U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 26, 2009
4:02:29 PM
Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

I recently switched to U-verse and noticed immediately an overall darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast, given the same video settings and same HDMI connection.  Some video settings (like brightness and/or contrast) would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get the optimal picture.  Does anyone else experience the same thing?

I recently switched to U-verse and noticed immediately an overall darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast, given the same video settings and same HDMI connection.  Some video settings (like brightness and/or contrast) would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get the optimal picture.  Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

67 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(67)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2009 4:34:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
check your setting on your tv .if its set in movie mode the picture will be alot darker
check your setting on your tv .if its set in movie mode the picture will be alot darker

Re: Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

2 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2009 4:44:22 PM
(0)
Mentor
I think that's beside the point.  My point is that given the same video settings on my TV (between Comcast and U-verse), the picture is significantly darker on U-verse.  My Mitsubishi has a Normal and Bright mode.  On either mode, settings would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get a similar picture level that I was getting on a Comcast signal.
I think that's beside the point.  My point is that given the same video settings on my TV (between Comcast and U-verse), the picture is significantly darker on U-verse.  My Mitsubishi has a Normal and Bright mode.  On either mode, settings would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get a similar picture level that I was getting on a Comcast signal.

3 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2009 5:02:56 PM
(0)
Expert

U-Verse HDMI has a quirk that can result in a dark picture on many TVs.  Some of those TVs can be adjusted to compensate.  On others, you will have to switch to component.

See How to use the HDNet Test Pattern to do a Basic Calibration for details.  The post regarding the HDMI settings is about 7 posts down.

U-Verse HDMI has a quirk that can result in a dark picture on many TVs.  Some of those TVs can be adjusted to compensate.  On others, you will have to switch to component.

See How to use the HDNet Test Pattern to do a Basic Calibration for details.  The post regarding the HDMI settings is about 7 posts down.

4 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 4:04:44 AM
(0)
Guru
then turn your brightness up...

5 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 4:24:09 AM
(0)
Professor

KingsFan6 wrote:

Same thing here I think it is normal, switch to component cables and all will be fine

KingsFan6 wrote:

Same thing here I think it is normal, switch to component cables and all will be fine

6 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 6:35:49 AM
(0)
Guru

wase4711 wrote:

Easier said than done

If you cant change the input from 16-235 to 0-255 on your tv, the only other option is to use component cables and calibrate your tv. This is an issue with Uverse.

wase4711 wrote:

Easier said than done

If you cant change the input from 16-235 to 0-255 on your tv, the only other option is to use component cables and calibrate your tv. This is an issue with Uverse.

7 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 8:09:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes you are correct.  The same thing is true not only with Comcast verses Uverse, but Dish verses Uverse

Yes you are correct.  The same thing is true not only with Comcast verses Uverse, but Dish verses Uverse

8 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 9:54:53 AM
(0)
Guru
I thought every TV had a brightness adjustment in its menu system...

9 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 10:04:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

Folks, this has been a day-1problem, meaning since day-1 when U-verse was launched. Some folks believe that by switching from HDMI to Component helps to rectify the problem, but I have switched from HDMI to component and it still is dark.

One of the more techie guys mght jump in here, but I believe the darkness problem is actually an issue with either the encoders or the encoding process, and in order to limit bandwith utilization, dark areas of the image show up more dark and less complex with the encoding scheme that is deployed. It's not hard to notice in movies in dark scenes that a lot of the detail in the dark areas is almost non-existent. For some reason, the encoding process at&t is using does not like dark scenes. I wish this is something they would fix.

And raising the brightness only introduces noise in the dark areas and too much brightness in the light ones...

Folks, this has been a day-1problem, meaning since day-1 when U-verse was launched. Some folks believe that by switching from HDMI to Component helps to rectify the problem, but I have switched from HDMI to component and it still is dark.

One of the more techie guys mght jump in here, but I believe the darkness problem is actually an issue with either the encoders or the encoding process, and in order to limit bandwith utilization, dark areas of the image show up more dark and less complex with the encoding scheme that is deployed. It's not hard to notice in movies in dark scenes that a lot of the detail in the dark areas is almost non-existent. For some reason, the encoding process at&t is using does not like dark scenes. I wish this is something they would fix.

And raising the brightness only introduces noise in the dark areas and too much brightness in the light ones...

10 of 68 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 10:39:15 AM
(0)
Guru

how about reducing the contrast /color/sharpness, so that noise isnt introduced into the picture..there must be a way of fixing that..

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ALL connected via HDMI, and don't have any problems the picture being too dark... 

how about reducing the contrast /color/sharpness, so that noise isnt introduced into the picture..there must be a way of fixing that..

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ALL connected via HDMI, and don't have any problems the picture being too dark... 

11 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 11:07:26 AM
(0)
Expert

themosh wrote:

The encoding process U-Verse is using has problems with detail in the dark areas, but that is a result of the relatively low bitrate.  There is no overall problem with brightness shifts as a result of the encoding process.

A perfect brightness/contrast calibration for U-Verse can be achieved by all TVs if you use component connections.  See my post I referenced above for specific instructions.

themosh wrote:

The encoding process U-Verse is using has problems with detail in the dark areas, but that is a result of the relatively low bitrate.  There is no overall problem with brightness shifts as a result of the encoding process.

A perfect brightness/contrast calibration for U-Verse can be achieved by all TVs if you use component connections.  See my post I referenced above for specific instructions.

12 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 11:33:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

themosh wrote:

I've solved it on my 42' Panasonic plasma by taking my 'Game' picture setting and bumping up the 'brightness' about 30 points (out of 100) higher than my 'Custom' setting that is great on non-dark scenes or programs, but I also raised the 'picture (contrast)' up 4-7 points and the 'color' up 12-15 points (I'm not afraid to change any of them during a program to get a better picture). 

The picture I get is almost exactly the same as the component 'Custom' setting adjusted by SomeJoe's HDNet adjustment (I can switch back and forth as I have both HDMI and component set up together and eliminates the dark background problem), but it's on HDMI and does not introduce noise in the dark area and is only too bright in extremely bright scenes.  I know on certain programs the 'Game' setting works great (Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI NY), other programs I switch to it from 'Custom' during the shows.  Of course to do this you need the TV and Uverse remote controls (which I'm more than happy to use both for a great pictue) or buy a Harmony remote. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 03-27-2009 02:41 PM

themosh wrote:

I've solved it on my 42' Panasonic plasma by taking my 'Game' picture setting and bumping up the 'brightness' about 30 points (out of 100) higher than my 'Custom' setting that is great on non-dark scenes or programs, but I also raised the 'picture (contrast)' up 4-7 points and the 'color' up 12-15 points (I'm not afraid to change any of them during a program to get a better picture). 

The picture I get is almost exactly the same as the component 'Custom' setting adjusted by SomeJoe's HDNet adjustment (I can switch back and forth as I have both HDMI and component set up together and eliminates the dark background problem), but it's on HDMI and does not introduce noise in the dark area and is only too bright in extremely bright scenes.  I know on certain programs the 'Game' setting works great (Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI NY), other programs I switch to it from 'Custom' during the shows.  Of course to do this you need the TV and Uverse remote controls (which I'm more than happy to use both for a great pictue) or buy a Harmony remote. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 03-27-2009 02:41 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 5:39:19 PM
(0)
Guru

wase4711 wrote:

Its not that simple on some hdtv's. The brightness level you are referring to is called different names on various sets. I have a SHARP and a SONY (both high end LCD's that have excellent black levels for LCD'swith other sources). The SONY handles Uverse reasonably well so I have never had issues with HDMI. With the SHARP, I could never get the black levels set correctly unless I put the tv in torch mode, thus causing the artifacts to be magnified and honestly it looked like crap.

Once I switched to component on the SHARP it really helped the crushed blacks and the red tones on the faces. After some research I discovered I could change the setting to fix the Uverse quirk in the SHARP service menu. I decided the component look fine although the picture is much softer. I did not want to screw around with the service menu.

Listen to SomeJoe  - he really knows what he is talking about.

wase4711 wrote:

Its not that simple on some hdtv's. The brightness level you are referring to is called different names on various sets. I have a SHARP and a SONY (both high end LCD's that have excellent black levels for LCD'swith other sources). The SONY handles Uverse reasonably well so I have never had issues with HDMI. With the SHARP, I could never get the black levels set correctly unless I put the tv in torch mode, thus causing the artifacts to be magnified and honestly it looked like crap.

Once I switched to component on the SHARP it really helped the crushed blacks and the red tones on the faces. After some research I discovered I could change the setting to fix the Uverse quirk in the SHARP service menu. I decided the component look fine although the picture is much softer. I did not want to screw around with the service menu.

Listen to SomeJoe  - he really knows what he is talking about.

14 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 7:30:23 PM
(0)
Guru

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ranging in size from 70 inches down to 23, from high end sony's, to cheapo Olivea, lcd, plasma, and sxrd and I am able to get a very enjoyable picture on every one of the televisions..it took some initial adjusting, coming from Comcrap and Dish, but I can honestly say that the pictures range from good to stunning, and of course, some channels are better than others.

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ranging in size from 70 inches down to 23, from high end sony's, to cheapo Olivea, lcd, plasma, and sxrd and I am able to get a very enjoyable picture on every one of the televisions..it took some initial adjusting, coming from Comcrap and Dish, but I can honestly say that the pictures range from good to stunning, and of course, some channels are better than others.

15 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 7:45:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Your results May Vary.
Your results May Vary.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 7:49:08 PM
(0)
Guru
and, on some days, as expected, the picture is better or worse than others...Hopefully, everyone can find a way to make their pictures on their sets look good so that they are happy with their service..if not, the great thing about Uverse is there is no long term commitment, or early termination fee..
and, on some days, as expected, the picture is better or worse than others...Hopefully, everyone can find a way to make their pictures on their sets look good so that they are happy with their service..if not, the great thing about Uverse is there is no long term commitment, or early termination fee..

17 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 7:49:37 PM
(0)
Guru

RCSMG wrote:
Your results May Vary.

Results usually vary from one type/brand of TV to another. Im sure it will just takes some calibrations on the setting of the TV and STB to solve issue.

RCSMG wrote:
Your results May Vary.

Results usually vary from one type/brand of TV to another. Im sure it will just takes some calibrations on the setting of the TV and STB to solve issue.

18 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 7:54:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

19 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2009 8:34:36 PM
(0)
Guru

wase4711 wrote:

I think thats great for you. I have 3 HDTVs ( 6 seems like a waste with Uverse due to the 2HD streams) and I have had two of these LCD's with previous providers (Charter, Direct TV) and I NEVER had the issues we are discussing right now on this thread. Are the pictures "enjoyable" with Uverse? Depends on your expectations. My expectations were high coming in and to be honest I was dissapointed just as a lot of others. But I digress. I am here because there are a lot of HD channels that other providers didnt have. I know I can leave at any time. I am a techie and I love the technology. I am giving it a chance, but I wont be dishonest just because I have the service and think its better than anything else out there. Guess I wont get any kudos for going against the grain :smileywink:

wase4711 wrote:

I think thats great for you. I have 3 HDTVs ( 6 seems like a waste with Uverse due to the 2HD streams) and I have had two of these LCD's with previous providers (Charter, Direct TV) and I NEVER had the issues we are discussing right now on this thread. Are the pictures "enjoyable" with Uverse? Depends on your expectations. My expectations were high coming in and to be honest I was dissapointed just as a lot of others. But I digress. I am here because there are a lot of HD channels that other providers didnt have. I know I can leave at any time. I am a techie and I love the technology. I am giving it a chance, but I wont be dishonest just because I have the service and think its better than anything else out there. Guess I wont get any kudos for going against the grain :smileywink:

20 of 68 (1,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2009 5:18:54 AM
(0)
Guru

well, dont get me wrong; I am not a real "fanboy" of Uverse by any means,,,I get occasional freezeage, and some pixelation now and then, but, on the whole between the internet service, which is more consistant than any provider I have ever had, and the UVoice, which is crystal clear and has never had a glitch in the 6 months I have had it, I am pretty content with what Uverse has provided so far.

plenty of HD choices, deals and credits anytime I call and ask for something, and pretty hassle free Tier2 support so far.

I save about 45 bucks per month over my previous Comcrap/Dish network/SBC phone line combo, so what's not to like? 

And, yes, having 6 tv's in the house is overkill, and there are usually never more than 3 on at any given time... But I can't help my self, as I am addicted to gadgets, and all things Hi-tech..

well, dont get me wrong; I am not a real "fanboy" of Uverse by any means,,,I get occasional freezeage, and some pixelation now and then, but, on the whole between the internet service, which is more consistant than any provider I have ever had, and the UVoice, which is crystal clear and has never had a glitch in the 6 months I have had it, I am pretty content with what Uverse has provided so far.

plenty of HD choices, deals and credits anytime I call and ask for something, and pretty hassle free Tier2 support so far.

I save about 45 bucks per month over my previous Comcrap/Dish network/SBC phone line combo, so what's not to like? 

And, yes, having 6 tv's in the house is overkill, and there are usually never more than 3 on at any given time... But I can't help my self, as I am addicted to gadgets, and all things Hi-tech..

21 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2009 9:29:51 AM
(0)
Guru
gotcha. I agree with your reasons for sticking with U-Verse. It does has it advantages when you look at everything instead of just the HD.
gotcha. I agree with your reasons for sticking with U-Verse. It does has it advantages when you look at everything instead of just the HD.

22 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2009 5:21:28 PM
(0)
Teacher
oh thank goodness. I thought it was me. I just saw another thread that elluded to this 'darkness' problem. I just swiched from Directv where I really enjoyed the PQ. There are indeed some PQ problems that I can overlook and even the DVR user expirience and functionality gaffs I can ignore but this 'red tint' /dark thing might be the straw. Yes , I have wrestled with all my tv's settings . I have both plasma and LCD and no doubt this is an ATT problem. Sigh. I really like the total DVR concept. Maybe I jmped in too early.
oh thank goodness. I thought it was me. I just saw another thread that elluded to this 'darkness' problem. I just swiched from Directv where I really enjoyed the PQ. There are indeed some PQ problems that I can overlook and even the DVR user expirience and functionality gaffs I can ignore but this 'red tint' /dark thing might be the straw. Yes , I have wrestled with all my tv's settings . I have both plasma and LCD and no doubt this is an ATT problem. Sigh. I really like the total DVR concept. Maybe I jmped in too early.

23 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 8:50:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks SomeJoe7777.  Your post is very helpful.  My TV (Mitsubishi WD-52627) doesn't have a setting for changing the RGB range, so I tried the switch to component, and now the TV picture quality has improved a lot.  The extremely dark blacks and red tinting have seemed to gone away.  Of course, the soft HD picture (at least compared to Comcast) is still there, but I think the overall level of service (selection of HD channels, far superior quality of SD, and better pricing) makes U-verse more worthwhile than Comcast.

To those who don't have the RGB range setting on their TV set (refer to SomeJoe777's post), try the following:

1) Connect your U-verse STB via HDMI and component to your TV.

2) Set the same "normal" video settings on each connection.  By "normal", I mean the levels of brightness, contrast, temperature, etc. that you would expect to deliver close to the picture you want.

3) Pick a video stream and pause the playback.

4) Switch back and forth between HDMI and component and take notice of the difference in picture.  You'll notice that component is superior.

I look forward to further calibration of the picture after using HDNet test pattern that comes on this Saturday morning.

Thanks SomeJoe7777.  Your post is very helpful.  My TV (Mitsubishi WD-52627) doesn't have a setting for changing the RGB range, so I tried the switch to component, and now the TV picture quality has improved a lot.  The extremely dark blacks and red tinting have seemed to gone away.  Of course, the soft HD picture (at least compared to Comcast) is still there, but I think the overall level of service (selection of HD channels, far superior quality of SD, and better pricing) makes U-verse more worthwhile than Comcast.

To those who don't have the RGB range setting on their TV set (refer to SomeJoe777's post), try the following:

2) Set the same "normal" video settings on each connection.  By "normal", I mean the levels of brightness, contrast, temperature, etc. that you would expect to deliver close to the picture you want.

4) Switch back and forth between HDMI and component and take notice of the difference in picture.  You'll notice that component is superior.

I look forward to further calibration of the picture after using HDNet test pattern that comes on this Saturday morning.

24 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 12:59:03 PM
(0)
Expert

KingsFan6 wrote:

Most welcome. :smileyhappy:

A lot of people are reluctant to switch to component because the high-tech Wow factor of HDMI won't be there.  The thing is that while HDMI is capable of a pristine picture and is all-digital, that really only matters if the picture source is pristine to begin with.  For Blu-Ray, you have a very good argument to use HDMI.  But for U-Verse (or any cable or satellite HD provider), where the picture has been ruthlessly compressed and contains artifacts, HDMI doesn't help you.  Component connections will be nearly indistiguishable from HDMI under that condition, and in some cases may be preferable.  Component tends to soften the picture just a little bit, and that softness acts as a built-in filter for the compression artifacts, resulting in a more pleasing picture.

The only other reasons to use HDMI would be to carry progressive-scan picture modes like 1080p/24 (which U-Verse doesn't have), or to carry multichannel high bit rate audio (U-Verse doesn't have that either).  So you have virtually no reason to want to use HDMI other than "hey Ma, look at my all-digital connection".

Combine this with HDMI's flakiness for HDCP negotiation, poor quality cables and connectors, and incompatibilities between different versions/manufacturers/specs, and component keeps looking better and better. :smileyhappy:

KingsFan6 wrote:

Most welcome. :smileyhappy:

A lot of people are reluctant to switch to component because the high-tech Wow factor of HDMI won't be there.  The thing is that while HDMI is capable of a pristine picture and is all-digital, that really only matters if the picture source is pristine to begin with.  For Blu-Ray, you have a very good argument to use HDMI.  But for U-Verse (or any cable or satellite HD provider), where the picture has been ruthlessly compressed and contains artifacts, HDMI doesn't help you.  Component connections will be nearly indistiguishable from HDMI under that condition, and in some cases may be preferable.  Component tends to soften the picture just a little bit, and that softness acts as a built-in filter for the compression artifacts, resulting in a more pleasing picture.

The only other reasons to use HDMI would be to carry progressive-scan picture modes like 1080p/24 (which U-Verse doesn't have), or to carry multichannel high bit rate audio (U-Verse doesn't have that either).  So you have virtually no reason to want to use HDMI other than "hey Ma, look at my all-digital connection".

Combine this with HDMI's flakiness for HDCP negotiation, poor quality cables and connectors, and incompatibilities between different versions/manufacturers/specs, and component keeps looking better and better. :smileyhappy:

25 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2009 7:20:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
Man that Planet Earth series has some extreme problems.  U-verse can handle some scenes beautifully, but for some it really poops out.  There was a scene with thousands of white birds that looked great but when they zoomed in so that flapping birds filled the screen it turned to like 1 inch squares.  Reminded me of the olympic swimming when the whole pool got churning it just turned into youtube.  Not to mention the stuttering backgrounds...  I think U-verse definitely takes the prize for widest range of picture quality if everything stays still enough and is in focus you can nearly see the sweat evaporate from their pores.
Man that Planet Earth series has some extreme problems.  U-verse can handle some scenes beautifully, but for some it really poops out.  There was a scene with thousands of white birds that looked great but when they zoomed in so that flapping birds filled the screen it turned to like 1 inch squares.  Reminded me of the olympic swimming when the whole pool got churning it just turned into youtube.  Not to mention the stuttering backgrounds...  I think U-verse definitely takes the prize for widest range of picture quality if everything stays still enough and is in focus you can nearly see the sweat evaporate from their pores.

26 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2009 7:35:54 AM
(0)
Guru

for me, I prefer HDMI for one reason;

One cable connectivity..

only my cheapo Olevia lcd has a problem with the "handshake" now and then, and, all I have to do is go into the settings, and run a test, and it fixes itself..

Not a big deal, ladies and gentlemen..

and yes, it is amazing how one second the picture is stunning and marvelous, and the a minute later it can look like Utube..

When we live on the "bleeding  edge", we are going to bleed sometimes... 

One cable connectivity..

only my cheapo Olevia lcd has a problem with the "handshake" now and then, and, all I have to do is go into the settings, and run a test, and it fixes itself..

and yes, it is amazing how one second the picture is stunning and marvelous, and the a minute later it can look like Utube..

27 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2009 12:35:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

wase4711 wrote:

One cable connectivity..

a agree with the 1 cable connection 100% that was the idea, but you cant get 5.1 audio out of uverse with it sooooo you will still have another cable back there

wase4711 wrote:

One cable connectivity..

a agree with the 1 cable connection 100% that was the idea, but you cant get 5.1 audio out of uverse with it sooooo you will still have another cable back there

28 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2009 12:46:54 PM
(0)
Guru

good point; on my "home theater" tv, I do have a optical digital cable connected to my amp/speakers..

my other TV's I just use the internal speakers, so 5.1 isn't an option.. 

good point; on my "home theater" tv, I do have a optical digital cable connected to my amp/speakers..

my other TV's I just use the internal speakers, so 5.1 isn't an option.. 

29 of 68 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2009 11:48:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

I know the uverse doesn't output dolby 5.1 over HDMI, neither does the Playstation 3.  What the PS3 does do is output LCPM 7.1 channel over HDMI.  Does Uverse support this as well.  Basically it's sending the raw sound outpout over HDMI instead of the compressed Dolby.  Not all receivers can support this.  My Harmon Kardon can.

Also note alot of TVs that can accept 5.1 in through HDMI will not output 5.1 through their audio outs.  Makes it pretty pointless but this may be the case as well.

When I get uverse installed next Saturday I'll let people know what I find.

I know the uverse doesn't output dolby 5.1 over HDMI, neither does the Playstation 3.  What the PS3 does do is output LCPM 7.1 channel over HDMI.  Does Uverse support this as well.  Basically it's sending the raw sound outpout over HDMI instead of the compressed Dolby.  Not all receivers can support this.  My Harmon Kardon can.

Also note alot of TVs that can accept 5.1 in through HDMI will not output 5.1 through their audio outs.  Makes it pretty pointless but this may be the case as well.

When I get uverse installed next Saturday I'll let people know what I find.

30 of 68 (1,825 Views)