DVR Series recording issue...

Teacher

DVR Series recording issue...

I'm trying to set a series recording on BBCWNH for "BBC World News" at 8:00PM on Monday-Friday, for example.  When I set it to: "Any day at 8:00PM", "End at scheduled record time", either "First run only" or "first run and rerun", and "Save the last 1 episode", it schedules the 8:00PM, 9:00PM and 10:00PM instances of the show.  I clearly set "at 8:00PM" and it's not honoring it.  I've tried a number of different settings and it schedules between 43-200+ instances instead of around the 15 that it should.  Does anyone else see this issue?  Well, I know there are several outstanding issues with Series and future recordings, just wondering if anyone has seen this one.  BTW I have the 1TB DVR.  I like all the new channel additions, but if it's impossible to record what I want then that's not very useful.  And I don't see how to set up a "Manual Series recording", just a one-off recording.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: DVR Series recording issue...

kpaustin - I believe you are being whipsawed by two deficiencies in the U-verse software/data -

As you point out, the scheduling for a single, exact time is what the selection says, but not what it does. It has always been like that. Not sure why they have not yet made it right. There should be two selections - Exact time and about. The fact that it does not do what it says is a serious design/implementation fault.

The second contributor to the problem is that the three showings have the same title. Because the name is a key element for scheduling, it is critical that each occurrence have a unique name. If att does not enforce that rule, then they need to create a background key that is unique to be used for administering the request for that particular element of the guide.

All I can offer is for you to send a request to attcustomercare to correct the show listings to be unique using this link -
ttp://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Teacher

I concur.  The ability to add a "Manual Series" recording, that starts on the days, times and channel I tell it to, and ends on that as well, would help.  Don't try to be smart, just do what I say.  Options: Start time, end time, channel #, SMTWRFS checkboxes.  Save last X episodes.  Done.

Message 3 of 6
Expert

The only workaround that I have had any success with is to set multiple series recordings, and then I get all the programs recorded.  This is not meant as a solution but as something that has worked for me.  After awhile I go back and delete the extra series recordings and the problem does not show up again.

Message 4 of 6
Tutor

That workaround doesn't work for me. I do believe that the software "glitches" in the DVR have been allowed to "fester" for too long. I have had my so called "ultimate" dvr for almost two years now (i.e. Contract is just about up). It seems that no one at ATT ever listens to this "community".

MAJOR COMPLAINTS:

The above mentioned "Bug" in scheduling software (this is so basic that I am forced to assume that ATT just doesn't care at all what their cutomer ratings are becoming).

Complete lack of a "Slo-Mo" feature. This has been mentioned on the forums for at least two years also.

Please, forgive me for the "mini-hijack" of this topic, but, I am about to "vote with my feet" on these issues. I will go with another provider for ISP services. Vonage for phone and OTA Amazon for video.

ATT may still get my wireless, but, that also remains to be seen.

Thank you fellow members, and, sorry for the "rant", but, I am as mad as "heck" and I am not going to take it anymore!

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Master

dave811 wrote:

That workaround doesn't work for me. I do believe that the software "glitches" in the DVR have been allowed to "fester" for too long. I have had my so called "ultimate" dvr for almost two years now (i.e. Contract is just about up). It seems that no one at ATT ever listens to this "community".

I have never heard it called an ultimate DVR.  The Whole House DVR was unique for its time, however.  The DVR functions are fairly basic.  I would love reminders, better search functions, snazzy GUI, more/better apps and such but with the U-Verse client (Mediaroom) being in limbo for the past 2-3 years, changes may be coming since Ericsson just bought it from Microsoft.  AT&T does have managers that read this forum - now does one expect AT&T to jump when someone says so?  Think about Hallmark for a sec. Smiley Happy

MAJOR COMPLAINTS:

The above mentioned "Bug" in scheduling software (this is so basic that I am forced to assume that ATT just doesn't care at all what their cutomer ratings are becoming).

I usually have zero issues with scheduling.  Part of it could be bad info pushed from a weak Guide provider.

Complete lack of a "Slo-Mo" feature. This has been mentioned on the forums for at least two years also.

Never used it with Comcast, not even sure that I had it.  I watch lots of racing (and to my wife's chagrin), they reply every wreck at leats 5 times, often in slo-mo, so I don't need it, lol.

Please, forgive me for the "mini-hijack" of this topic, but, I am about to "vote with my feet" on these issues. I will go with another provider for ISP services. Vonage for phone and OTA Amazon for video.

Good luck with your choice!  Voting with your feet is great but I don't expect many of the changes that you (and I) seek to happen for a year or three as Ericsson is just noiw getting their feet wet.

ATT may still get my wireless, but, that also remains to be seen.

Thank you fellow members, and, sorry for the "rant", but, I am as mad as "heck" and I am not going to take it anymore!

I liked the movie Network, too! Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support