Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

Expert

Re: Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

Your results May Vary.
Message 16 of 68 (2,384 Views)

and, on some days, as expected, the picture is better or worse than others...Hopefully, everyone can find a way to make their pictures on their sets look good so that they are happy with their service..if not, the great thing about Uverse is there is no long term commitment, or early termination fee..
Message 17 of 68 (2,384 Views)

RCSMG wrote:
Your results May Vary.

Results usually vary from one type/brand of TV to another. Im sure it will just takes some calibrations on the setting of the TV and STB to solve issue.
Message 18 of 68 (2,384 Views)
Expert

Message 19 of 68 (2,384 Views)
Guru

wase4711 wrote:

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ranging in size from 70 inches down to 23, from high end sony's, to cheapo Olivea, lcd, plasma, and sxrd and I am able to get a very enjoyable picture on every one of the televisions..it took some initial adjusting, coming from Comcrap and Dish, but I can honestly say that the pictures range from good to stunning, and of course, some channels are better than others.

I think thats great for you. I have 3 HDTVs ( 6 seems like a waste with Uverse due to the 2HD streams) and I have had two of these LCD's with previous providers (Charter, Direct TV) and I NEVER had the issues we are discussing right now on this thread. Are the pictures "enjoyable" with Uverse? Depends on your expectations. My expectations were high coming in and to be honest I was dissapointed just as a lot of others. But I digress. I am here because there are a lot of HD channels that other providers didnt have. I know I can leave at any time. I am a techie and I love the technology. I am giving it a chance, but I wont be dishonest just because I have the service and think its better than anything else out there. Guess I wont get any kudos for going against the grain :smileywink:
Message 20 of 68 (2,384 Views)

well, dont get me wrong; I am not a real "fanboy" of Uverse by any means,,,I get occasional freezeage, and some pixelation now and then, but, on the whole between the internet service, which is more consistant than any provider I have ever had, and the UVoice, which is crystal clear and has never had a glitch in the 6 months I have had it, I am pretty content with what Uverse has provided so far.

plenty of HD choices, deals and credits anytime I call and ask for something, and pretty hassle free Tier2 support so far.

I save about 45 bucks per month over my previous Comcrap/Dish network/SBC phone line combo, so what's not to like? 

And, yes, having 6 tv's in the house is overkill, and there are usually never more than 3 on at any given time... But I can't help my self, as I am addicted to gadgets, and all things Hi-tech..

Message 21 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Guru

gotcha. I agree with your reasons for sticking with U-Verse. It does has it advantages when you look at everything instead of just the HD.
Message 22 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Teacher

oh thank goodness. I thought it was me. I just saw another thread that elluded to this 'darkness' problem. I just swiched from Directv where I really enjoyed the PQ. There are indeed some PQ problems that I can overlook and even the DVR user expirience and functionality gaffs I can ignore but this 'red tint' /dark thing might be the straw. Yes , I have wrestled with all my tv's settings . I have both plasma and LCD and no doubt this is an ATT problem. Sigh. I really like the total DVR concept. Maybe I jmped in too early.
Message 23 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Mentor

Thanks SomeJoe7777.  Your post is very helpful.  My TV (Mitsubishi WD-52627) doesn't have a setting for changing the RGB range, so I tried the switch to component, and now the TV picture quality has improved a lot.  The extremely dark blacks and red tinting have seemed to gone away.  Of course, the soft HD picture (at least compared to Comcast) is still there, but I think the overall level of service (selection of HD channels, far superior quality of SD, and better pricing) makes U-verse more worthwhile than Comcast.

To those who don't have the RGB range setting on their TV set (refer to SomeJoe777's post), try the following:

1) Connect your U-verse STB via HDMI and component to your TV.

2) Set the same "normal" video settings on each connection.  By "normal", I mean the levels of brightness, contrast, temperature, etc. that you would expect to deliver close to the picture you want.

3) Pick a video stream and pause the playback.

4) Switch back and forth between HDMI and component and take notice of the difference in picture.  You'll notice that component is superior.

I look forward to further calibration of the picture after using HDNet test pattern that comes on this Saturday morning.

Message 24 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Expert

KingsFan6 wrote:

Thanks SomeJoe7777.  Your post is very helpful.  My TV (Mitsubishi WD-52627) doesn't have a setting for changing the RGB range, so I tried the switch to component, and now the TV picture quality has improved a lot.  The extremely dark blacks and red tinting have seemed to gone away.  Of course, the soft HD picture (at least compared to Comcast) is still there, but I think the overall level of service (selection of HD channels, far superior quality of SD, and better pricing) makes U-verse more worthwhile than Comcast.

To those who don't have the RGB range setting on their TV set (refer to SomeJoe777's post), try the following:

1) Connect your U-verse STB via HDMI and component to your TV.

2) Set the same "normal" video settings on each connection.  By "normal", I mean the levels of brightness, contrast, temperature, etc. that you would expect to deliver close to the picture you want.

3) Pick a video stream and pause the playback.

4) Switch back and forth between HDMI and component and take notice of the difference in picture.  You'll notice that component is superior.

I look forward to further calibration of the picture after using HDNet test pattern that comes on this Saturday morning.

Most welcome. :smileyhappy:

A lot of people are reluctant to switch to component because the high-tech Wow factor of HDMI won't be there.  The thing is that while HDMI is capable of a pristine picture and is all-digital, that really only matters if the picture source is pristine to begin with.  For Blu-Ray, you have a very good argument to use HDMI.  But for U-Verse (or any cable or satellite HD provider), where the picture has been ruthlessly compressed and contains artifacts, HDMI doesn't help you.  Component connections will be nearly indistiguishable from HDMI under that condition, and in some cases may be preferable.  Component tends to soften the picture just a little bit, and that softness acts as a built-in filter for the compression artifacts, resulting in a more pleasing picture.

The only other reasons to use HDMI would be to carry progressive-scan picture modes like 1080p/24 (which U-Verse doesn't have), or to carry multichannel high bit rate audio (U-Verse doesn't have that either).  So you have virtually no reason to want to use HDMI other than "hey Ma, look at my all-digital connection".

Combine this with HDMI's flakiness for HDCP negotiation, poor quality cables and connectors, and incompatibilities between different versions/manufacturers/specs, and component keeps looking better and better. :smileyhappy:

Message 25 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Man that Planet Earth series has some extreme problems.  U-verse can handle some scenes beautifully, but for some it really poops out.  There was a scene with thousands of white birds that looked great but when they zoomed in so that flapping birds filled the screen it turned to like 1 inch squares.  Reminded me of the olympic swimming when the whole pool got churning it just turned into youtube.  Not to mention the stuttering backgrounds...  I think U-verse definitely takes the prize for widest range of picture quality if everything stays still enough and is in focus you can nearly see the sweat evaporate from their pores.
Message 26 of 68 (2,372 Views)

for me, I prefer HDMI for one reason;

One cable connectivity..

only my cheapo Olevia lcd has a problem with the "handshake" now and then, and, all I have to do is go into the settings, and run a test, and it fixes itself..

Not a big deal, ladies and gentlemen..

and yes, it is amazing how one second the picture is stunning and marvelous, and the a minute later it can look like Utube..

When we live on the "bleeding  edge", we are going to bleed sometimes... 

Message 27 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Mentor

wase4711 wrote:

for me, I prefer HDMI for one reason;

One cable connectivity..

only my cheapo Olevia lcd has a problem with the "handshake" now and then, and, all I have to do is go into the settings, and run a test, and it fixes itself..

Not a big deal, ladies and gentlemen..

and yes, it is amazing how one second the picture is stunning and marvelous, and the a minute later it can look like Utube..

When we live on the "bleeding  edge", we are going to bleed sometimes... 

a agree with the 1 cable connection 100% that was the idea, but you cant get 5.1 audio out of uverse with it sooooo you will still have another cable back there

Message 28 of 68 (2,372 Views)

good point; on my "home theater" tv, I do have a optical digital cable connected to my amp/speakers..

my other TV's I just use the internal speakers, so 5.1 isn't an option.. 

Message 29 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Scholar

I know the uverse doesn't output dolby 5.1 over HDMI, neither does the Playstation 3.  What the PS3 does do is output LCPM 7.1 channel over HDMI.  Does Uverse support this as well.  Basically it's sending the raw sound outpout over HDMI instead of the compressed Dolby.  Not all receivers can support this.  My Harmon Kardon can.

Also note alot of TVs that can accept 5.1 in through HDMI will not output 5.1 through their audio outs.  Makes it pretty pointless but this may be the case as well.

When I get uverse installed next Saturday I'll let people know what I find.

Message 30 of 68 (2,372 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.