DVR whole house competition

Mentor

DVR whole house competition

Xfinity (Comcast Cable) is advertising in my area that their whole house DVR can record 5 HD shows and watch a 6th show at the same time.  Does anyone know if Uverse is going to keep up with competition?

Message 1 of 46 (1,990 Views)
Expert

Re: DVR whole house competition

Has Comcast kept up with it's "competition"?

Message 2 of 46 (1,727 Views)
Mentor

Being sarcastic doesn't answer my question. Comcast seems to be answering Uverse competition with more benefits--plus they have CSS which offers more SEC football games than Uverse does.
Message 3 of 46 (1,716 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Denver_1 wrote:
Being sarcastic doesn't answer my question. Comcast seems to be answering Uverse competition with more benefits--plus they have CSS which offers more SEC football games than Uverse does.

Let's see if that true in 2014, when U-verse, not Comcast, becomes the founding partner for the launch of the SEC Network.

By the way, CSS is owned by Comcast and Charter.  They do not provide the rights to the channel to their competitors.  They use the channel as a way to gain a competitive advantage (i.e. to force you to stay or switch to them in order to get that channel.)

Message 4 of 46 (1,706 Views)
Mentor

You have peaked my interest on that comment, but it's hard for me to believe that all southern cable channels will not cover the new SEC Network; that would be suicide. Even though Uverse has already said they will carry it (with/without additional fees which we don't know yet), I'm sure all the others will too.
Message 5 of 46 (1,692 Views)
Expert

When is Comcast going to keep up with it's competition?  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 46 (1,691 Views)
Expert

Denver_1 wrote:
You have peaked my interest on that comment, but it's hard for me to believe that all southern cable channels will not cover the new SEC Network; that would be suicide. Even though Uverse has already said they will carry it (with/without additional fees which we don't know yet), I'm sure all the others will too.

Suicide?  No.  If your competitors also do not carry a channel, the customers have no place to run to.  Adding a sports channel does not automatically mean that TV providers will pick it up.  Ask Comcast how successfull they having been getting other TV providers to pick up Comcast SportsNet Houston. They are the only major provider that carries that channel.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 46 (1,688 Views)
Mentor

Sorry TX, but SEC fans could care less about Comcast SportsNet Houston.
Message 8 of 46 (1,677 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Denver_1 wrote:
Sorry TX, but SEC fans could care less about Comcast SportsNet Houston.

Houston Astro fans could not care less about the SEC Network, so what?  

Just because you want the SEC Network doesn't mean that your TV provider will pick it up any more than Astro fans wanting CSN Houston means that their TV provider has picked it up.

Message 9 of 46 (1,673 Views)
ACE - Master

Denver_1 wrote:

Xfinity (Comcast Cable) is advertising in my area that their whole house DVR can record 5 HD shows and watch a 6th show at the same time.  Does anyone know if Uverse is going to keep up with competition?

See this thread.  As far as your back and forth with TG37, both U-Verse and Comcast do have their pro's and con's.  When it comes to stream count alone, when U-Verse rolls out its new profile, it will again be the stream king, upping Comcast by at least one.  Now CC does carry sub channels, Local on the 8's, has huge VOD library,  and is supposedly offering Pandora (with X1), they also have dismal customer care and hefty price increases.  Long story short - If one service was perfect, we'd all be there.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 46 (1,606 Views)
Mentor

Agree, they both have pros and cons. Thanks for the thread; gave me more info. We really miss "local on the 8" that Comcast has; Uverse weather info is so inferior. And still miss having Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Channel. You must be lucky if your Uverse service isn't giving you hefty price increases. Even though I continue to try to get deals with them every once in a while, it's amazing how much our costs has gone up since we installed in 2008.
Message 11 of 46 (1,590 Views)
Scholar

Long story short - If one service was perfect, we'd all be there

And if that doesn't sum it all up, nothing does.

Message 12 of 46 (1,571 Views)

I was planning on buying an OTA antenna and a boxee box for a cloud dvr for locals only, however, Samsung has bought out Boxee and the service is suspended for the time being. So I'm going to hold off on doing that right now.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 13 of 46 (1,520 Views)
Mentor

What? Have no idea what you are talking about.
Message 14 of 46 (1,480 Views)
ACE - Master

He was talking about buying an over the air antenna and a Boxee streaming box, which apparently allows recording of the digital subchannels, which AT&T won't carry.  Boxee must have just been bought out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 46 (1,406 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.