Delay in starting to play this program. Please wait.

Scholar

Delay in starting to play this program. Please wait.

This has been happening for some time now. I will attempt to play a recorded show and I see a black screen with a white heading (black text) that says "Delay in starting to play this program. Please wait.". I wait and sometimes the show will start to play, but most of the time it doesn't. If I switch to another show, MAYBE it will play, then going back to the first show, it works. Sometimes I have to play a live show, then going back works. Its trial and error, and getting old very quickly. 

I also have noticed that it can take a very long time to erase a show. If I try to do something while it is trying to erase something, it gives me a "Busy" message of some kind. It never did this when I first got the service. Is my DVR going bad? I am currently at 50% recording space.

Here is another weird thing. If I got to my other room and select the show, it plays it perfectly. Then going back to the DVR, the show plays right away without any "please wait" message.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of recordings, so calling AT&T and getting a replacement (this would by my 2nd DVR replacement), is not the best option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11 (9,493 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Delay in starting to play this program. Please wait.

I've only seen that delay message 1 time in more than 3 1/2 years on Uverse.  It may be the fact I reboot the DVR every 1 to 2 weeks, so I'd do a hard reboot by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds.

This will fix many DVR problems, let us know if it worked, good luck. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11 (9,486 Views)
Scholar

I get this error ALL THE TIME. Its gotten worse and worse over the past 6 months.

I've restarted may times, but never a "hard" reboot like you suggested. I will try this when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11 (9,482 Views)
Expert

Have you also rebooted the RG?

Message 4 of 11 (9,478 Views)
Scholar

Not really, but why would that matter? It it works on the STB, I would think that rebooting the RG wouldn't matter. My phone and internet work perfectly. It seems to be related to the DVR. But, I'm not expert...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 5 of 11 (9,472 Views)
Expert

Doing a hard reboot of the RG will cause the software to be redownloaded into the RG.  If you call TS the CSR will tell you to do that as well.  To do a hard reboot is to unplug the ac cable for 30 seconds and then reconnect it.

Message 6 of 11 (9,436 Views)
Contributor

Doesn't rebooting erase all your recordings?

Message 7 of 11 (8,269 Views)
Expert

No.  Only a disaster recovery will erase your recorded programs.

Message 8 of 11 (8,265 Views)
Tutor

Interesting,,, I have the same problem and am convinced is a SOFTWARE SHORTCOMING that has not been fixe.  In my case, the problem is in all units in the house, but of course related to the DVR recorded programs.  I get a blank, click back and forth the last channel button and then I get the recorded program. BUT, after rebooting locally various times, I called att the first time;  I have had two contact efforts to fix. The first time a network reboot was done from the att station and did not fix it.  It was decided that they would send me a new replacement DVR and of course the subsequent to reprogram all favorites and hiding almost a million unnecessary channels because the software does not provide for an initial hide all channels and then just add the needed ones.  The result, the problem went away for about two months and after having the signal lost one recent night, I suppose because of some att network maintenance, the blank screen selecting recordings reappeared.  Again the same local reset, followed by a network remote reset to no avail, followed by a technician visit scheduled.  Technician, very nice, came and after checking all installation and replacing the remote to assure it was not the remote, he concluded it was again the dvr in need of replacement. After the replacement and same bother to reprogram lost recordings etc. and moving the dvr location.  I FIN MYSELF TODAY WITH THE SAME PROBLEM.  no doubt it is another U-VERSE dvr software shortcoming.  Had DIRECTV dvr various versions and never had a problem.  The connection has nothing to do with it, because live channels come on inmediately as well as the internet to the computer.  GOOD LUCK

Message 9 of 11 (5,008 Views)
Expert

FYI, if your install is coax, check and make sure the connections on your devices are tight.  I have seen this issue when the coax connectors are loose on my STBs.

Message 10 of 11 (4,990 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks RCSMG.  I always forget the advice I give my kids when troubleshooting electronics problems: First check the batteries or power supply.  Second, reboot.  Third check the cables.  That solves 95% of problems in my experience.

I was experiencing the "Delay in start" and then could not get Live TV, but could navigate menus sort of.  Reboot did not help but then I read your comment about cables and thought I better check. Surprise! My coax was slightly loose--apparently tight enough to give some signal so I could navigate but not enough so I was getting some errors.  Its one of those slip on coaxes and must have gotten pulled out a bit when I was dusting.  It's such an easy thing to overlook because all was fine yesterday. 

Glad you reminded me of the obvious and it was an easy fix. :-)

Message 11 of 11 (4,740 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.