U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 19, 2013
5:49:14 PM
View profile
Data cable or phone cable

I just received my Gateway. It is a 3600HGV. The data cable provided is too short.

1. Will my phone cable work until I buy a longer cable?

2. What do I need to buy?

Thanks!

I just received my Gateway. It is a 3600HGV. The data cable provided is too short.

1. Will my phone cable work until I buy a longer cable?

2. What do I need to buy?

Thanks!

Data cable or phone cable

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:06:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You need a twisted pair cable with RJ11 ends.  It's a mite difficult to find in your average store.  Normal phone cord with RJ11 ends is typically not twisted pair.  Normal twisted pair cable has RJ45 ends.

You need a twisted pair cable with RJ11 ends.  It's a mite difficult to find in your average store.  Normal phone cord with RJ11 ends is typically not twisted pair.  Normal twisted pair cable has RJ45 ends.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data cable or phone cable

2 of 8 (1,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:30:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by cbm76 on Jul 19, 2013 at 6:36:12 PM

Disregard this post and see the next one.

Disregard this post and see the next one.

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (1,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:35:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm confused. Is a telephone cable not RJ11? The normal phone line is not CAT5 though, right? What's the difference and why wouldn't it work?

Thanks for the help!

I'm confused. Is a telephone cable not RJ11? The normal phone line is not CAT5 though, right? What's the difference and why wouldn't it work?

Thanks for the help!

4 of 8 (1,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2013 6:49:25 PM
(0)
Employee
Yes you can use a normal phone cord as a temporary line, the green data cable is 15 feet, and you need more?
The wireless connection should work OK for most applications.
Hardwired for PC may be easier to use green data cable and purchase 25 or 50 foot Ethernet cable between RG and PC (game console)

Yes you can use a normal phone cord as a temporary line, the green data cable is 15 feet, and you need more?
The wireless connection should work OK for most applications.
Hardwired for PC may be easier to use green data cable and purchase 25 or 50 foot Ethernet cable between RG and PC (game console)

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 8 (1,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 3:38:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I am a bit more than 15 ft. from the outlet. It's just the way things are situated in the room.

So if I understand correctly I can use the phone cable in the short term but I need to either get a longer CAT5 cable with RJ11 ends OR a longer ethernet cable. Correct?

What's the difference between the CAT5 data cable and the phone cable?

Thanks!

Yes, I am a bit more than 15 ft. from the outlet. It's just the way things are situated in the room.

So if I understand correctly I can use the phone cable in the short term but I need to either get a longer CAT5 cable with RJ11 ends OR a longer ethernet cable. Correct?

Thanks!

6 of 8 (1,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 6:16:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

A typical Cat5/5e or Cat 6 data cable will have RJ45 ends and 4 twisted pairs of wires between them.  A typical phone cord will have RJ11 ends and the four wires (i.e. two pair) will either not be twisted at all, or be twisted at a lower rate than Cat 5 (normally Cat 3), it's normally flat with the conductors side-by-side.

The cable you want long term should have RJ11 ends with at least one twisted pair, preferably at the Category 5 rate or better.  This is what the green cable is.

A typical Cat5/5e or Cat 6 data cable will have RJ45 ends and 4 twisted pairs of wires between them.  A typical phone cord will have RJ11 ends and the four wires (i.e. two pair) will either not be twisted at all, or be twisted at a lower rate than Cat 5 (normally Cat 3), it's normally flat with the conductors side-by-side.

The cable you want long term should have RJ11 ends with at least one twisted pair, preferably at the Category 5 rate or better.  This is what the green cable is.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (1,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 1:46:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

cbm76 wrote:

Thanks!

If you don't have any problems, don't worry about it, others have posted the same and it's worked for them too.

Could put the 3600 back where the green cable works and use a cat5e patch cable to your computer (assuming). :smileysurprised:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

cbm76 wrote:

Thanks!

If you don't have any problems, don't worry about it, others have posted the same and it's worked for them too.

Could put the 3600 back where the green cable works and use a cat5e patch cable to your computer (assuming). :smileysurprised:

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

8 of 8 (1,807 Views)