Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 12, 2012
9:09:33 AM
DVR playback freezing

We've had UVerse since August and in the last few months we've had some issues with HD recorded content freezing on playback.  At least it's currently only been HD content, and at that it's inconsistent on what or when it's going to freeze.  It's not always the same channels or shows, however when we do reach a point to where one show is going to freeze that's pretty much it for that episode as it doesn't come back.

It happens in a couple of ways.  Originally it would just stop completely, as though somebody had paused the show.  We could not fast forward through the stopping point.  I had thought that perhaps the DVR box was overheating, so changes were made to the boxes home and things were fine for a month or so.  Now it's happening again....only this time when it happens audio drops out for a few seconds then it freezes.  Again, we can try to fast forward through it but no joy.  I've tried to power cycle the DVR to see if that helps, but of course it doesn't.  We also have a second STB in another bedroom, which of course also exhibits the same problem with the freezing shows as it's pulling from the same source.

I've grabbed UV Realtime and have screenshots of the Profile, Error Table and Bitloading tabs as those seem to be the most requested shots.  I don't have a coax connection - it's all ethernet - so the HPNA screen is blank.

I can't help but be somewhat disappointed in UVerse, and at this point am looking forward to the year long contract being up.  Unless it's possible to somehow get out of the contract because the service that is being paid for isn't the service that's being delivered.  ;-)

Here are the screen shots, does anybody have any ideas of what can be done?  There are a lot of corrected blocks...

IP/Profile

Error Table

Bitloading

We've had UVerse since August and in the last few months we've had some issues with HD recorded content freezing on playback.  At least it's currently only been HD content, and at that it's inconsistent on what or when it's going to freeze.  It's not always the same channels or shows, however when we do reach a point to where one show is going to freeze that's pretty much it for that episode as it doesn't come back.

It happens in a couple of ways.  Originally it would just stop completely, as though somebody had paused the show.  We could not fast forward through the stopping point.  I had thought that perhaps the DVR box was overheating, so changes were made to the boxes home and things were fine for a month or so.  Now it's happening again....only this time when it happens audio drops out for a few seconds then it freezes.  Again, we can try to fast forward through it but no joy.  I've tried to power cycle the DVR to see if that helps, but of course it doesn't.  We also have a second STB in another bedroom, which of course also exhibits the same problem with the freezing shows as it's pulling from the same source.

I've grabbed UV Realtime and have screenshots of the Profile, Error Table and Bitloading tabs as those seem to be the most requested shots.  I don't have a coax connection - it's all ethernet - so the HPNA screen is blank.

I can't help but be somewhat disappointed in UVerse, and at this point am looking forward to the year long contract being up.  Unless it's possible to somehow get out of the contract because the service that is being paid for isn't the service that's being delivered.  ;-)

Here are the screen shots, does anybody have any ideas of what can be done?  There are a lot of corrected blocks...

IP/Profile

Error Table

Bitloading

DVR playback freezing

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 9:58:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
swrogers - Having the DVR replaced says it probably is not a faling hard drive.

Others will have to comment on the realtime stats.

My pet solution is if you have TVs connected COAX it is fragile - loose connection or bad component anywhere in the network can cause these problems. Make sure you have no barrel connectors splicing the cables. were all the cable ends replaced?

Best to have the DVR connected to the RG via cat5
swrogers - Having the DVR replaced says it probably is not a faling hard drive.

Others will have to comment on the realtime stats.

My pet solution is if you have TVs connected COAX it is fragile - loose connection or bad component anywhere in the network can cause these problems. Make sure you have no barrel connectors splicing the cables. were all the cable ends replaced?

Best to have the DVR connected to the RG via cat5
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR playback freezing

2 of 10 (4,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 10:49:32 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well, I haven't had anything replaced yet - we did have something sitting on the DVD which caused overheating, which I had hoped to be the cause.

My setup uses zero coax, like I said it's all Ethernet - I.E. cat5. I would have complained loudly to my installer if he wouldn't have pulled fresh Ethernet cable. ;-)
Well, I haven't had anything replaced yet - we did have something sitting on the DVD which caused overheating, which I had hoped to be the cause.

My setup uses zero coax, like I said it's all Ethernet - I.E. cat5. I would have complained loudly to my installer if he wouldn't have pulled fresh Ethernet cable. ;-)

3 of 10 (4,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2012 1:54:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your error counts look great.  Your bitloading graph looks pretty good too.

I'm getting the impression from what you're saying about the behavior that the issue seems to be with the recording as it sits in the DVR, not with the playback (e.g. once you have a problem you can't FF past the problem, if you start over it repeats at the same place, etc.).

You said that the problem got better after you moved the DVR to a better aired location.  The fact that it has returned now may mean that the DVR took some component damage due to overheating that is now coming back.  Check to make sure that the openings on the DVR are not blocked with dust or anything else, and that no heating vent is blownig directly on it.

It is possible that a disaster recovery may fix what ails it.  Or it may be time for a replacement.

Your error counts look great.  Your bitloading graph looks pretty good too.

I'm getting the impression from what you're saying about the behavior that the issue seems to be with the recording as it sits in the DVR, not with the playback (e.g. once you have a problem you can't FF past the problem, if you start over it repeats at the same place, etc.).

You said that the problem got better after you moved the DVR to a better aired location.  The fact that it has returned now may mean that the DVR took some component damage due to overheating that is now coming back.  Check to make sure that the openings on the DVR are not blocked with dust or anything else, and that no heating vent is blownig directly on it.

It is possible that a disaster recovery may fix what ails it.  Or it may be time for a replacement.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (4,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2012 11:52:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:53:43 AM

swrogers wrote:

I'd do a hard reboot by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds. This will fix many DVR problems, let us know if it worked, good luck. Smiley Wink

Edit:  I reboot mine every week or two and have very few problems.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

swrogers wrote:

I'd do a hard reboot by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds. This will fix many DVR problems, let us know if it worked, good luck. Smiley Wink

Edit:  I reboot mine every week or two and have very few problems.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (3,922 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2012 6:36:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Question: Are you watching the DVR on the same TV attached to it, or is the DVR in another room and you are having problems?

Question: Are you watching the DVR on the same TV attached to it, or is the DVR in another room and you are having problems?

6 of 10 (3,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2012 2:12:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm trying the disaster recovery process right now. We have a bunch of stuff recorded, but fortunately it's mostly kid's shows and stuff that is either available on demand....or sadly stuff that we've had the previous episodes freeze up on us.

To answer dunma's question, it does it with the same recording on either the DVR box or the STB in the bedroom. They do pull from the same source - the DVR box - so it makes perfect sense. It's not in the cabling, as they were brand new cable pulls.
I'm trying the disaster recovery process right now. We have a bunch of stuff recorded, but fortunately it's mostly kid's shows and stuff that is either available on demand....or sadly stuff that we've had the previous episodes freeze up on us.

To answer dunma's question, it does it with the same recording on either the DVR box or the STB in the bedroom. They do pull from the same source - the DVR box - so it makes perfect sense. It's not in the cabling, as they were brand new cable pulls.

7 of 10 (3,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2012 2:39:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
...cannot edit on the mobile site evidently...

It appears that what i actually did was the "factory reset ” of holding Down and OK while plugging it in. Afterwards i attempted to do the Down + OK+power button to do the disaster recovery. But the led lights never flashed, i held the buttons down for about 30 seconds.

I did get the cogs and progress bar with the first method and all recordings erased though.

We shall see if it worked.
...cannot edit on the mobile site evidently...

It appears that what i actually did was the "factory reset ” of holding Down and OK while plugging it in. Afterwards i attempted to do the Down + OK+power button to do the disaster recovery. But the led lights never flashed, i held the buttons down for about 30 seconds.

I did get the cogs and progress bar with the first method and all recordings erased though.

We shall see if it worked.

8 of 10 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 1:32:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have same symptoms and screenshots have almost identical values.  Any suggestions? what was the resolution from this thread?

picture freezes for a few seoconds on almost every recording now.  DVR was replaced, Router was replaced, both new and both in separate locations, good ventilation and no inteference.

Any assistance is welcomed.  Very frustrated with this issue that will not go away.

Thank you.

I have same symptoms and screenshots have almost identical values.  Any suggestions? what was the resolution from this thread?

picture freezes for a few seoconds on almost every recording now.  DVR was replaced, Router was replaced, both new and both in separate locations, good ventilation and no inteference.

Any assistance is welcomed.  Very frustrated with this issue that will not go away.

Thank you.

9 of 10 (2,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 5:50:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
My issue was ventillation I'm fairly certain. Once I managed to keep people from placing stuff on box it seemed to work just fine.
My issue was ventillation I'm fairly certain. Once I managed to keep people from placing stuff on box it seemed to work just fine.

10 of 10 (2,309 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments