Converting from coax to cat5

Teacher

Converting from coax to cat5

I've had Uverse for some time and very happy with it. The installer used existng coax for five of the six TV set locations.  If I add a switch and run cat5, I should be able to run all the TV sts from cat5.

Here are the quetions:

• Is there any advantage to this?
  • If I do cut some TV sets over from coax, are any configuration changes needed?
  • Can the same switch also handle internet connections, or do I need to use a separate router to segregate the traffic? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: Converting from coax to cat5

amuse - It's complicated & another question is - What is the cable from the NID to the RG? Is it COAX, also. If it is, it adds complication to the change.

I believe the advantage is - cat5 isolates each leg. So, if there is a problem in one leg it is isolated. COAX creates an HPNA network that is vulnerable to problems throughout the network caused by a fault anywhere in the network. - Any cable, any splitter or diplexer (used with COAX RG feed), any connection.

So, as you are changing over, be careful not to leave any ports open or cables unconnected at the STB while connected to a splitter.

Config changes if the RG is fed COAX.

Keep the cat5 feed for TVs & computers separate back to the RG.

My install was coax NID to RG & Coax for TVs except the DVR adjacent to the RG. My needs changed so that it is now COAX to RG with diplexer splitting off two TVs. Three TVs cat5 of RG through a switch.

One advantage of COAX is you can plug a computer or other streaming device (ROKU, Blue-ray, smart TV, slingbox) into the network jack on the STB. I have that on one of the COAX TVs.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support