Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 22, 2013
6:56:07 AM
View profile
DVR whole house competition

Xfinity (Comcast Cable) is advertising in my area that their whole house DVR can record 5 HD shows and watch a 6th show at the same time.  Does anyone know if Uverse is going to keep up with competition?

Xfinity (Comcast Cable) is advertising in my area that their whole house DVR can record 5 HD shows and watch a 6th show at the same time.  Does anyone know if Uverse is going to keep up with competition?

DVR whole house competition

45 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(45)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 4:41:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Has Comcast kept up with it's "competition"?

Has Comcast kept up with it's "competition"?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR whole house competition

2 of 46 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 5:30:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Being sarcastic doesn't answer my question. Comcast seems to be answering Uverse competition with more benefits--plus they have CSS which offers more SEC football games than Uverse does.
Being sarcastic doesn't answer my question. Comcast seems to be answering Uverse competition with more benefits--plus they have CSS which offers more SEC football games than Uverse does.

3 of 46 (1,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 5:50:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:00:48 PM

Denver_1 wrote:

Let's see if that true in 2014, when U-verse, not Comcast, becomes the founding partner for the launch of the SEC Network.

By the way, CSS is owned by Comcast and Charter.  They do not provide the rights to the channel to their competitors.  They use the channel as a way to gain a competitive advantage (i.e. to force you to stay or switch to them in order to get that channel.)

Denver_1 wrote:

Let's see if that true in 2014, when U-verse, not Comcast, becomes the founding partner for the launch of the SEC Network.

By the way, CSS is owned by Comcast and Charter.  They do not provide the rights to the channel to their competitors.  They use the channel as a way to gain a competitive advantage (i.e. to force you to stay or switch to them in order to get that channel.)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 46 (1,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 6:02:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
You have peaked my interest on that comment, but it's hard for me to believe that all southern cable channels will not cover the new SEC Network; that would be suicide. Even though Uverse has already said they will carry it (with/without additional fees which we don't know yet), I'm sure all the others will too.
You have peaked my interest on that comment, but it's hard for me to believe that all southern cable channels will not cover the new SEC Network; that would be suicide. Even though Uverse has already said they will carry it (with/without additional fees which we don't know yet), I'm sure all the others will too.

5 of 46 (1,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 6:13:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

When is Comcast going to keep up with it's competition?  Smiley Happy

When is Comcast going to keep up with it's competition?  Smiley Happy

6 of 46 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 6:17:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Denver_1 wrote:

Suicide?  No.  If your competitors also do not carry a channel, the customers have no place to run to.  Adding a sports channel does not automatically mean that TV providers will pick it up.  Ask Comcast how successfull they having been getting other TV providers to pick up Comcast SportsNet Houston. They are the only major provider that carries that channel.  Smiley Happy

Denver_1 wrote:

Suicide?  No.  If your competitors also do not carry a channel, the customers have no place to run to.  Adding a sports channel does not automatically mean that TV providers will pick it up.  Ask Comcast how successfull they having been getting other TV providers to pick up Comcast SportsNet Houston. They are the only major provider that carries that channel.  Smiley Happy

7 of 46 (1,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 6:54:11 PM
(0)
Mentor
Sorry TX, but SEC fans could care less about Comcast SportsNet Houston.

8 of 46 (1,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 7:34:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:35:55 PM

Denver_1 wrote:

Houston Astro fans could not care less about the SEC Network, so what?  

Just because you want the SEC Network doesn't mean that your TV provider will pick it up any more than Astro fans wanting CSN Houston means that their TV provider has picked it up.

Denver_1 wrote:

Houston Astro fans could not care less about the SEC Network, so what?  

Just because you want the SEC Network doesn't mean that your TV provider will pick it up any more than Astro fans wanting CSN Houston means that their TV provider has picked it up.

[ Edited ]
9 of 46 (1,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 12:17:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Denver_1 wrote:

See this thread.  As far as your back and forth with TG37, both U-Verse and Comcast do have their pro's and con's.  When it comes to stream count alone, when U-Verse rolls out its new profile, it will again be the stream king, upping Comcast by at least one.  Now CC does carry sub channels, Local on the 8's, has huge VOD library,  and is supposedly offering Pandora (with X1), they also have dismal customer care and hefty price increases.  Long story short - If one service was perfect, we'd all be there.

Denver_1 wrote:

See this thread.  As far as your back and forth with TG37, both U-Verse and Comcast do have their pro's and con's.  When it comes to stream count alone, when U-Verse rolls out its new profile, it will again be the stream king, upping Comcast by at least one.  Now CC does carry sub channels, Local on the 8's, has huge VOD library,  and is supposedly offering Pandora (with X1), they also have dismal customer care and hefty price increases.  Long story short - If one service was perfect, we'd all be there.

10 of 46 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 1:57:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
Agree, they both have pros and cons. Thanks for the thread; gave me more info. We really miss "local on the 8" that Comcast has; Uverse weather info is so inferior. And still miss having Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Channel. You must be lucky if your Uverse service isn't giving you hefty price increases. Even though I continue to try to get deals with them every once in a while, it's amazing how much our costs has gone up since we installed in 2008.
Agree, they both have pros and cons. Thanks for the thread; gave me more info. We really miss "local on the 8" that Comcast has; Uverse weather info is so inferior. And still miss having Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Channel. You must be lucky if your Uverse service isn't giving you hefty price increases. Even though I continue to try to get deals with them every once in a while, it's amazing how much our costs has gone up since we installed in 2008.

11 of 46 (1,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 3:14:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

Long story short - If one service was perfect, we'd all be there

And if that doesn't sum it all up, nothing does.

Long story short - If one service was perfect, we'd all be there

And if that doesn't sum it all up, nothing does.

12 of 46 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 1:56:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was planning on buying an OTA antenna and a boxee box for a cloud dvr for locals only, however, Samsung has bought out Boxee and the service is suspended for the time being. So I'm going to hold off on doing that right now.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

I was planning on buying an OTA antenna and a boxee box for a cloud dvr for locals only, however, Samsung has bought out Boxee and the service is suspended for the time being. So I'm going to hold off on doing that right now.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

13 of 46 (1,150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 5:44:13 PM
(0)
Mentor
What? Have no idea what you are talking about.
What? Have no idea what you are talking about.

14 of 46 (1,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2013 6:07:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

He was talking about buying an over the air antenna and a Boxee streaming box, which apparently allows recording of the digital subchannels, which AT&T won't carry.  Boxee must have just been bought out.

He was talking about buying an over the air antenna and a Boxee streaming box, which apparently allows recording of the digital subchannels, which AT&T won't carry.  Boxee must have just been bought out.

15 of 46 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 12:34:01 AM
(0)
Mentor

dhascall wrote:

Denver_1 wrote:

When it comes to stream count alone, when U-Verse rolls out its new profile, it will again be the stream king, upping Comcast by at least one.

We will still only be able to record 3 hd shows at once.

dhascall wrote:

Denver_1 wrote:

When it comes to stream count alone, when U-Verse rolls out its new profile, it will again be the stream king, upping Comcast by at least one.

16 of 46 (1,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 5:55:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Steven- wrote:

Your source?

Steven- wrote:

Your source?

17 of 46 (988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 7:09:06 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Steven- on Jul 30, 2013 at 7:11:02 AM

The DVR box.
They would have to switch them out to be able to record more than that. The 3 HD + 1 SD is a hardware limitation, not a bandwidth one.

I can already watch 4 HD shows, but still can't record more than 3.

The DVR box.
They would have to switch them out to be able to record more than that. The 3 HD + 1 SD is a hardware limitation, not a bandwidth one.

[ Edited ]
18 of 46 (918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 3:08:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Steven- wrote:

The DVR box.

No, not true.  At one time you could only receive and record 1 HD stream.  The it changed to 2 HD streams.  Later it changed to 3 HD streams, and now we can receive up to 4 HD streams.  All changes occurred without any hardware changes.  The 3 HD stream + 1 SD stream is not a hardware limitation.

Steven- wrote:

The DVR box.

No, not true.  At one time you could only receive and record 1 HD stream.  The it changed to 2 HD streams.  Later it changed to 3 HD streams, and now we can receive up to 4 HD streams.  All changes occurred without any hardware changes.  The 3 HD stream + 1 SD stream is not a hardware limitation.

19 of 46 (882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 7:28:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

Steven- wrote:

The DVR box.

Agreed.

texasguy37 wrote:

Steven- wrote:

The DVR box.

Agreed.

20 of 46 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 12:48:10 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Steven- on Aug 1, 2013 at 1:00:02 AM

texasguy37 wrote:

When it changed to 2 HD streams, could you record 2 HD shows(I'm assuming yes)? Then when it changed to 3 HD streams, could you record 3 HD shows(again, I'm assuming yes)? Now that it's 4, you can still only record 3. If it's not a hardware limitation, why can you watch 4 HD shows, but not record 4?

texasguy37 wrote:

When it changed to 2 HD streams, could you record 2 HD shows(I'm assuming yes)? Then when it changed to 3 HD streams, could you record 3 HD shows(again, I'm assuming yes)? Now that it's 4, you can still only record 3. If it's not a hardware limitation, why can you watch 4 HD shows, but not record 4?

[ Edited ]
21 of 46 (830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 3:03:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's not a hardware limitation.

22 of 46 (825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 3:39:09 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Steven- on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:41:52 AM

texasguy37 wrote:

That's not an answer.

It seems like your answer would be; "AT&T just thought it would be a good idea to do it that way."

texasguy37 wrote:

That's not an answer.

It seems like your answer would be; "AT&T just thought it would be a good idea to do it that way."

[ Edited ]
23 of 46 (819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 9:51:37 AM
(0)
Expert
At some point, every device has hardware limitations. However, in this case, the limit is not on the number of streams, but rather the bandwidth.

3HD + 1SD streams is about 20 Mbps of bandwidth. Now, does the DVR have a 20 Mbps limit somewhere in the hardware chain (network hardware, network driver, CPU, bus, SATA controller, hard drive) ? Maybe, maybe not.

But the fact remains that if AT&T were to get new encoders that reduced the bandwidth of a stream, then perhaps 4HD, or 4HD + 2SD, or some other higher stream combination will now fit within 20 Mbps. Such a configuration would be fully supported by the DVR.

So, in summary:

A) No one knows for sure if the current configuration of 3HD + 1SD is near a hardware limit, nor what that hardware limit actually is.
B) If there is such a limit, the limit is not the number of streams, but rather the bandwidth. This enables the possibility of more streams if their individual bandwidth goes down in the future.

At some point, every device has hardware limitations. However, in this case, the limit is not on the number of streams, but rather the bandwidth.

3HD + 1SD streams is about 20 Mbps of bandwidth. Now, does the DVR have a 20 Mbps limit somewhere in the hardware chain (network hardware, network driver, CPU, bus, SATA controller, hard drive) ? Maybe, maybe not.

But the fact remains that if AT&T were to get new encoders that reduced the bandwidth of a stream, then perhaps 4HD, or 4HD + 2SD, or some other higher stream combination will now fit within 20 Mbps. Such a configuration would be fully supported by the DVR.

So, in summary:

A) No one knows for sure if the current configuration of 3HD + 1SD is near a hardware limit, nor what that hardware limit actually is.
B) If there is such a limit, the limit is not the number of streams, but rather the bandwidth. This enables the possibility of more streams if their individual bandwidth goes down in the future.

24 of 46 (773 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 6:07:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Aug 1, 2013 at 6:43:12 PM

Does anyone remember the 7 stream profile (4 SD/3 HD) that was released by mistake to some customers last year?  All 7 streams were recordable.  

SomeJoe, how much bandwidth would you calcuate would be in use during those 7 recordings?

Does anyone remember the 7 stream profile (4 SD/3 HD) that was released by mistake to some customers last year?  All 7 streams were recordable.  

SomeJoe, how much bandwidth would you calcuate would be in use during those 7 recordings?

[ Edited ]
25 of 46 (744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 7:30:00 PM
(0)
Expert
Full ingress load on 3HD + 4SD would be 3 * 5.7 + 4 * 1.8 = 24.3 Mbps.

One thing that does have to be added in when determining whether a hardware limit would be violated is the egress profile. Other STBs watching live or recorded video add bandwidth to both the hard drive and the network interface.

At current limitations, if you're recording 3HD + 1SD, and 3 other STBs in the house are watching 3HD (live, delayed, or recorded), then the total bandwidth load on the DVR's network interface and hard drive is:

3 * 5.7 + 1 * 1.8 + 3 * 5.7 = 36 Mbps. This is well within a good hard drive's capabilities, but the component that's really stressed in this situation is the 100 Mbps network interface, especially on HPNA/coax.

If this was happening with a 3HD+4SD profile, then the total bandwidth could conceivably be 3 * 5.7 + 4 * 1.8 + 3 * 5.7 = 41.4 Mbps.

One thing that does have to be added in when determining whether a hardware limit would be violated is the egress profile. Other STBs watching live or recorded video add bandwidth to both the hard drive and the network interface.

At current limitations, if you're recording 3HD + 1SD, and 3 other STBs in the house are watching 3HD (live, delayed, or recorded), then the total bandwidth load on the DVR's network interface and hard drive is:

3 * 5.7 + 1 * 1.8 + 3 * 5.7 = 36 Mbps. This is well within a good hard drive's capabilities, but the component that's really stressed in this situation is the 100 Mbps network interface, especially on HPNA/coax.

If this was happening with a 3HD+4SD profile, then the total bandwidth could conceivably be 3 * 5.7 + 4 * 1.8 + 3 * 5.7 = 41.4 Mbps.

26 of 46 (723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 12:42:48 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Steven- on Aug 2, 2013 at 12:46:55 AM

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
3HD + 1SD streams is about 20 Mbps of bandwidth.

AT&T's HD streams only use 5.7 Mbps? Wiki says it's 8-15 Mbps using MPEG-4, and 25 Mbps using MPEG-2. No wonder people used to complain about the HD quality not being HD. Supposedly the quality is better now, so what did the bit rate used to be?

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
3HD + 1SD streams is about 20 Mbps of bandwidth.

AT&T's HD streams only use 5.7 Mbps? Wiki says it's 8-15 Mbps using MPEG-4, and 25 Mbps using MPEG-2. No wonder people used to complain about the HD quality not being HD. Supposedly the quality is better now, so what did the bit rate used to be?

[ Edited ]
27 of 46 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 12:58:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

It says nothing in that thread about him being able to record all the streams. It says he set 3 HD streams to record, then set the STBs to SD channels...

texasguy37 wrote:

It says nothing in that thread about him being able to record all the streams. It says he set 3 HD streams to record, then set the STBs to SD channels...

28 of 46 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:07:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Steven- wrote:

No, the Ingress profile determines the combination of the recordable streams.  All 7 streams (4 SD and 3 HD) were recordable.  I remember the whole discussions last year when this profile appeared!  It was not just this one thread that I posted.

Also, there used to be a 5 SD profile.  All 5 SD streams were recordable.

Steven- wrote:

No, the Ingress profile determines the combination of the recordable streams.  All 7 streams (4 SD and 3 HD) were recordable.  I remember the whole discussions last year when this profile appeared!  It was not just this one thread that I posted.

Also, there used to be a 5 SD profile.  All 5 SD streams were recordable.

29 of 46 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 3:12:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Based on that, would you say that the ability to record 4 HD streams at the same time would be within those bandwidth limits?

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Based on that, would you say that the ability to record 4 HD streams at the same time would be within those bandwidth limits?

30 of 46 (703 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments