Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 30, 2012
3:03:05 AM
View profile
Doc Watson guitar picker leaves us at age 89.
The guitar picker that helped a lot of people learn to play the guitar has left the stage.
The guitar picker that helped a lot of people learn to play the guitar has left the stage.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Doc Watson guitar picker leaves us at age 89.

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 4:42:13 AM
(0)
Master

Yah, now there's a blow to the world of music.Smiley Sad

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=153953937

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Yah, now there's a blow to the world of music.Smiley Sad

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=153953937

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Doc Watson guitar picker leaves us at age 89.

2 of 4 (347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 8:35:51 AM
(0)
Employee
He was an amazing guitar player. His son Merle was also very good. Merle died( in a car accident??) years ago; Doc (and others) set up "MerleFest" music festival.

He was an amazing guitar player. His son Merle was also very good. Merle died( in a car accident??) years ago; Doc (and others) set up "MerleFest" music festival.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 4 (338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2012 6:43:09 PM
(0)
Employee

Merle's death was caused by a tractor falling on him.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/WXYZ.html#W

The niceist story I heard about Doc was when a NPR reporter was interviewing another well known singer /guitar player. I forgot who the artist was.  When asked how they got started playing the guitar they said they had a learn to play the guitar book that had some age on it. Inside the book was a telephone number you could call for help. The number was Doc's home number. The artist who was just starting out called and Doc helped him over the phone several times.

Merle's death was caused by a tractor falling on him.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/WXYZ.html#W

The niceist story I heard about Doc was when a NPR reporter was interviewing another well known singer /guitar player. I forgot who the artist was.  When asked how they got started playing the guitar they said they had a learn to play the guitar book that had some age on it. Inside the book was a telephone number you could call for help. The number was Doc's home number. The artist who was just starting out called and Doc helped him over the phone several times.

4 of 4 (330 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments