Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 23, 2012
3:21:05 AM
Deceptive practices

I just signed up  for U Verse internet after a representative lied to me about switching from DSL to U Verse for free and paying the same monthly fee. This is a lie, the swith is not free, I was charged for the equipment and connection fee even though I asked especifically if there were going to be any equipment and setup charges and I was told that everything was going to be free. I call AT&T almost everyday and every time I get a different story. Nobody is able to solve anything, all I get are lies and more lies. I have nothing in writing except for my bill which is 4 times what I was supposed to pay. I ahve been AT&T customer for a really long time and I don't understand why they are allowed to continue with all these deceptive and bullying practices.

I just signed up  for U Verse internet after a representative lied to me about switching from DSL to U Verse for free and paying the same monthly fee. This is a lie, the swith is not free, I was charged for the equipment and connection fee even though I asked especifically if there were going to be any equipment and setup charges and I was told that everything was going to be free. I call AT&T almost everyday and every time I get a different story. Nobody is able to solve anything, all I get are lies and more lies. I have nothing in writing except for my bill which is 4 times what I was supposed to pay. I ahve been AT&T customer for a really long time and I don't understand why they are allowed to continue with all these deceptive and bullying practices.

Deceptive practices

16 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2012 5:35:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

Send a PM to Alex who is an AT&T Community Manager on this forum.

Also, check the settings on your account to make sure that you will receive email notification when a PM is received on this forum.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Deceptive practices

2 of 17 (3,224 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2012 6:13:09 AM
(0)
Mentor
if you have a home phone you qualify for a rebate on your cost of equipment. if you were charged activation fee (36$) then the agent made a mistake and did not remove it (it's included by default)

lies lies lies doesn't seem to solve your issue. if you have a home phone then your equipment is rebated, so in effect it /is/ free, just fill out the appropriate forms.

you were misinformed, but it doesn't sound intentional as the rules and instructions are very easy to misunderstand for agents and customers alike.

the problem should be a simple solution resolvable by at&t U-Verse Billing. no one else will touch this with a 10 foot pole- or can for that matter.
if you have a home phone you qualify for a rebate on your cost of equipment. if you were charged activation fee (36$) then the agent made a mistake and did not remove it (it's included by default)

lies lies lies doesn't seem to solve your issue. if you have a home phone then your equipment is rebated, so in effect it /is/ free, just fill out the appropriate forms.

you were misinformed, but it doesn't sound intentional as the rules and instructions are very easy to misunderstand for agents and customers alike.

the problem should be a simple solution resolvable by at&t U-Verse Billing. no one else will touch this with a 10 foot pole- or can for that matter.

3 of 17 (3,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 5:09:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Nothing seems to solve my problem. Unfortunately I cannot say that this is a misunderstanding, I have been forced to believe that this is intentional and employees are trained to hide stuff from you when you call and to steer you in a certain direction unless you are firm. I'm going to start recording my calls to AT&T from now on, maybe they will stop lying and give me all the information. Every time I call I get a different story. Every time I call I find out something new about my service. I just found out that I was moved to a different plan now and put under a 1-year contract woithout my consent. Is this even legal? I called, customer service and after 2 hours being transferred to different persons and explaining to each one the problem the extra fee of $100 for who knows what, was waived, only to re-appear on the next bill. Right nw I expect anything from AT&T.

Nothing seems to solve my problem. Unfortunately I cannot say that this is a misunderstanding, I have been forced to believe that this is intentional and employees are trained to hide stuff from you when you call and to steer you in a certain direction unless you are firm. I'm going to start recording my calls to AT&T from now on, maybe they will stop lying and give me all the information. Every time I call I get a different story. Every time I call I find out something new about my service. I just found out that I was moved to a different plan now and put under a 1-year contract woithout my consent. Is this even legal? I called, customer service and after 2 hours being transferred to different persons and explaining to each one the problem the extra fee of $100 for who knows what, was waived, only to re-appear on the next bill. Right nw I expect anything from AT&T.

4 of 17 (2,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 7:15:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

laeunam12 wrote:

Did you contact Alex as was suggested above?

laeunam12 wrote:

Did you contact Alex as was suggested above?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 17 (2,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2012 8:29:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

I did, today, I had not been able to come back here, but I saw it today and sent him a private message earlier today. No reply, yet. I hope he can do something.

Thanks, this is very frustrating

I did, today, I had not been able to come back here, but I saw it today and sent him a private message earlier today. No reply, yet. I hope he can do something.

Thanks, this is very frustrating

6 of 17 (2,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 12:32:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Alex will contact you through a PM so keep watch of the blue envelope at the upper right hand side of forum page.  Let us know what happens.

Alex will contact you through a PM so keep watch of the blue envelope at the upper right hand side of forum page.  Let us know what happens.

7 of 17 (2,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2012 4:26:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

You are not alone in this matter.  I am a former employee and I have been in customer service for several years so I'm familiar with listening and fact-finding about fees.  I agree the contract was not addressed when the offer to switch to U-verse to help with my savings (initial reason for my call).  It was divulged after I inquired about it.  The rep had no intent to tell me about it and told me there was not one at first.  Next, the one time charges were not discussed in any manner.  I asked for the call to be pulled so that could be verfied.  I would have stayed with my existing service and simply dropped down to a basic phone line had I known I would have to endure this frustration.  Please post if you are successful.

You are not alone in this matter.  I am a former employee and I have been in customer service for several years so I'm familiar with listening and fact-finding about fees.  I agree the contract was not addressed when the offer to switch to U-verse to help with my savings (initial reason for my call).  It was divulged after I inquired about it.  The rep had no intent to tell me about it and told me there was not one at first.  Next, the one time charges were not discussed in any manner.  I asked for the call to be pulled so that could be verfied.  I would have stayed with my existing service and simply dropped down to a basic phone line had I known I would have to endure this frustration.  Please post if you are successful.

8 of 17 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 12:02:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

I contacted Alex and gave him my acct. # and my phone # and somebody contacted me from AT&T and apologized for all the frustrations  and the inconveniences and gave me a credit for all the extra charges. So, honor to whom honor is due... it was a painful process, this whole thing shouldn't have happened in the first place, but now the problem is solved. The manager that helped me was very corteus and helpful. 

Thanks to all who helped me

I contacted Alex and gave him my acct. # and my phone # and somebody contacted me from AT&T and apologized for all the frustrations  and the inconveniences and gave me a credit for all the extra charges. So, honor to whom honor is due... it was a painful process, this whole thing shouldn't have happened in the first place, but now the problem is solved. The manager that helped me was very corteus and helpful. 

Thanks to all who helped me

9 of 17 (2,827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2012 4:23:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for letting us know that things got worked out.

Thanks for letting us know that things got worked out.

10 of 17 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 9:36:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same thing!  I had asked for help in reducing my bill.  They talked me into UVerse, saying it will be cheaper than the DSL and there were no added charges for equipment or installation.  My next bill was $399!  I almost died.

The service man had never turned my Uverse on, but managed to disconnect a neighbor's landline...2 doors away.  This elderly lady had no phone for 3 days.

Then another service person came and Drilled a HOLE in the side of my house to put the wires in.  Yes, you can see the sky outside.  This was in late May.  It's now August 25, a hurricane is near, and I have no cap on it still..open to the elements and bugs.

I have called over 100 times asking for help.  Nothing.

OH!  They also told me my 1.5 year old Kodak printer is not compatible with UVerse.  I cannot use my printer.  Or my other laptop.

I asked how that could be, and what printers are preferred.  The tech said, "we never know until we try it, there is no list."

I suppose we should just keep buying printers, hoping one might work. 

I complained and was turned over to a Risk Management in Texas, who called while I was driving, and because I did not have my new 9-digit account number memorized!?!  she said she would close the case!!

I was eventually given secret access code numbers for "Executive Escalations" from the President's office, with secret extension lines.  Supposedly they were the top people.

For weeks, they told me this would all be handled, including removal of charges on my bill.

Did I say....You need special access codes to find them?

But they haven't returned a call for over a month now, despite my dozens of pleas on voice messages.

**There is also a Tier 2 repair that has secret codes that expire every week!

This does not sound like a company that wants to hear from customers, to actually help with anything.

I need help from 3 different areas:  Billing, Outside Tech, Interior Tech.

But I cannot get any help at all.

What a disgrace.

I had the same thing!  I had asked for help in reducing my bill.  They talked me into UVerse, saying it will be cheaper than the DSL and there were no added charges for equipment or installation.  My next bill was $399!  I almost died.

The service man had never turned my Uverse on, but managed to disconnect a neighbor's landline...2 doors away.  This elderly lady had no phone for 3 days.

Then another service person came and Drilled a HOLE in the side of my house to put the wires in.  Yes, you can see the sky outside.  This was in late May.  It's now August 25, a hurricane is near, and I have no cap on it still..open to the elements and bugs.

OH!  They also told me my 1.5 year old Kodak printer is not compatible with UVerse.  I cannot use my printer.  Or my other laptop.

I asked how that could be, and what printers are preferred.  The tech said, "we never know until we try it, there is no list."

I complained and was turned over to a Risk Management in Texas, who called while I was driving, and because I did not have my new 9-digit account number memorized!?!  she said she would close the case!!

I was eventually given secret access code numbers for "Executive Escalations" from the President's office, with secret extension lines.  Supposedly they were the top people.

For weeks, they told me this would all be handled, including removal of charges on my bill.

But they haven't returned a call for over a month now, despite my dozens of pleas on voice messages.

This does not sound like a company that wants to hear from customers, to actually help with anything.

What a disgrace.

11 of 17 (2,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2012 10:55:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

babzvalo wrote:

What a disgrace.

Send Alex a PM he is an AT&T Community Manager on the forum.  He will get you to the right person/dept. to get your issues resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

babzvalo wrote:

What a disgrace.

Send Alex a PM he is an AT&T Community Manager on the forum.  He will get you to the right person/dept. to get your issues resolved.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

12 of 17 (2,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2012 6:10:54 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for the post. We are going to have someone review this inquiry. Regards, Robert on behalf of Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hello,

Thank you for the post. We are going to have someone review this inquiry. Regards, Robert on behalf of Alex

--------------
Rethink Possible
Private Message (ATTCustomerCare for account specific help)

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Keep in mind; I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 17 (2,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2013 5:43:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too was deceived.  I called in because I had voicemail from AOL and got rid of it.  My landline was on a forward to it so if I did not pick up within so many rings, it would say that the number had been disconnected or no longer in service.  So when I called AT&T to fix it - the rep there suggested that she could save me money by going to UVerse.  The sales person NEVER told me that there would be $100 charge for the new piece of equipment and a $99 installation fee.  If she had, I would have kept what I had for right now.  So now my bill is $276.99 which $199 of it is fees that I was not told about.  I called and am suppose to get a call back today from the sales department.  They are suppose to review the phone call.  I sure hope so because calling into their number and getting to talk to someone takes forever.  I am ready to just get rid of anything with AT&T. 

I too was deceived.  I called in because I had voicemail from AOL and got rid of it.  My landline was on a forward to it so if I did not pick up within so many rings, it would say that the number had been disconnected or no longer in service.  So when I called AT&T to fix it - the rep there suggested that she could save me money by going to UVerse.  The sales person NEVER told me that there would be $100 charge for the new piece of equipment and a $99 installation fee.  If she had, I would have kept what I had for right now.  So now my bill is $276.99 which $199 of it is fees that I was not told about.  I called and am suppose to get a call back today from the sales department.  They are suppose to review the phone call.  I sure hope so because calling into their number and getting to talk to someone takes forever.  I am ready to just get rid of anything with AT&T. 

14 of 17 (1,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2013 11:19:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Contact ATT Customer Care here:
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Send them a private message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your problems. They are available M-F 8am-11pm EST. This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contact ATT Customer Care here:
http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Send them a private message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your problems. They are available M-F 8am-11pm EST. This is not the regular CS/TS people, but the social media people that know the people to contact to get things done.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right, in case they replied this way. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

15 of 17 (1,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 9:08:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me and my internet speed was cut from 6 MBPS to 1.5, and they won't allow me to switch back.  I've also been with AT&T for 10+ years (home phone, cell phone, internet).  I asked all the questions including"Are you sure it will only cost $34.99 for the Uverse, local and long distance package and nothing else will change including my internet speed?".  I was told "absolutely".

Same thing happened to me and my internet speed was cut from 6 MBPS to 1.5, and they won't allow me to switch back.  I've also been with AT&T for 10+ years (home phone, cell phone, internet).  I asked all the questions including"Are you sure it will only cost $34.99 for the Uverse, local and long distance package and nothing else will change including my internet speed?".  I was told "absolutely".

16 of 17 (1,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 10:25:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:56:30 PM

After several calls and several hours I finally got to someone who did more than constantly apologize and ask if there was anything else they could do, after they actually did nothing for me.  I was obviously deceived by the ATT&T representative about U-Verse as were the rest of you on this discussion.  

They guy I got hold of today was Ed (they don't use last names) who worked diligently and connected me to Chris in Customer Loyalty.  Chris was able to eliminate the $186 one time U-Verse hook up fee and replace it with a $33 first month charge followed by six months at $20.50 for 3 MBPS which is still half the speed of my previous 6 MBPS DSL.  She was actually able to reconnect me to DSL but only at 3 MBPS so I decided to stay with U-Verse (upgraded to 3 MBPS) because that is where AT&T's focus is and any improvement in speed will most likely occur with U-Verse.  Of course it makes no sense that two weeks ago I had DSL at 6 MBPS and today they can only offer 3 MBPS but I don't have any more time to waste on this.  

The amount of time it takes to get anything done through AT&T is a tool that they use to screw their customers which is of course a decision that top management makes and the people on the phone are forced to follow.  And I say this not as someone who is anti-management as I am a retired CEO of a farily large company.  It is clear that AT&T management is misleading their customers on purpose.  

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines] by ripping off millions of customers each month, most of which don't have time to scrutinize their bill and call them with questions.  

Of course the real question is:  "Why doesn't AT&T management just operate with honesty and integrity?"  And why would they think anyone would be happy to pay an additional $186 to cut their internet speed by 75%.

I would like to thank Ed  and Chris in Customer Loyalty for being the first people at AT&T to actually do more than apologize.

After several calls and several hours I finally got to someone who did more than constantly apologize and ask if there was anything else they could do, after they actually did nothing for me.  I was obviously deceived by the ATT&T representative about U-Verse as were the rest of you on this discussion.  

They guy I got hold of today was Ed (they don't use last names) who worked diligently and connected me to Chris in Customer Loyalty.  Chris was able to eliminate the $186 one time U-Verse hook up fee and replace it with a $33 first month charge followed by six months at $20.50 for 3 MBPS which is still half the speed of my previous 6 MBPS DSL.  She was actually able to reconnect me to DSL but only at 3 MBPS so I decided to stay with U-Verse (upgraded to 3 MBPS) because that is where AT&T's focus is and any improvement in speed will most likely occur with U-Verse.  Of course it makes no sense that two weeks ago I had DSL at 6 MBPS and today they can only offer 3 MBPS but I don't have any more time to waste on this.  

The amount of time it takes to get anything done through AT&T is a tool that they use to screw their customers which is of course a decision that top management makes and the people on the phone are forced to follow.  And I say this not as someone who is anti-management as I am a retired CEO of a farily large company.  It is clear that AT&T management is misleading their customers on purpose.  

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines] by ripping off millions of customers each month, most of which don't have time to scrutinize their bill and call them with questions.  

Of course the real question is:  "Why doesn't AT&T management just operate with honesty and integrity?"  And why would they think anyone would be happy to pay an additional $186 to cut their internet speed by 75%.

I would like to thank Ed  and Chris in Customer Loyalty for being the first people at AT&T to actually do more than apologize.

[ Edited ]
17 of 17 (1,110 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments