DVR Recordings

Contributor

DVR Recordings

Since AT&T won't allow us to transfer recorded content from the dvr to an external device via the usb port, I would like to see AT&T upload our recorded content to the "cloud" or at least provide some means for your techs to transfer content when switching out dvr boxes.  I have had at least two dvr boxes replaced, and have lost many hours of recorded content, such as a no hit baseball game (a perfect game at that), movies, and network programming because of the fact that the content could not be transferred or was not saved in the cloud.  Seriously considering another provider after this latest incident and other issues within the last month.

Message 1 of 4 (510 Views)
Expert

Re: DVR Recordings

Unfortunately many of us would love to be able to record/backup our DVR recordings on an external hard drive, or DVD but it doesn't look like it is coming.  It has been a while since I have read any posts about it, but for some time people were posting about 3rd party hardware that enabled them to backup their DVR content.  I have had 3 DVRs replaced and lost hours and hours of recorded content.  I don't see ATT uploading our recorded content to the cloud with the cost being passed on to us the subscribers.  I have heard that other service providers allow their subs to back up their recorded content on external media.  That may be a choice you will have to make in order to get that feature.

Message 2 of 4 (480 Views)
Employee

The DVR is a leased unit designed for temporary storage, if the desire is to have a permanent hard copy then recommend hooking up a VCR or DVD recorder between the DVR and TV recording either live or later off DVR memory to your chosen storage device. If and when the equipment needs to be replaced or you cancel your account the DVR needs to be returned losing all your TEMPORARY recordings.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 4 (459 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

That is not going to work because of the DRM that has been instuted by AT&T.  There are some programs that cannot be recorded on a DVDR, or a VCR.

Message 4 of 4 (409 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.