Ask a question

Posted Nov 10, 2013
6:34:54 PM
View profile
Dishonest business practice!

I have a family plan with 5 lines, all eligible for upgrade, so I upgraded 3 lines, one iPhone on Sept 20 and 2 basic phones on Sept 21. On both days, the rep that helped us didn't mention anything about this "$36 upgrade fee" per phone. When I went online yesterday to pay the bill, I was completely shocked to see my bill at $295 instead of $175 that I have always paid. 

I called customer service told the rep I was not told about the fees, she explained these are standard fees and couldn't be waived, told me to go to the store and I might be able to get help there.

So I went to the store, talked to a rep there, got referred to the manager, and again I was told those are standard fees that couldn't be waived, nothing she could do. and very conveniently, the rep that helped with the upgrade was on vacation. 

Went home, called customer service again and asked to speak with a manager, told me the same thing, standard fees, couldn't be waived. the only thing I appreciate going through this ordeal is that everyone I have dealt with gave me the exact same thing, "standard fee, couldn't be waived", att must have spent lots of time and resources training ppl on memorizing that script. But not enough time on training rep to provide accurate fee info.

to be very honest, I would have upgraded the iPhone anyway, but definitely not the 2 basic phones, they were for kids, and the new ones had the same function as the old ones, just differently colors, we got them becoz they were $1@. 

I guess these days att makes money by hitting its customers with all these hidden fees! Tell u nothing about it upfront, then hit u with the fees when it's too late; if u want to get out of it, u need to pay a $35 restocking fee, $150+ Contract termination fee, and these fees r per phone! I guess i could only transfer my other 2 lines out and wait for the 2 yrs to be over.

if anyone had similar experience, please leave a msg, if there's a pattern, hopefully we will have a case.

Dishonest business practice!

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2013 9:46:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's like this for ages. It used to be $18 to upgrade, but now it's $36; sure they don't have to charge this, but the fact of the matter is they can.

As far as whether this is dishonest is up for debate, but it is stated on their website there is an upgrade fee.

Re: Dishonest business practice!

2 of 6 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 7:58:25 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello lvylau1215,

Whenever you upgrade your phone at our corporate store, they have to review a copy of your Customer Service Summary with you, it covers your plan details and all applicable fees, have you received one of those? Please send me a private message here with the store details and any employee's names that you know so I can share your feedback with their area management and we can ensure it gets addressed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 6 (980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2013 6:48:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Dmitriy,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your question, no, I didn't receive a copy of the Service Summary, all I got were the receipts for the phones. But the manager I spoke to on the phone said she would be filing a report about the incident, so I am guessing that is the same as you filing it?

However, I am not intending to make anyone's life difficult, I am $120 short anyway.I just feel you guys should be upfront about different charges, so customers can make an informed decision.

Thanks,

Ivy

4 of 6 (934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 2:24:44 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello Ivy,

Thank you for replying to me. I was going to talk to a store manager about this issue, but sounds like you already did. You're absolutely right, we should be upfront about all charges, AT&T actually requires it's representatives to do exactly that, every time, so it's an important issue and we want to make sure it gets addressed. If there is anything else that I can do for you, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (898 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2013 10:14:12 PM
(0)
Guru

If I can add my 2 cents. I do not think it is AT&T dishonest practice, the store you went to did not follow procedure when upgrading phones, not all AT&T Corperate Stores do this. Maybe they were only concerned about making sales.Smiley Surprised But when I upgraded to my iPhone 5 at Corperate Store, I was told of the one time $36 upgrade fee. Even if upgrading in online store, it will show one time $36 upgrade fee.

6 of 6 (884 Views)