Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 6, 2014
5:55:22 AM
DNS Server Assignment and DNS Pre-Fetching - How to Manage?

I just got Uverse Internet to replace DSL, and the Safari (browser) app on my Apple iPad is suddenly experiencing page loading problems. It sometimes takes two or three attempts to get a page loaded.

Apple Support says that the problem could be due to the DNS Server assignment or the fact that DNS pre-fetching is turned on. They recommend changing the server assignment and/or turning off pre-fetching. Is this something I can do, and if so, how? My modem/wireless router is an AT&T 5031NV.

I just got Uverse Internet to replace DSL, and the Safari (browser) app on my Apple iPad is suddenly experiencing page loading problems. It sometimes takes two or three attempts to get a page loaded.

Apple Support says that the problem could be due to the DNS Server assignment or the fact that DNS pre-fetching is turned on. They recommend changing the server assignment and/or turning off pre-fetching. Is this something I can do, and if so, how? My modem/wireless router is an AT&T 5031NV.

DNS Server Assignment and DNS Pre-Fetching - How to Manage?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2014 7:32:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by GeekBoy on Jan 6, 2014 at 7:33:27 AM

If you can't change it in your router (I am not familiar with that specific router), you can specify the DNS Server(s) on your iPad.  My 2Wire RG for my UVerse service doesn't allow me to change my DNS Server settings for DHCP, so I have set my iPad to use Level3, Google, and OpenDNS as my public DNS servers of choice.  Those work great for me:

• Google: 8.8.4.4
  • OpenDNS 208.67.220.220

I would suggest trying that to see if it helps you.  The nice thing is that if you change the DNS settings for a network on your iPad, it will rememebre those settings the next time you connect (unbtil you "forget" the network, or reset the network settings).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

If you can't change it in your router (I am not familiar with that specific router), you can specify the DNS Server(s) on your iPad.  My 2Wire RG for my UVerse service doesn't allow me to change my DNS Server settings for DHCP, so I have set my iPad to use Level3, Google, and OpenDNS as my public DNS servers of choice.  Those work great for me:

• Google: 8.8.4.4
  • OpenDNS 208.67.220.220

I would suggest trying that to see if it helps you.  The nice thing is that if you change the DNS settings for a network on your iPad, it will rememebre those settings the next time you connect (unbtil you "forget" the network, or reset the network settings).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DNS Server Assignment and DNS Pre-Fetching - How to Manage?

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (1,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 5:30:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can you tell me exactly how to go about changing my DNS Server on my iPad?

i assume it's something I have to do in the Settings app, but where and how?

Thanks.

Thanks.

3 of 4 (1,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 9:22:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Bmoore090142 wrote:

Thanks.

In teh Settings App, go to the "Wi-Fi" section.  Right underneath the "on/off" control it should show the name of the connected network.  At the right side there should be the "i" ina blue citcle to display the "information" for that network.  If you tap on theat "i" it will bring up another screen.  On that screen, It has the settigns for DHCP/BootP or Static IP address, and un the section below it has the IP Adress, the SubNet Mask, the Router, the DNS Servers, the Search Domains, and the Client ID.  If you tap on any of those lines, it lets you edit the values there.  You probably only want to adjust the last 3 "DNS", "Search Domains", or "Client ID".  

For the DNS servers, you can just use a comma separated list of IP Addresses that it will use for DNS lookups.  I currently have "8.8.4.4, 208.67.220.220, 192.168.1.5" (note that my 2wire RG uses iP Address of 192.168.1.5 instead of the default value, so your address will be different).  This means my DNS lookups will first go to Google, then if no answer is returned it will go to OpenDNS, and if still no address is returned it will go to the 2Wire RG which will use the AT&T DNS Servers.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Bmoore090142 wrote:

Thanks.

In teh Settings App, go to the "Wi-Fi" section.  Right underneath the "on/off" control it should show the name of the connected network.  At the right side there should be the "i" ina blue citcle to display the "information" for that network.  If you tap on theat "i" it will bring up another screen.  On that screen, It has the settigns for DHCP/BootP or Static IP address, and un the section below it has the IP Adress, the SubNet Mask, the Router, the DNS Servers, the Search Domains, and the Client ID.  If you tap on any of those lines, it lets you edit the values there.  You probably only want to adjust the last 3 "DNS", "Search Domains", or "Client ID".  

For the DNS servers, you can just use a comma separated list of IP Addresses that it will use for DNS lookups.  I currently have "8.8.4.4, 208.67.220.220, 192.168.1.5" (note that my 2wire RG uses iP Address of 192.168.1.5 instead of the default value, so your address will be different).  This means my DNS lookups will first go to Google, then if no answer is returned it will go to OpenDNS, and if still no address is returned it will go to the 2Wire RG which will use the AT&T DNS Servers.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (1,415 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments