Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 26, 2013
7:33:14 AM
View profile
Damage to our tv and phone system

We had an electrical storm on Saturday. After the sound of lightning close to our house (no direct strike damage to the house could be found) our uverse system completely went off with no lights on at all. The repair man came on Tuesday and replaced the uverse equipment. After replacing it our flat screen tv and our base for our telephone system was all burned out as well. This was all through the phone line, our power had not even flickered.

The repair man said he was strictly there to replace the uverse equipment and if we wanted the incident to be investigated we had to call in a claim and someone would come to our house to investigate.

I called the lady at Sedgwick 2 days later to set up a time for the investigation. She stated they would not send anyone out, but would use the repair man's report and unless it states a wire was not grounded our claim would be denied due to the terms of AT&T's tos.

If my research is accurate there could have been other reasons such as a water leak in the outside line that contributed to such a devastating incident. Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can handle it and make sure a thorough investigation is done so we can possibly be reimbursed?

While I understand lightning can cause unexpected damage and unpredictable damage to equipment, we had never expected to have our tv  be burned out because of the telephone wire rather than the power line.

Thanks for any advise or suggestions you can give me.

We had an electrical storm on Saturday. After the sound of lightning close to our house (no direct strike damage to the house could be found) our uverse system completely went off with no lights on at all. The repair man came on Tuesday and replaced the uverse equipment. After replacing it our flat screen tv and our base for our telephone system was all burned out as well. This was all through the phone line, our power had not even flickered.

The repair man said he was strictly there to replace the uverse equipment and if we wanted the incident to be investigated we had to call in a claim and someone would come to our house to investigate.

I called the lady at Sedgwick 2 days later to set up a time for the investigation. She stated they would not send anyone out, but would use the repair man's report and unless it states a wire was not grounded our claim would be denied due to the terms of AT&T's tos.

If my research is accurate there could have been other reasons such as a water leak in the outside line that contributed to such a devastating incident. Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can handle it and make sure a thorough investigation is done so we can possibly be reimbursed?

While I understand lightning can cause unexpected damage and unpredictable damage to equipment, we had never expected to have our tv  be burned out because of the telephone wire rather than the power line.

Thanks for any advise or suggestions you can give me.

Damage to our tv and phone system

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 7:57:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're pretty much at the mercy of the insurance company.  A prem tech put his foot through our ceiling damaging our car in the garage and they didn't send anyone out.  They used the info on his report.

Until and unless you have firm PROOF that the Uverse equipment caused your TV to blow, you're outta luck. 

You're pretty much at the mercy of the insurance company.  A prem tech put his foot through our ceiling damaging our car in the garage and they didn't send anyone out.  They used the info on his report.

Until and unless you have firm PROOF that the Uverse equipment caused your TV to blow, you're outta luck. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Damage to our tv and phone system

2 of 4 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 10:57:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Even though it was a "telephone" line, anytime you are that close to a lightening strike, collatoral damage can be had. I'd file a claim with your insurance company and not expect AT&T to pay for anything.  A friend of mine had a strike near his house and the only thing it fried was his phone and laptop.  Lightening and electricity can behave in unusual manners.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Even though it was a "telephone" line, anytime you are that close to a lightening strike, collatoral damage can be had. I'd file a claim with your insurance company and not expect AT&T to pay for anything.  A friend of mine had a strike near his house and the only thing it fried was his phone and laptop.  Lightening and electricity can behave in unusual manners.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 8:37:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

In the communications industry it's called "an act of god" which means it isn't covered under normal operating conditions.  Your best bet is to put in a claim with YOUR insurance company.  Just sayin.....

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

In the communications industry it's called "an act of god" which means it isn't covered under normal operating conditions.  Your best bet is to put in a claim with YOUR insurance company.  Just sayin.....

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

4 of 4 (185 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments