Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 12, 2013
7:29:16 AM
View profile
Directv now offering no-charge upgrades?
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:12:52 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

carmar52607 wrote:

As of 2/1/2013 no upgrade fee or activation fee will be waived.Not worth asking since it is a mandatory charge.

What exactly do you mean by "mandatory" charge?  Are you insinuating that before 2/1/13 it was an optional charge?  If so, then I'm not so sure about that; if it was optional, then why would it have been automatically added to the bill by default (prior to 2/1/13)?

Just curious, given your "Not worth asking" comment...

before 2/1 you could call in and sometimes get the charge credited depending on various account status indicators, as of 2/1 the charge will not be credited back, so it is not worth asking anymore will just prompt vitrol laden posts about the customer service and customer loyalty of the carrier

a lot of service providers handle things like this - Directv is a great example, if you have been a long time customer and have not asked for special pricing or incentives very often it is posbible to get an additional dvr or upgrade to a new genie for no charge and no installation cost, other then that it costs you 199 for a regualr fvr and 399 for a genie, installation charges vary between 99 and 249.00 depending on what needs to be done.

Sorry for the off-topic reply on my part but since you mentioned it--is Directv now offering no-charge upgrades to the Genie (for existing customers)?  I ask because Directv would allow no-charge upgrades for many of their receiver models--except for the Genie, saying that it's because it's a just-released device; I've been able to have all of my DVRs upgraded to whatever the current-gen model was at the time since back when I was using an HR10-250 Directv Tivo model (without being required to extend my commitment for another 2 years, I might add), and would love to be able to upgrade one of my HR24 models to a Genie at no additional charge.

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

carmar52607 wrote:

As of 2/1/2013 no upgrade fee or activation fee will be waived.Not worth asking since it is a mandatory charge.

What exactly do you mean by "mandatory" charge?  Are you insinuating that before 2/1/13 it was an optional charge?  If so, then I'm not so sure about that; if it was optional, then why would it have been automatically added to the bill by default (prior to 2/1/13)?

before 2/1 you could call in and sometimes get the charge credited depending on various account status indicators, as of 2/1 the charge will not be credited back, so it is not worth asking anymore will just prompt vitrol laden posts about the customer service and customer loyalty of the carrier

a lot of service providers handle things like this - Directv is a great example, if you have been a long time customer and have not asked for special pricing or incentives very often it is posbible to get an additional dvr or upgrade to a new genie for no charge and no installation cost, other then that it costs you 199 for a regualr fvr and 399 for a genie, installation charges vary between 99 and 249.00 depending on what needs to be done.

Sorry for the off-topic reply on my part but since you mentioned it--is Directv now offering no-charge upgrades to the Genie (for existing customers)?  I ask because Directv would allow no-charge upgrades for many of their receiver models--except for the Genie, saying that it's because it's a just-released device; I've been able to have all of my DVRs upgraded to whatever the current-gen model was at the time since back when I was using an HR10-250 Directv Tivo model (without being required to extend my commitment for another 2 years, I might add), and would love to be able to upgrade one of my HR24 models to a Genie at no additional charge.

Directv now offering no-charge upgrades?

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 7:35:38 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:13:17 AM

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

carmar52607 wrote:

It depends on how long you have been a customer, your level of service and how many times you have called in to obtain discounts. Got mine for no charge for the unit or installation but did have a 2 year commitment, Directv pretty much no longer hands out upgrades with out the 2 year comminent. the 34 right now is 299.00 and no price has been set on the upcoming HR44. They are required to be SWM, if you have more then 8 tuners (the 34 has 5) you need to have SWM-16 - both of which will be installed.

Call and find out if the best bet

jane697 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jane697 wrote:

carmar52607 wrote:

It depends on how long you have been a customer, your level of service and how many times you have called in to obtain discounts. Got mine for no charge for the unit or installation but did have a 2 year commitment, Directv pretty much no longer hands out upgrades with out the 2 year comminent. the 34 right now is 299.00 and no price has been set on the upcoming HR44. They are required to be SWM, if you have more then 8 tuners (the 34 has 5) you need to have SWM-16 - both of which will be installed.

Call and find out if the best bet

Re: Directv now offering no-charge upgrades?

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 11:42:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

APPARENTLY someone is forgetting to mention the biggest dishonest portion to this no charge upgrade with directv and that is that they don't tell you that it automatically commits you to another two year contract from that date.  Then when you find out, you either pay to get out of Directv A TWO YEAR PENALTY or stuck with it.

APPARENTLY someone is forgetting to mention the biggest dishonest portion to this no charge upgrade with directv and that is that they don't tell you that it automatically commits you to another two year contract from that date.  Then when you find out, you either pay to get out of Directv A TWO YEAR PENALTY or stuck with it.

Re: Directv now offering no-charge upgrades?

3 of 3 (191 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments