two sides.

Unless talking to a Uverse premise/wire tech,who does installs and repairs, I would question any representation of how long the install will take, sales says two hours or your install window (arrivial) is 2 hours, actual 3 box install with internet could be 3 to 6 hours, depending on line issues. Until a walk through has been done and discussion of needs and wants it would be difficult to state specific solutions.

Remember, the RG will control both sides, physical connection(s) required, depending on IP TV services order and the internet speed you order (max Plus, 18/1.5) your performance may suffer.

I feel like I should just cancel my internet and just go with Comcast. As of now, I can cancel without a ETF even though my contract was recently renewed on Nov. 

I think that U-Verse tech who comes to our home, will have to install really really long cables. DVR coax/ethernet to RG and cables from WAP to RG. 

Other than that, is it possible to disable internet service from them when they use U-Verse TV? ( A stand-alone U-Verse TV ) without the need of internet from my U-verse internet. 

Message 7 of 17 (4,942 Views)
Teacher

I also forgot to mention that we have 1 ethernet , 2-6 wireless devices that will connect to the RG. RG needs to be near us to maintain that 5 bars for maximum performance. 

Message 8 of 17 (4,941 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

The RG has 4 ports, your currently using 1, they will need at least 1 for WAP, and possibly 2 if TV DVR not on coax.

How will access be given for cable runs, a basement, crawl space, attic, outside on frame?
Both residents will need to be home at time of install, tech will need to come into your residential area to connect to gateway, also any future service calls for tv service will need access for gateway (your tied to being home on a 4 hour repair window for their issue unless giving them the keys to your home), and often one of troubleshooting steps is reset the RG, so if issue with WAP or DVR they will need to reboot the gateway sometimes two or three times.

While you do not give them your wireless passcode, they can still gain access to the internet hardwired by unplugging the WAP Ethernet connection and plugging the Ethernet cable into a laptop or pc. All their activity (legal or otherwise) would be on your account.

Back to earlier posts, the owner of the building needs to get 2 different addresses for 2 different residents in same building, so could have two different uverse accounts. Even an older two story home that is subdivided can be listed as upper lower or A,B.
As this was new construction adding to existing structure, this should have been caught by local community leaders when permits were applied for.

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 17 (4,910 Views)
Teacher

my thoughts wrote:

The RG has 4 ports, your currently using 1, they will need at least 1 for WAP, and possibly 2 if TV DVR not on coax.

How will access be given for cable runs, a basement, crawl space, attic, outside on frame?
Both residents will need to be home at time of install, tech will need to come into your residential area to connect to gateway, also any future service calls for tv service will need access for gateway (your tied to being home on a 4 hour repair window for their issue unless giving them the keys to your home), and often one of troubleshooting steps is reset the RG, so if issue with WAP or DVR they will need to reboot the gateway sometimes two or three times.

While you do not give them your wireless passcode, they can still gain access to the internet hardwired by unplugging the WAP Ethernet connection and plugging the Ethernet cable into a laptop or pc. All their activity (legal or otherwise) would be on your account.

Back to earlier posts, the owner of the building needs to get 2 different addresses for 2 different residents in same building, so could have two different uverse accounts. Even an older two story home that is subdivided can be listed as upper lower or A,B.
As this was new construction adding to existing structure, this should have been caught by local community leaders when permits were applied for.

What if U-Verse TV used Coaxial Cable than Ethernet? I will notify the U-Verse technician to do so. What about the wireless receivers? How will they be connected if the router/modem/2wire gateway will be far apart on the other side of the house?

Cable run will be through outside on frame. We have a door that leads us to the other house so it might go under a door as well. The two houses are connected with each other with a door. 

Owner of the house can't do that. I don't know why but if he did, he would've done it a long time ago. The house we're living in is currently listed as one house still. 

Message 10 of 17 (4,891 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Update :

It turns out that our tenants will only be using TV Basic Service. That means they will only be using 2 wireless receivers and a U-Verse receiver with no DVR/HD. 

Does the U-Verse receiver needs to be connected to the gateway 2wire/router/modem still?

Message 11 of 17 (4,860 Views)
ACE - Expert

Ok11223 - Wireless receivers are connected to the gateway wirelessly via a WAP that is connected to the gateway via cat5 cable. The WAP must be carefully positioned to assure a strong wireless signal between the receiver and the WAP.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 17 (4,852 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Yes, nothing has changed, the gateway controls the tvs, hardwired or wireless...the only difference is without a dvr or HD fee,their viewing habits will not have a large impact on your internet service as only 3 streams at one time SD uses about 2M per stream (input) or 6M total.

On a basic tv installation, the install charge is $149, plus $49 for each wireless receiver,plus $49 tv activation fee or about $300 afterwards their portion of the bill should be ubasic $19, plus 2 receiver @$8 each plus $2.99 local tv fee plus taxes guess $40 a month.

From fine print.. http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp
U-basic: U-basic package available; includes local channels only. Installation Fee applies. Call for details.

As your the account holder, you will be billed these fees and will need to collect from them, to make sure everyone is aware....
$300 to get installed, plus prorated first month plus full next month expect need about $375 for first bill.

Ubasic is local changes only, no DVR included, a DVR can be leased for an additional $15 per month.

Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 17 (4,851 Views)
Teacher

my thoughts wrote:

Yes, nothing has changed, the gateway controls the tvs, hardwired or wireless...the only difference is without a dvr or HD fee,their viewing habits will not have a large impact on your internet service as only 3 streams at one time SD uses about 2M per stream (input) or 6M total.

On a basic tv installation, the install charge is $149, plus $49 for each wireless receiver,plus $49 tv activation fee or about $300 afterwards their portion of the bill should be ubasic $19, plus 2 receiver @$8 each plus $2.99 local tv fee plus taxes guess $40 a month.

From fine print.. http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp
U-basic: U-basic package available; includes local channels only. Installation Fee applies. Call for details.

As your the account holder, you will be billed these fees and will need to collect from them, to make sure everyone is aware....
$300 to get installed, plus prorated first month plus full next month expect need about $375 for first bill.

Ubasic is local changes only, no DVR included, a DVR can be leased for an additional $15 per month.

I talked to retentions department and they're going to waive the tv activation fee($49), installation fee($149), wireless receiver fees ($49), and even 1 year free rental for the wireless receivers. 

I have to go with u-family because I can't get the tv-package premium channels with u-basic.

To avoid all this, can't I just change my account from residential/personal type to a small business/business account so that I can just get my u-verse internet installed even when theres already u-verse at this location. (2 uverse accounts, 1 personal/residential, and 1 business ).

Message 14 of 17 (4,794 Views)
Contributor

The proballbilty of the connection of TV and Internet will slow down your Bandwith along with the use of TV and or Phone. If you have seperated services instead of bundle you would be getting cheap groups of service that are not bundle with u-verse TVPHONEINTERNET. Instead you should guy get seprated service like TV/Internet/Phone. If your connected that are combined you get slower results. I recomned you tell the company for sepreated setup, and payment.

Message 15 of 17 (1,210 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.