Directions for connecting Wireless N router to RG

Scholar

Directions for connecting Wireless N router to RG

Hi - a while back, one of the board experts posted very specific instructions for connecting a Wireless "N" router to the RG so that the "N" router services the laptops, iPhones etc... in the house. I still need the RG to provide wired internet services to equipment that is in the same room and I'm also using the Internet "out" ports on each of the STB's.  Can someone post the link again.

Thanks!

-- Marc.

Message 1 of 5 (512 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Directions for connecting Wireless N router to RG

I think this is what you're looking for:

see post 13 in this thread if you want to use the router as an access point to spread wireless coverage, but not use any of its routing features.

see post 2 in this thread if you want to use the router as a router.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (505 Views)

U cant plug anything to the ethernet port on the stb!, its meant as an in not an out!it can fry the box and also cause internet issues i do not recommend. Modification of stbs is not permitted, and hooking up external router u have to change main ip and turn off dhcp to avoid ip conflict with rg

Message 3 of 5 (454 Views)
ACE - Expert

Many have successfully used the RJ45 ethernet port on the back of a coax-fed STB to provide an IP connection to the Internet. There are provisos, some caveats (but no quid pro quos Smiley Wink) but within reason it works.  I use it occasionally with the STB in my living room.  Is it supported by AT&T?  No.

You cannot hook a wireless access point or wirless router to it, and you shouldn't put anything there that consumes a lot of bandwidth, and I would think twice about using the DVR's Ethernet port.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5 (433 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

OK, I have some silly questions having attempted to follow these instructions.

1) If I connect LAN to LAN between my router and the 2-wire, how do I adjust the parameters on my router? It doesn't get an IP address.

2) Am I supposed to set the SSID on the router to the same SSID as on the 2-wire, or do I treat them as two completely different wireless networks? Treating them as two separate networks seems to work so far.

3) Can I use the wired Ethernet ports on my router for other devices?

4) What does this mean: Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router.  For example, if the 2Wire router is using 192.168.1.x, and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, set your router to 192.168.1.10.

Even if I could adjust parameters on my router, it doesn't appear to be receiving its own IP address, so how can I set it.

So confused... (and yet, the Wireless "N" is working).

Thanks!

======================================================================================

In that case, you do not want to follow these directions at all, since you do not need special routing functionality.  Instead, all you want is a wireless access point.

To do this, do the following:

1. Turn off DHCP on your router.

2. Change the link between the 2Wire router and your router to use the LAN ports on both ends.  (In other words, plug the cable from one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire to one of the LAN ports of your router.  Leave your router's WAN port empty).

3. Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router.  For example, if the 2Wire router is using 192.168.1.x, and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, set your router to 192.168.1.10.

4. If necessary, configure the wireless parameters on your router, such as SSID, encryption, pre-shared key, and MAC filtering.

Your wireless computers connected to your router will now be able to communicate with wired computers on the 2wire router since everything will be on the same subnet.

Message 5 of 5 (331 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.