Constant latency spikes and packet loss.

Highlighted
Tutor

Constant latency spikes and packet loss.

I recently switched to U-verse because TWC was charging me too much for internet. I got a better deal switching to but before installing U-verse. Now I realize that you get what you pay for, cheap and crappy internet. I can't play any kind of online multiplayer games because I will always lag and end up not enjoying my game. One especially, League of Legends. 

I ran a traceroute command to their server: 216.52.241.254 multiple times. At times, the latency is ok, but the spikes are random and consistently appear right when the data package is routed through Att. Here is a screen shot:

And here is a sample of the constant ping log I have:

I'm wondering. What is wrong? I've never had issues with this with TWC and when I had TWC i was on a 3 mbps deal. Now I'm on a 20 mbps deal with U-verse and this problem starts. Just so you guys know, I have no other network traffic on my connection other than svchost which is only 300 B/sec send+receive. Also, I am the only one using the internet when the screen shots were taken.

It is a problem on the U-verse end and no one can tell me otherwise. Who else has similar issues and how can U-verse fix this. 

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Professor

Re: Constant latency spikes and packet loss.

Can you try pinging 192.168.1.254?

Are you connected over wireless? Powerline adapters?

On top of all of that, there have been a lot of recent Denial-of-Service attacks against many games and services from a person named Lizard Squad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

Sure looks like a wireless interference pattern.  But checking line errors would be a good idea, too.  Go to http://192.168.1.254/ and browse around to the broadband statistics and post them here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

Here's a few things you can try:

Change DNS routing to Google:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

If wireless, see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also see the SJ post:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 which is the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password. The default password for your RG is printed on a white sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, and 3801HGV) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 4 of 7
Tutor

[edited for privacy-removed images with unique MAC addresses]

If it is wireless interference, it is a modem/router problem, BUT I did try and connect it to a router I was using back when I was with TWC and it has the same exact problems(U-verse modem wired to Netgear router connected via Wi-Fi to my PC). The connection from U-verse to its gateway has an issue. If it were wireless interference, I would have had the same problems back when I was with TWC(Cable modem wired to Netgear router connected via Wi-Fi to my PC), but I didn't have these problems.

Message 5 of 7
Tutor

I highly doubt that pinging to the U-verse server will solve/determine anything. The latency issues happen after data passes through that address and to the Gateway of whatever Telecom company Att uses and vice versa. Pinging that specific address comes back in 1ms, 2ms, and sometimes 3ms. Nothing higher.

Message 6 of 7
Tutor

I tried both potential solutions to no avail. The problem still persists. Thank you for your efforts though, it is greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support