Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 28, 2013
5:11:05 PM
DVR restarting itself over and over again
I have 3 DVRs. One main wired one in the living room and 2 wireless ones in each of the bedrooms. The main DVR was not recording any scheduled shows last night, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in order to restart. After plugging it back in it cycled on over and over again and was still doing it by this evening. My other 2 DVRs are working fine.
I have restarted the gateway router as well, but that doesn't seem to help. The wireless is working fine. It seems that the main DVR is defective, but I had it installed new back in April so that seems odd.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. With college football starting tomorrow night, I'm beginning to freak out!
Thanks
I have 3 DVRs. One main wired one in the living room and 2 wireless ones in each of the bedrooms. The main DVR was not recording any scheduled shows last night, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in order to restart. After plugging it back in it cycled on over and over again and was still doing it by this evening. My other 2 DVRs are working fine.
I have restarted the gateway router as well, but that doesn't seem to help. The wireless is working fine. It seems that the main DVR is defective, but I had it installed new back in April so that seems odd.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. With college football starting tomorrow night, I'm beginning to freak out!
Thanks

DVR restarting itself over and over again

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:17:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
vikedog2001 - It does sound like it failed. You need to call in or chat to have a new one sent or delivered. Chat may be better. When I called I got the automated test & lost a day with an outside tech. The chat person scheduled a tech to replace the DVR.

At least you can watch til it is replace. NO recording or live trick play, though.
vikedog2001 - It does sound like it failed. You need to call in or chat to have a new one sent or delivered. Chat may be better. When I called I got the automated test & lost a day with an outside tech. The chat person scheduled a tech to replace the DVR.

At least you can watch til it is replace. NO recording or live trick play, though.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR restarting itself over and over again

2 of 16 (11,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:25:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks aviewer. I just restated it again after posting my original message and now it's just sitting at the AT&T Uverse screen with the spinning circle in the bottom right corner. Not sure if this is better or worse, but either way it has stopped cycling itself. I guess I'll try to chat with someone tomorrow and see if they can drop off a new one.
Thanks aviewer. I just restated it again after posting my original message and now it's just sitting at the AT&T Uverse screen with the spinning circle in the bottom right corner. Not sure if this is better or worse, but either way it has stopped cycling itself. I guess I'll try to chat with someone tomorrow and see if they can drop off a new one.

3 of 16 (11,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:26:54 PM
(0)
Employee
You have one DVR (hardwired) and two wireless (non dvr) set top boxes.
Both wireless are functioning properly as live tv but you have no dvr functions
No pause, play or recording capabilities.

The DVR has a link light, is this on and green
How is the DVR connected, by Ethernet or coax.

If by coax have you reset the RG (hpna) then reboot dvr?

Generally if dvr is bad will get red X with 1,2,or 3 dots
Continue cycling, or red x no dots, or no link light is issue With cabling or RG

Which DVR?, which RG? Equipment can go bad after 1 week or 4.5 years
April install has no real bearing on equipment condition.

No need to freak as both wireless boxes are working and could be moved to dvr location
If that is your primary tv for viewing
You have one DVR (hardwired) and two wireless (non dvr) set top boxes.
Both wireless are functioning properly as live tv but you have no dvr functions
No pause, play or recording capabilities.

The DVR has a link light, is this on and green
How is the DVR connected, by Ethernet or coax.

If by coax have you reset the RG (hpna) then reboot dvr?

Generally if dvr is bad will get red X with 1,2,or 3 dots
Continue cycling, or red x no dots, or no link light is issue With cabling or RG

Which DVR?, which RG? Equipment can go bad after 1 week or 4.5 years
April install has no real bearing on equipment condition.

No need to freak as both wireless boxes are working and could be moved to dvr location
If that is your primary tv for viewing
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 16 (11,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 5:31:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
DVR is wired via Ethernet. Green light is on solid. Says ISB7500 on the front. Currently just sitting at the AT&T Uverse screen with the spinning circle in the bottom right corner.
DVR is wired via Ethernet. Green light is on solid. Says ISB7500 on the front. Currently just sitting at the AT&T Uverse screen with the spinning circle in the bottom right corner.

5 of 16 (11,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:16:41 PM
(0)
Employee
Which RG,? on Ethernet possible bad cable or bad port on RG, besides possible DVR issue
could try swapping ports at RG between known good WAP and questionable DVR.
If WAPand wireless tvs workafter swap not a bad port.

If have another cable, swap between RG and DVR,
Could temporary use cable between RG and WAP for testing.
If known good cable and known good port issue still present then DVR.
Which RG,? on Ethernet possible bad cable or bad port on RG, besides possible DVR issue
could try swapping ports at RG between known good WAP and questionable DVR.
If WAPand wireless tvs workafter swap not a bad port.

If have another cable, swap between RG and DVR,
Could temporary use cable between RG and WAP for testing.
If known good cable and known good port issue still present then DVR.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 16 (11,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 4:54:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue. I didn't understand some of the lingo used in the responses. Can someone explain in plain English exactly what I need to do to troubleshoot this issue.

Also, I'm skeptical about being able to do this without having someone on the phone walking me through it. I tried to call the customer service number earlier in the day and kept on getting cut off. What is the best number to call and actually talk to a person and not an automated response computer? (after I fail at the instructions you post here Smiley Happy ).

I am having the exact same issue. I didn't understand some of the lingo used in the responses. Can someone explain in plain English exactly what I need to do to troubleshoot this issue.

Also, I'm skeptical about being able to do this without having someone on the phone walking me through it. I tried to call the customer service number earlier in the day and kept on getting cut off. What is the best number to call and actually talk to a person and not an automated response computer? (after I fail at the instructions you post here Smiley Happy ).

7 of 16 (10,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 5:24:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
I had an IT friend fix it. You can google the process, but basically you need to discharge the capacitors. I think you have to unplug it and then hold down the power button for a minute while it's unplugged. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what was done, but it worked. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone
I had an IT friend fix it. You can google the process, but basically you need to discharge the capacitors. I think you have to unplug it and then hold down the power button for a minute while it's unplugged. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what was done, but it worked. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone

8 of 16 (10,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2013 5:48:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

vikedog2001 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

Rebooting the DVR while it's unplug wouldn't have done anything.  Sounds like you did a hard reset which erased all of your recordings.  

Of course, if you did this back in August and here it is Dec., I can see that perhaps you don't recall the exact steps.

To the previous poster, try resetting your system before you do a hard reboot of the DVR by unplugging it and the RG (modem) and then plug the RG/modem in; wait for it to boot back up and then plug the DVR in and let it cycle thru and boot up.

vikedog2001 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

Rebooting the DVR while it's unplug wouldn't have done anything.  Sounds like you did a hard reset which erased all of your recordings.  

Of course, if you did this back in August and here it is Dec., I can see that perhaps you don't recall the exact steps.

To the previous poster, try resetting your system before you do a hard reboot of the DVR by unplugging it and the RG (modem) and then plug the RG/modem in; wait for it to boot back up and then plug the DVR in and let it cycle thru and boot up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 16 (10,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 1:52:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

i shut down the modem and the dvr/receiver as instructed. After going through a long reboot, I now have a red X on my TV. Do I need to replace the unit? I'd hate to lose my recordings.

i shut down the modem and the dvr/receiver as instructed. After going through a long reboot, I now have a red X on my TV. Do I need to replace the unit? I'd hate to lose my recordings.

10 of 16 (10,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 1:54:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

Also, what do you mean by a "hard reboot?"

11 of 16 (10,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2013 2:04:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

johnfranciswalter wrote:

I've never had to reformat my DVR but I found this on another thread:

Depress the "Power", "OK", and "DOWN" buttons for 10 seconds,release "POWER" and then the middle lights will flash three times, release all buttons, you'll see a single gear appear on screen, then 2 gears, etc. give it about 15+ minutes to reset, then another five to load the guide and DVR functions.

The DVR unit will reformat the hard drive and wipe out the recordings.

This should only be done as a last resort.  If you have to get a new DVR, all of your recordings will be lost anyway so sometimes it's worth a try.

johnfranciswalter wrote:

I've never had to reformat my DVR but I found this on another thread:

Depress the "Power", "OK", and "DOWN" buttons for 10 seconds,release "POWER" and then the middle lights will flash three times, release all buttons, you'll see a single gear appear on screen, then 2 gears, etc. give it about 15+ minutes to reset, then another five to load the guide and DVR functions.

The DVR unit will reformat the hard drive and wipe out the recordings.

This should only be done as a last resort.  If you have to get a new DVR, all of your recordings will be lost anyway so sometimes it's worth a try.

12 of 16 (10,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 5:23:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did this help the anyone with out having to get a new receiver?

Did this help the anyone with out having to get a new receiver?

13 of 16 (10,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2014 12:57:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had this same problem today and after working with customer service, I decided to try this.  It worked!! I did lose all of my DVR recordings, but its cable, it'll come back on..Smiley Happy

I had this same problem today and after working with customer service, I decided to try this.  It worked!! I did lose all of my DVR recordings, but its cable, it'll come back on..Smiley Happy

14 of 16 (8,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2014 6:58:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too have this problem, I knew that even if it was the dvr, I'd have to get a new one and all my recordings would be gone, so i went ahead and did the hard reboot.  I'm hoping it works.  It just got done with the start-up, and it seemed to work.  I'm still crossing my fingers

I too have this problem, I knew that even if it was the dvr, I'd have to get a new one and all my recordings would be gone, so i went ahead and did the hard reboot.  I'm hoping it works.  It just got done with the start-up, and it seemed to work.  I'm still crossing my fingers

15 of 16 (8,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 12:59:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you see problems showing up again now that you have done a DR, contact TS and request a new DVR.  And watch any recordings that you have as soon as possible.

If you see problems showing up again now that you have done a DR, contact TS and request a new DVR.  And watch any recordings that you have as soon as possible.

16 of 16 (8,472 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments