Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 5, 2013
8:48:30 AM
View profile
DVR power and link light go out, pressing OK or power button do nothing

so I reboot DVR by unplugging power cord from back, then it comes back to life. This happens pretty often, like every couple days or so. Any thoughts? Tests I could do? DVR is connected via coax to RG in another room, also have 2 wireless STBs.

so I reboot DVR by unplugging power cord from back, then it comes back to life. This happens pretty often, like every couple days or so. Any thoughts? Tests I could do? DVR is connected via coax to RG in another room, also have 2 wireless STBs.

DVR power and link light go out, pressing OK or power button do nothing

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 9:10:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
tjrrr - Well, it probably is the DVR. You could call in & see if they will send you a new one. Of course, you lose any recordings.

If you want to test - You should connect the DVR cat5. It should be connected cat5 permanently. There is no TV at the RG location? How is the RG connected to the NID? Is there a diplexer?
tjrrr - Well, it probably is the DVR. You could call in & see if they will send you a new one. Of course, you lose any recordings.

If you want to test - You should connect the DVR cat5. It should be connected cat5 permanently. There is no TV at the RG location? How is the RG connected to the NID? Is there a diplexer?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR power and link light go out, pressing OK or power button do nothing

2 of 7 (1,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 9:27:46 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tjrrr on Sep 5, 2013 at 9:28:57 AM

No TV near RG. RG is in den/office about 20' from TV in family room as crow flies or probably about 40' of coax. House is full of old cat 5 wiring from previous owners networking attempts, but who knows what connects to what at this point. I think he had a switch or router in the den as there's a couple banks of 6 wall jacks, so maybe there's a run from there to family room. Naturally nothing is labeled. We also have hundreds of feet of coax from an old A/B cable installation as well as a dish.

If I can find a run of cat 5 cable from den to family room, is it worth trying to use for DVR? I would need a box to wall cord at each end.

Thanks for the help - we'll have to see if there's any important recordings and if not maybe try to get a new box.

No TV near RG. RG is in den/office about 20' from TV in family room as crow flies or probably about 40' of coax. House is full of old cat 5 wiring from previous owners networking attempts, but who knows what connects to what at this point. I think he had a switch or router in the den as there's a couple banks of 6 wall jacks, so maybe there's a run from there to family room. Naturally nothing is labeled. We also have hundreds of feet of coax from an old A/B cable installation as well as a dish.

If I can find a run of cat 5 cable from den to family room, is it worth trying to use for DVR? I would need a box to wall cord at each end.

Thanks for the help - we'll have to see if there's any important recordings and if not maybe try to get a new box.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 9:51:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
tjrrr - an unknown bunch of wires is not got for troubleshooting. Once the problem is cleared it may be worth trying to find one.

For testing, can you move the TV or get a long cable? Whatever you can work out. Just trying to eliminate the COAX as the problem.
tjrrr - an unknown bunch of wires is not got for troubleshooting. Once the problem is cleared it may be worth trying to find one.

For testing, can you move the TV or get a long cable? Whatever you can work out. Just trying to eliminate the COAX as the problem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (1,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 1:39:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

I get your point about not hooking up to a bunch of unknowns for testing. May have a long cable around here somewhere that was used for laptop in the pre-wifi days. Do I just hook up DVR to one of the ports on the RG? or do I need to configure something?

Another note: I tried Uverse troubleshooting app, which remotely rebooted RG - had not been rebooted in 107 days. Have not had Power/Link lockup problem today altho it may show up yet.

Thanx again for the advice.

I get your point about not hooking up to a bunch of unknowns for testing. May have a long cable around here somewhere that was used for laptop in the pre-wifi days. Do I just hook up DVR to one of the ports on the RG? or do I need to configure something?

Another note: I tried Uverse troubleshooting app, which remotely rebooted RG - had not been rebooted in 107 days. Have not had Power/Link lockup problem today altho it may show up yet.

Thanx again for the advice.

5 of 7 (1,263 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 3:04:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
tjrrr - Your Welcome - Interesting that the RG reboot appeared to help - good operation is always welcome.

I believe you can just plug & play. I have done it often. Worse case is reboot the RG to automatically switch off the COAX/HPNA & same to go back to COAX/HPNA.

If you ever want to test the wireless STB wired. Start with it unplugged & connect cat5 & leave WAP off. It will auto accept the signal it sees, starting with wireless.
tjrrr - Your Welcome - Interesting that the RG reboot appeared to help - good operation is always welcome.

I believe you can just plug & play. I have done it often. Worse case is reboot the RG to automatically switch off the COAX/HPNA & same to go back to COAX/HPNA.

If you ever want to test the wireless STB wired. Start with it unplugged & connect cat5 & leave WAP off. It will auto accept the signal it sees, starting with wireless.

6 of 7 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 7:46:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

Finally got this fixed. ATT tech came by and decided the coax port on the RG was not up to snuff. He said his supervisor told the guys they were swapping out too many RG's, so he fixed us up with CAT5 cable to our DVR (cables were more or less there but needed different terminations.) And he pointed out that signal was weak to both our wireless STB's. I never noticed the signal strength bars on the boxes before, probably because none of them were lit. He moved the TV access point to a more central location, also fixing up CAT5 to it, and lots of bars are lit. As of now, there's only one piece of live coax in the house - the one that connects one old TV to its STB.

Now for one final question: Is it desirable or possible to turn off HomePNA on RG, since we're not using it any more?

Finally got this fixed. ATT tech came by and decided the coax port on the RG was not up to snuff. He said his supervisor told the guys they were swapping out too many RG's, so he fixed us up with CAT5 cable to our DVR (cables were more or less there but needed different terminations.) And he pointed out that signal was weak to both our wireless STB's. I never noticed the signal strength bars on the boxes before, probably because none of them were lit. He moved the TV access point to a more central location, also fixing up CAT5 to it, and lots of bars are lit. As of now, there's only one piece of live coax in the house - the one that connects one old TV to its STB.

Now for one final question: Is it desirable or possible to turn off HomePNA on RG, since we're not using it any more?

7 of 7 (1,108 Views)