Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

Mentor

Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

I recently switched to U-verse and noticed immediately an overall darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast, given the same video settings and same HDMI connection.  Some video settings (like brightness and/or contrast) would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get the optimal picture.  Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Message 1 of 68 (2,811 Views)
Scholar

Re: Darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast

check your setting on your tv .if its set in movie mode the picture will be alot darker
Message 2 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Mentor

I think that's beside the point.  My point is that given the same video settings on my TV (between Comcast and U-verse), the picture is significantly darker on U-verse.  My Mitsubishi has a Normal and Bright mode.  On either mode, settings would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get a similar picture level that I was getting on a Comcast signal.
Message 3 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Expert

U-Verse HDMI has a quirk that can result in a dark picture on many TVs.  Some of those TVs can be adjusted to compensate.  On others, you will have to switch to component.

See How to use the HDNet Test Pattern to do a Basic Calibration for details.  The post regarding the HDMI settings is about 7 posts down.

Message 4 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Highlighted

then turn your brightness up...
Message 5 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Professor

KingsFan6 wrote:

I recently switched to U-verse and noticed immediately an overall darker picture on U-verse vs. Comcast, given the same video settings and same HDMI connection.  Some video settings (like brightness and/or contrast) would have to be pushed up on U-verse to get the optimal picture.  Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Same thing here I think it is normal, switch to component cables and all will be fine
Message 6 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Guru

wase4711 wrote:
then turn your brightness up...

Easier said than done

If you cant change the input from 16-235 to 0-255 on your tv, the only other option is to use component cables and calibrate your tv. This is an issue with Uverse.

Message 7 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Mentor

Yes you are correct.  The same thing is true not only with Comcast verses Uverse, but Dish verses Uverse

Message 8 of 68 (2,675 Views)

I thought every TV had a brightness adjustment in its menu system...
Message 9 of 68 (2,675 Views)
Teacher

Folks, this has been a day-1problem, meaning since day-1 when U-verse was launched. Some folks believe that by switching from HDMI to Component helps to rectify the problem, but I have switched from HDMI to component and it still is dark.

One of the more techie guys mght jump in here, but I believe the darkness problem is actually an issue with either the encoders or the encoding process, and in order to limit bandwith utilization, dark areas of the image show up more dark and less complex with the encoding scheme that is deployed. It's not hard to notice in movies in dark scenes that a lot of the detail in the dark areas is almost non-existent. For some reason, the encoding process at&t is using does not like dark scenes. I wish this is something they would fix.

And raising the brightness only introduces noise in the dark areas and too much brightness in the light ones...

Message 10 of 68 (2,675 Views)

how about reducing the contrast /color/sharpness, so that noise isnt introduced into the picture..there must be a way of fixing that..

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ALL connected via HDMI, and don't have any problems the picture being too dark... 

Message 11 of 68 (2,404 Views)
Expert

themosh wrote:

Folks, this has been a day-1problem, meaning since day-1 when U-verse was launched. Some folks believe that by switching from HDMI to Component helps to rectify the problem, but I have switched from HDMI to component and it still is dark.

One of the more techie guys mght jump in here, but I believe the darkness problem is actually an issue with either the encoders or the encoding process, and in order to limit bandwith utilization, dark areas of the image show up more dark and less complex with the encoding scheme that is deployed. It's not hard to notice in movies in dark scenes that a lot of the detail in the dark areas is almost non-existent. For some reason, the encoding process at&t is using does not like dark scenes. I wish this is something they would fix.

And raising the brightness only introduces noise in the dark areas and too much brightness in the light ones...

The encoding process U-Verse is using has problems with detail in the dark areas, but that is a result of the relatively low bitrate.  There is no overall problem with brightness shifts as a result of the encoding process.

A perfect brightness/contrast calibration for U-Verse can be achieved by all TVs if you use component connections.  See my post I referenced above for specific instructions.

Message 12 of 68 (2,404 Views)
ACE - Expert

themosh wrote:

I've solved it on my 42' Panasonic plasma by taking my 'Game' picture setting and bumping up the 'brightness' about 30 points (out of 100) higher than my 'Custom' setting that is great on non-dark scenes or programs, but I also raised the 'picture (contrast)' up 4-7 points and the 'color' up 12-15 points (I'm not afraid to change any of them during a program to get a better picture). 

The picture I get is almost exactly the same as the component 'Custom' setting adjusted by SomeJoe's HDNet adjustment (I can switch back and forth as I have both HDMI and component set up together and eliminates the dark background problem), but it's on HDMI and does not introduce noise in the dark area and is only too bright in extremely bright scenes.  I know on certain programs the 'Game' setting works great (Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI NY), other programs I switch to it from 'Custom' during the shows.  Of course to do this you need the TV and Uverse remote controls (which I'm more than happy to use both for a great pictue) or buy a Harmony remote. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 03-27-2009 02:41 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 68 (2,404 Views)
Guru

wase4711 wrote:
I thought every TV had a brightness adjustment in its menu system...

Its not that simple on some hdtv's. The brightness level you are referring to is called different names on various sets. I have a SHARP and a SONY (both high end LCD's that have excellent black levels for LCD'swith other sources). The SONY handles Uverse reasonably well so I have never had issues with HDMI. With the SHARP, I could never get the black levels set correctly unless I put the tv in torch mode, thus causing the artifacts to be magnified and honestly it looked like crap.

Once I switched to component on the SHARP it really helped the crushed blacks and the red tones on the faces. After some research I discovered I could change the setting to fix the Uverse quirk in the SHARP service menu. I decided the component look fine although the picture is much softer. I did not want to screw around with the service menu.

Listen to SomeJoe  - he really knows what he is talking about.

Message 14 of 68 (2,404 Views)

I have 6 hd tv's in my house, ranging in size from 70 inches down to 23, from high end sony's, to cheapo Olivea, lcd, plasma, and sxrd and I am able to get a very enjoyable picture on every one of the televisions..it took some initial adjusting, coming from Comcrap and Dish, but I can honestly say that the pictures range from good to stunning, and of course, some channels are better than others.

Message 15 of 68 (2,404 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.