Ask a question

Posted May 30, 2012
    3:03:05 AM
    View profile
    Doc Watson guitar picker leaves us at age 89.
    The guitar picker that helped a lot of people learn to play the guitar has left the stage.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Doc Watson guitar picker leaves us at age 89.

3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2012 4:42:13 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Yah, now there's a blow to the world of music.Smiley Sad

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=153953937

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Doc Watson guitar picker leaves us at age 89.

2 of 4 (342 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2012 8:35:51 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    He was an amazing guitar player. His son Merle was also very good. Merle died( in a car accident??) years ago; Doc (and others) set up "MerleFest" music festival.

Sent from my phone.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (333 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2012 6:43:09 PM
    (0)
    Employee

Merle's death was caused by a tractor falling on him.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/WXYZ.html#W

The niceist story I heard about Doc was when a NPR reporter was interviewing another well known singer /guitar player. I forgot who the artist was.  When asked how they got started playing the guitar they said they had a learn to play the guitar book that had some age on it. Inside the book was a telephone number you could call for help. The number was Doc's home number. The artist who was just starting out called and Doc helped him over the phone several times.

4 of 4 (325 Views)