Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 4, 2013
6:08:19 PM
View profile
Do you need internet for DVR playback in other rooms?

Im at my wits end here. I have had u-verse tv and internet at my home for two years now with no issues. I have six boxes total including the dvr all have cat-6 ran to them back to a gigabit switch provided by Uverse tech to RGW. Recently I cancelled the internet due to speed limitations and went to the cable company, from that day forward playback in all of the rooms away from the dvr try to play a recording and pause every 5 seconds and then finally just stop. I have called three times to support on it . The first time they reset all my boxes and gateway didnt work. They setup a tech visit he came and did a three finger command on dvr unplugged other stbs and replugged them back in. They started to work so I was like great. Next day same issue.

Called back to support they did a reset of gateway worked for 1 day and same issue back. This last call they sent me a replacement dvr same issue right out of the box. I dont want to cancel my Uverse tv,I do like it but if they cant find a fix I have no choice but to cancel. I tell all the techs up front I never had this problem until I cancelled the internet but they assure me the service should still be fine but its not. It seems like it just doesnt have enough bandwidth to complete the playback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Im at my wits end here. I have had u-verse tv and internet at my home for two years now with no issues. I have six boxes total including the dvr all have cat-6 ran to them back to a gigabit switch provided by Uverse tech to RGW. Recently I cancelled the internet due to speed limitations and went to the cable company, from that day forward playback in all of the rooms away from the dvr try to play a recording and pause every 5 seconds and then finally just stop. I have called three times to support on it . The first time they reset all my boxes and gateway didnt work. They setup a tech visit he came and did a three finger command on dvr unplugged other stbs and replugged them back in. They started to work so I was like great. Next day same issue.

Called back to support they did a reset of gateway worked for 1 day and same issue back. This last call they sent me a replacement dvr same issue right out of the box. I dont want to cancel my Uverse tv,I do like it but if they cant find a fix I have no choice but to cancel. I tell all the techs up front I never had this problem until I cancelled the internet but they assure me the service should still be fine but its not. It seems like it just doesnt have enough bandwidth to complete the playback. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Do you need internet for DVR playback in other rooms?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 6:16:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
lorenzo111111 - Can you disconnect the switch & try a couple of TVs direct to the RG? When rebooting - disconnect power on all - RG, DVR, STBs.
Repower RG & wait for all green
REpower DVR wait for viewing,
Repower STBs
lorenzo111111 - Can you disconnect the switch & try a couple of TVs direct to the RG? When rebooting - disconnect power on all - RG, DVR, STBs.
Repower RG & wait for all green
REpower DVR wait for viewing,
Repower STBs
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Do you need internet for DVR playback in other rooms?

2 of 6 (288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 6:52:30 PM
(0)
Employee
aviewer offered an excellent idea, the RG keeps the device list and how each are connected.
example if DVR was on coax, and move to ethernet, the RG does not see the change, need to factory reset the RG using the button on back side above power connection...unplug, depress and hold button while plugging in. This forces the RG to get the newest software, searches and recreates the device list, and restores all custom program (name, wifi password, port forwarding, etc.) once completed...bring up set top receivers prefer DVR first.

if continuing problem may need RG replaced but should not unless issue with sending wifi signal strength is weak.
Best and let us know what happens, thanks
aviewer offered an excellent idea, the RG keeps the device list and how each are connected.
example if DVR was on coax, and move to ethernet, the RG does not see the change, need to factory reset the RG using the button on back side above power connection...unplug, depress and hold button while plugging in. This forces the RG to get the newest software, searches and recreates the device list, and restores all custom program (name, wifi password, port forwarding, etc.) once completed...bring up set top receivers prefer DVR first.

if continuing problem may need RG replaced but should not unless issue with sending wifi signal strength is weak.
Best and let us know what happens, thanks
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 6:01:36 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ethanedwards on Dec 5, 2013 at 6:02:11 AM

Are  the RG and STBs isolated from the cable internet?  Ie., are you using the gigabit switch for both tv and cable internet?

Are  the RG and STBs isolated from the cable internet?  Ie., are you using the gigabit switch for both tv and cable internet?

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 6:28:06 AM
(0)
Employee
Ethanedwards offers some advice i overlooked, disconnect you cable modem, does problem still exist?
If not, then need to seperate internet connection from set top boxes, cat5 wiring to both hardwired internet devices and receivers.

If problem continues with cable internet out of way, then possible remaining items are RG, every request runs through RG or switch, as common point of connection.

But to answer question, no do not need internet to watch recordings on receivers.
Ethanedwards offers some advice i overlooked, disconnect you cable modem, does problem still exist?
If not, then need to seperate internet connection from set top boxes, cat5 wiring to both hardwired internet devices and receivers.

If problem continues with cable internet out of way, then possible remaining items are RG, every request runs through RG or switch, as common point of connection.

But to answer question, no do not need internet to watch recordings on receivers.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2013 6:14:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I wanted to post how it finally got fixed. Another ATT Uverse tech came out. After diagnosing all my equipment he changed out my gateway. I had the second generation all black model and he switched me to the first silver model, and he moved my dvr right beside the gateway since I have a tv there. He told me since the signal is strongest there would be wise to leave it there. So far a couple of days no issues (knock on wood). I will keep monitoring

I wanted to post how it finally got fixed. Another ATT Uverse tech came out. After diagnosing all my equipment he changed out my gateway. I had the second generation all black model and he switched me to the first silver model, and he moved my dvr right beside the gateway since I have a tv there. He told me since the signal is strongest there would be wise to leave it there. So far a couple of days no issues (knock on wood). I will keep monitoring

6 of 6 (200 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments