Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 15, 2013
6:18:42 AM
DVR Upgrade Fee

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this before. Last month my DVR went out and I went through all the troubleshooting routine before they decided it was bad. I was sent another and returned mine within two days. It was signed for and received but AT&T added on a $105 upgrade fee. The DVR was exactly the same as the one I returned and I upgraded nothing.

I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that the DVR belonged to AT&T. Billing advised me that this was a justified charge but transferred me to tech support to verify. The person there kept telling me that it was no problem, once I paid the fee, it would be credited. I hung up and made three more calls and kept getting people with broken English telling me the same thing. I finally got one that seemed to understand and said he thought he could get the charge removed. I'm already past due on the $105 but though I'd wait a few days anyway.

I have het to find anyone that can explain the Upgrade Fee other than CS that said it was for updating the new DVR to the latest software, which in bull  in my opinion.

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this before. Last month my DVR went out and I went through all the troubleshooting routine before they decided it was bad. I was sent another and returned mine within two days. It was signed for and received but AT&T added on a $105 upgrade fee. The DVR was exactly the same as the one I returned and I upgraded nothing.

I may be wrong but I was always under the impression that the DVR belonged to AT&T. Billing advised me that this was a justified charge but transferred me to tech support to verify. The person there kept telling me that it was no problem, once I paid the fee, it would be credited. I hung up and made three more calls and kept getting people with broken English telling me the same thing. I finally got one that seemed to understand and said he thought he could get the charge removed. I'm already past due on the $105 but though I'd wait a few days anyway.

I have het to find anyone that can explain the Upgrade Fee other than CS that said it was for updating the new DVR to the latest software, which in bull  in my opinion.

DVR Upgrade Fee

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 6:30:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If your DVR failed you should not be charged anything.  I have heard of a charge when subscribers want the DVR with the larger hard drive but not to replace a defective one.

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

If your DVR failed you should not be charged anything.  I have heard of a charge when subscribers want the DVR with the larger hard drive but not to replace a defective one.

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to the AT&TCustomerCare customer service team. They will reply back with a PM (blue envelope in the top right of the page). Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR Upgrade Fee

2 of 5 (1,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 6:54:24 AM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks, I just sent them a PM.
Thanks, I just sent them a PM.

3 of 5 (1,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 2:28:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

I finally got an answer from AT&T about the fee. If you request an upgraded DVR with a larger drive, they will charge the $105 upgrade fee. In my case, I had a like for like replacement but someone decided to stick me with that fee and it only took 8 calls and 4 emails to get it removed.

I finally got an answer from AT&T about the fee. If you request an upgraded DVR with a larger drive, they will charge the $105 upgrade fee. In my case, I had a like for like replacement but someone decided to stick me with that fee and it only took 8 calls and 4 emails to get it removed.

4 of 5 (1,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 9:38:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for the update, rearnold864.  Getting an erroneous charge removed is more work than it should be sometimes.  Glad you got that sorted.

Thanks for the update, rearnold864.  Getting an erroneous charge removed is more work than it should be sometimes.  Glad you got that sorted.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (1,165 Views)