Ask a question

Posted Jan 23, 2014
    7:58:07 AM
    View profile
    Connection quality on various devices

Good Morning,

So I'm thinking of switching back to AT&T U-Verse from TWC's Roadrunner.  In a nutshell my game consoles, phones and tablets get a fraction of the download and upspeed I'm paying for.  However my PC and laptop are working normally.  Yet all of my "problem" devices work on non-TWC residential networks.

My question is, how is your download speed on phones and consoles?  Do you see the proper upload and download speeds?

Connection quality on various devices

8 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (8)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 24, 2014 1:02:15 PM
    (0)
    Community Support

Hi RetroGamer,

I apologize about the inconveniences you are having with your consoles. When it comes to the download speed, if one device in your house can get it, all the others should be able to get it as well. If there is any difference in speeds, it will be an issue from the modem to that device. Many factors can come into play, such as wired versus wireless connections. Also, a lot of people have been having success with setting their consoles in a DMZ or passthrough mode. You can only do it to one device, so if you have multiple devices, you want to get another router and set it up behind ours and have uPnP enabled.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Connection quality on various devices

2 of 9 (352 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 29, 2014 9:26:46 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Thanks for that response.  Not really what I was asking about but at least you responded.

3 of 9 (300 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 29, 2014 9:55:42 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I have no issues on my Wi-Fi connected cell phones, although I do have my own wireless router connected as an access point behind the AT&T provided residential gateway.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (295 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 29, 2014 1:28:17 PM
    (0)
    Community Support

Hi RetroGamer,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am in the same boat as 

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 9 (282 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 30, 2014 6:40:40 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

What are the benefits and disadvantages of adding a wireless router behind the RG?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (263 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 30, 2014 7:56:53 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by JefferMC on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:00:33 AM

There are two major reasons for your own router:

1) Routing features (nothing to do with Wireless, per se): You want the ability to provide features such as UPnP, Time of day restrictions, alternate default DNS settings, etc.

2) Wireless Access: You can augment or replace the RG as your Wireless Access Point, because:

• you want to locate it in a different part of the house than the RG to get better coverage, or
    • the RG's wireless radio has failed, or
    • your devices have issues interoperating with it, or
    • you want a faster speed (802.11n, 802.11ac) than the RG will provide, or
    • you want access to the 5 GHz frequency band that the RG doesn't provide, or
    • you want capabilities such as alternate SSIDs (guest access), etc., or
    • you want a device where your wireless access keys are hidden from users who are already using this key or are physically connected to it via a wire.

Or some combination.

[ Edited ]
    7 of 9 (256 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 30, 2014 8:11:30 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

What do you recommend for a moderately priced router?  I have not paid a lot of attention to adding a router to my service, because there were only 3 of us using it.  Now that I have grands with devices, and the increase of wireless devices in my home has made me wonder if I could be inhibiting my wireless internet speed overall. 

8 of 9 (251 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 30, 2014 8:30:34 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

That really depends on which features you're interested in.

To actually alleviate congestion, going to 5 GHz is a good idea, but your clients have 5 GHz band support (which they don't always) and the 5 GHz support (usually marketed as "dual band") is normally a premium feature.

I am using an old DLInk device that I picked up on sale years ago for $20, which only gives me 802.11g, but seems to work more reliably than the RG's wireless and has proved quite adequate for up to 3 laptops, 2 phone, 2 iPod touches and an Android tablet once in a while.

9 of 9 (245 Views)