Disappointed Support Experience: U-Verse Support and ATT Connect Support (Port forwarding TCP/443

Voyager

Disappointed Support Experience: U-Verse Support and ATT Connect Support (Port forwarding TCP/443

First my setup of the ATT Equipment:

ATT (2-Wire)U-Verse modem with Cisco_AP_ATT connected to it.  ATT U-Verse Wireless TV Reciever connects to the Cisco_AP_ATT device.

Additional Equipment.

Cisco ASA Firewall connected to ATT (2Wire) U-Verse modem.

DMZplus mode used pointing to the Cisco ATT Firewall.

Goal

Being able to connect back to my house when I travel to upload pictures.  Having family connect to upload/download photos.  All over SSL VPN.  (Think easy of use for non technical people).  I want to use port TCP/443 and not some other port.

Now if the Wireless U-Verese reciever and the Cisco_AP_ATT Access Point is removed, I delete the port forward policy setup for them, it all works as I expect it to.  I can use TCP/443.  Adding the AP and Reciever back in, 48 hours until the port forward policy is placed back by ATT management tools.  My impression of time and what is placing it.

I called ATT Uverse support and ATT Connect.  I went round and round on this issue with both parities (I think about 6 hours total), about TCP/443 being port forward and coming back even if it is deleted.  ATT Connect left me with the impression that they (at their Level 3) could not do anything further to help me.  ATT Uverse support basically left me with an impression that they couldn't do anything further to help me

I was left with the overall impression that since this was a consumer account, there was not anything that could be done.

My request is basically that they use a different port for the AP management.  And why are they using it to manage the AP, and why is the AP even being manged?  (If I delete it, things still work.  It just comes back.)

Reason I'm disappointed, neither party was willing to escalate the issue further to see if the mangement tools would be changed (I'm not the only one with this issue).  ATT Connect said they can't do anything further.  ATT U-Verse said it was out of policy go to ATT Connect.

I ended up with both parties on the phone at the same time.  Never received a good answer.

connectToCiscoAP

Message 1 of 5 (448 Views)
Employee

Re: Disappointed Support Experience: U-Verse Support and ATT Connect Support (Port forwarding TCP/44

So based on info provided...options are
1) port 443 handles wifi receiver, replace wireless receiver with hardwired receiver, all good
2) desire to use wifi receiver with WAP, you need to use some other port.

Anything I missed?
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (433 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Disappointed Support Experience: U-Verse Support and ATT Connect Support (Port forwarding TCP/44

As you have found out, AT&T's management system reserved port 443 for remote management of the Wireless Access Point for the wireless STBs. If you remove the firewall entry for it, AT&T's management system will just put it back. This precludes using port 443 for your own use.

There are 3 solutions:

1. Use a different port. You said in your post that this wasn't an option.
2. Ditch the wireless STB and get a wired STB instead. You can either swap to a true wired STB and return the wireless STB and access point, or you can remove the wireless access point and run an Ethernet cable, and use the Ethernet port on the wireless STB that you have.
3. Purchase a block of static IP addresses for $15 per month. Port 443 is only reserved on the single static IP native to your connection -- port 443 will be available on the static IP addresses. Set up your router to use one of the statics.

Message 3 of 5 (417 Views)
Voyager

Why do they need to manage the WAP?  I have deleted that setting, and didn't have a problem.  It doesn't make any sense to manage the WAP.

Message 4 of 5 (343 Views)
Voyager

I ended up using a different port.  To me this is just ATT being difficult and customer unfriendly.

Message 5 of 5 (342 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.