Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Feb 17, 2014
9:48:11 AM
View profile
Disconnected service & billing for services not received

Quick question for the group.  How should I proceed?  Called AT&T on Jan 2 to arrange for cancellation of service on 31 Jan (pending move).  Was confirmed by customer service associate, and then one minute later phone, cable, internet went dead.  Spent three days of phone nightmare trying to get service turned back on until Jan 31.  Re-confirmed shut-off date of Jan 31.  Turned in our equipment.  Just got new bill in mail.  Charged for turning service back on.  Charged for the Jan service even though we've already paid for it.  Charged already for Feb service even though we no longer live there.  Sent private message couple days back, and at 12:42 PM on a Monday, the message status is still "unread."

My only option at this point is to file complaints with the consumer protection departments of the Dallas, TX Attorney General's office and the FTC.  Any other suggestions for cracking the armour of AT&T "customer support."

Quick question for the group.  How should I proceed?  Called AT&T on Jan 2 to arrange for cancellation of service on 31 Jan (pending move).  Was confirmed by customer service associate, and then one minute later phone, cable, internet went dead.  Spent three days of phone nightmare trying to get service turned back on until Jan 31.  Re-confirmed shut-off date of Jan 31.  Turned in our equipment.  Just got new bill in mail.  Charged for turning service back on.  Charged for the Jan service even though we've already paid for it.  Charged already for Feb service even though we no longer live there.  Sent private message couple days back, and at 12:42 PM on a Monday, the message status is still "unread."

My only option at this point is to file complaints with the consumer protection departments of the Dallas, TX Attorney General's office and the FTC.  Any other suggestions for cracking the armour of AT&T "customer support."

Disconnected service & billing for services not received

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 12:19:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Feb 17, 2014 at 12:20:06 PM

It will usually take up to 48 hours to receive a message (PM) back from ATTCustomerCare (not including weekends or holiday's).  I'm not sure if they are open today (holiday?)

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

It will usually take up to 48 hours to receive a message (PM) back from ATTCustomerCare (not including weekends or holiday's).  I'm not sure if they are open today (holiday?)

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Disconnected service & billing for services not received

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2014 4:37:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yesterday I was able to  get a very helpful individual on the phone.  I'm being told that the bill was something sent out before our account was completely discontinued, and that I should get a finalized bill within the next few weeks which should take off the new charges.  This person gave me her name and personal e-mail and asked me to contact her directly if I do not receive the finalized bill, or if I have any other concerns.  We'll see if the account truly is corrected, but so far this is the best interaction I've had with the company yet.  Someone willing to own the problem.  Finally.  By the way...still no response on the PM.  Still listed as "not yet read" by AT&T.

I'll hold for right now on the AG/FTC complaint.  However, if need be that seems the way to go.  I hear people talk about the Better Business Bureau, but AG (particularly local to the offending company) and FTC have more teeth.  Both organizations have dedicated consumer protection sections, and FTC even states that in some cases they will file suit on behalf of the consumer.  Links below.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/consumer/index.shtml

http://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-consumer-protection

Yesterday I was able to  get a very helpful individual on the phone.  I'm being told that the bill was something sent out before our account was completely discontinued, and that I should get a finalized bill within the next few weeks which should take off the new charges.  This person gave me her name and personal e-mail and asked me to contact her directly if I do not receive the finalized bill, or if I have any other concerns.  We'll see if the account truly is corrected, but so far this is the best interaction I've had with the company yet.  Someone willing to own the problem.  Finally.  By the way...still no response on the PM.  Still listed as "not yet read" by AT&T.

I'll hold for right now on the AG/FTC complaint.  However, if need be that seems the way to go.  I hear people talk about the Better Business Bureau, but AG (particularly local to the offending company) and FTC have more teeth.  Both organizations have dedicated consumer protection sections, and FTC even states that in some cases they will file suit on behalf of the consumer.  Links below.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/consumer/index.shtml

http://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-consumer-protection

Re: Disconnected service & billing for services not received

3 of 3 (295 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments