Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Apr 8, 2014
4:24:35 AM
Different Remote Models

I have three black remotes, all model S10-S3.  The volume button on the most frequently used remote is failing, working only sporadically--other buttons work just fine.   So I called CS yesterday, who transferred me to TS, and they readily agreed to send a new remote at no charge.  I verified the model number twice, and was assured that they would send the S10-S3.  Of course, the order confirmation I received says they are sending the S10-S1.  This was the only information I could find on the different models--there are apparently 4 models of the standard remote available, but the differences between them are not apparent to me.

So my question, is whether they are interchangeable and the S1 will work just fine; or whether I need to get a replacement for the replacement.  Since I know full well the amazing knowledge represented in this forum, I am hoping for an answer that makes sense before I call TS back and perhaps complicate the issue even further.  Next level would be AT&T Customer Care.

Thanks for any input.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

I have three black remotes, all model S10-S3.  The volume button on the most frequently used remote is failing, working only sporadically--other buttons work just fine.   So I called CS yesterday, who transferred me to TS, and they readily agreed to send a new remote at no charge.  I verified the model number twice, and was assured that they would send the S10-S3.  Of course, the order confirmation I received says they are sending the S10-S1.  This was the only information I could find on the different models--there are apparently 4 models of the standard remote available, but the differences between them are not apparent to me.

So my question, is whether they are interchangeable and the S1 will work just fine; or whether I need to get a replacement for the replacement.  Since I know full well the amazing knowledge represented in this forum, I am hoping for an answer that makes sense before I call TS back and perhaps complicate the issue even further.  Next level would be AT&T Customer Care.

Thanks for any input.

Different Remote Models

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 4:34:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
docbombay - I could be wrong, but, I think att does not have any S1s available. If they actually send you one you can appeal for help from the community mgrs.

The only difference I see between the two remotes is that some people have had devices that were supported by an S1 would not work with an S3, See what happens when you program for an S1.

I would wait until I received the remote and programmed it before worrying about any difference between the two models.
docbombay - I could be wrong, but, I think att does not have any S1s available. If they actually send you one you can appeal for help from the community mgrs.

The only difference I see between the two remotes is that some people have had devices that were supported by an S1 would not work with an S3, See what happens when you program for an S1.

I would wait until I received the remote and programmed it before worrying about any difference between the two models.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Different Remote Models

2 of 7 (518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 4:37:14 AM
(0)
Guru

Makes sense--I guess I was just trying to be proactive, but I suppose I should see what's actually in the box before I worry.  It should arrive in another day or two, and I will actually try to program it and post the results.  Thanks much for the quick answer.

--Albert Einstein

Makes sense--I guess I was just trying to be proactive, but I suppose I should see what's actually in the box before I worry.  It should arrive in another day or two, and I will actually try to program it and post the results.  Thanks much for the quick answer.

3 of 7 (516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 1:32:53 PM
(0)
Guru

Well, I got the box and it didn't have an S1.  It didn't have an S3.  It DID have an S4.  But it took all of a minute or two to use the automatic remote setup (in the Help section of the Menu) and get it working.  So I guess the particular model numbers are at least somewhat interchangeable.

--Albert Einstein

Well, I got the box and it didn't have an S1.  It didn't have an S3.  It DID have an S4.  But it took all of a minute or two to use the automatic remote setup (in the Help section of the Menu) and get it working.  So I guess the particular model numbers are at least somewhat interchangeable.

4 of 7 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 1:59:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
docbombay - Thanks for reporting. Good to know. Can you see any physical difference when compared side-by-side. Any obscure programming difference would be discovered only if you happened to have that device.
docbombay - Thanks for reporting. Good to know. Can you see any physical difference when compared side-by-side. Any obscure programming difference would be discovered only if you happened to have that device.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 2:26:05 PM
(0)
Guru

No obvious physical differences (other than the fact that S10-S4 is printed on the bottom Smiley Happy).  And I doubt I'll encounter any obscure programming issues since I only intend to control the TV and DVR with the remote.  So all is well and your advice to wait for the actual item was the smart thing to do.  Thanks again.

--Albert Einstein

No obvious physical differences (other than the fact that S10-S4 is printed on the bottom Smiley Happy).  And I doubt I'll encounter any obscure programming issues since I only intend to control the TV and DVR with the remote.  So all is well and your advice to wait for the actual item was the smart thing to do.  Thanks again.

6 of 7 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 2:42:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
docbombay -YW - I really thought they only had newer ones (S3) now S4
docbombay -YW - I really thought they only had newer ones (S3) now S4

7 of 7 (455 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments