Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 24, 2012
4:17:56 AM
D'oh!

Apparently the USPS is stuck with nearly 900 million Homer stamps.

and yet they wonder why they can afford to deliver mail on Saturday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Apparently the USPS is stuck with nearly 900 million Homer stamps.

and yet they wonder why they can afford to deliver mail on Saturday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

D'oh!

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 7:32:50 AM
(0)
Expert
They overestimated the demand on those stamps, but the total cost of the unsold stamps is $1.2 M.

Compare that to the $5 B (<-- with a B) that they will lose this year overall.

The USPS's problem is that they are tasked by the government to run the organization without taxpayer money, but are also not allowed to set the pricing at the proper level without permission from congress.

If someone told you to go open a gas station, and the wholesale price is $3.00/gal, and the government told you that you were only allowed to sell the gas at $2.00/gal, you wouldn't be profitable either.
They overestimated the demand on those stamps, but the total cost of the unsold stamps is $1.2 M.

The USPS's problem is that they are tasked by the government to run the organization without taxpayer money, but are also not allowed to set the pricing at the proper level without permission from congress.

If someone told you to go open a gas station, and the wholesale price is $3.00/gal, and the government told you that you were only allowed to sell the gas at $2.00/gal, you wouldn't be profitable either.

Re: D'oh!

2 of 6 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 7:54:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If I remember correctly, we have one of the cheapest postage rates in the world.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

If I remember correctly, we have one of the cheapest postage rates in the world.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 4:42:27 PM
(0)
Employee
FedEx and UPS has started to use the USPS to make the delivery to your house. That is the most expensive part of the delivery. That means USPS is not charging enough or FedEx and UPS are charging to much.
FedEx and UPS has started to use the USPS to make the delivery to your house. That is the most expensive part of the delivery. That means USPS is not charging enough or FedEx and UPS are charging to much.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 8:33:27 PM
(0)
Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

And of course congress gets to fill their tanks for free.Smiley Mad http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-05/congress-keeps-free-mail-while-pushing-u-s-postal-cuts.html

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

And of course congress gets to fill their tanks for free.Smiley Mad http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-05/congress-keeps-free-mail-while-pushing-u-s-postal-cuts.html

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 6 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2012 10:51:46 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm not touching this!  But, yeah, what a joke!

I'm not touching this!  But, yeah, what a joke!

6 of 6 (350 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments