Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 10, 2013
8:05:08 PM
Connection keeps dropping
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:55:45 PM

My internet dropps intermittantly and very breifly. I notice it when I am playing pandora on my reciever, the internet connection drops out and the music starts, then the reciever has to be restarted.  I alo notice it when I am using remote desktop over VPN, the vpn has to reconnect every so often but does o quickly.  Also my downloads fequntly drop to 0 then pick back up to full speed again.  I had a tech tell me there was a bridge tap in myline and they would have it removed.  Another tech was out the next day and he told me he was just testing the signal strength. I am posing my UV RealTime results. I don't know how to read them, can you guys infer anything from them?

http://i.minus.com/ibnikko4wJqBBb.png

http://i.minus.com/iCdEpVIOeXAXa.png

[removed link to image with unique information]

My internet dropps intermittantly and very breifly. I notice it when I am playing pandora on my reciever, the internet connection drops out and the music starts, then the reciever has to be restarted.  I alo notice it when I am using remote desktop over VPN, the vpn has to reconnect every so often but does o quickly.  Also my downloads fequntly drop to 0 then pick back up to full speed again.  I had a tech tell me there was a bridge tap in myline and they would have it removed.  Another tech was out the next day and he told me he was just testing the signal strength. I am posing my UV RealTime results. I don't know how to read them, can you guys infer anything from them?

http://i.minus.com/ibnikko4wJqBBb.png

http://i.minus.com/iCdEpVIOeXAXa.png

[removed link to image with unique information]

Connection keeps dropping

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 6:45:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your error counts looked pretty bad for the first 3 days since your RG booted, but in the last three days before this screenshot, things look a lot better.

You don't have the sine wave pattern in your downstream, but you do in your upstream; been seeing that a lot lately, and I'm not sure what it indicates. You didn't include the IP/Profile tab, so I'll have to ask: How close are you to the VRAD?

Your error counts looked pretty bad for the first 3 days since your RG booted, but in the last three days before this screenshot, things look a lot better.

You don't have the sine wave pattern in your downstream, but you do in your upstream; been seeing that a lot lately, and I'm not sure what it indicates. You didn't include the IP/Profile tab, so I'll have to ask: How close are you to the VRAD?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Connection keeps dropping

2 of 9 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 11:06:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

700, I had posted that shot but a mod removed it, do I need to edit my ip out of it?

http://minus.com/lzA0e6CfKuwm9.png

700, I had posted that shot but a mod removed it, do I need to edit my ip out of it?

http://minus.com/lzA0e6CfKuwm9.png

3 of 9 (383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 11:08:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

All the errors 3 days ago were from the tech checking the line I believe.

All the errors 3 days ago were from the tech checking the line I believe.

4 of 9 (381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 11:43:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Posting your public IP address will get it deleted.  UVrealtime has a checkbox that will remove it from the screen for this purpose.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem here.  I'm starting to think that sine wave is a result of being too close to the VRAD with a 3801.

Posting your public IP address will get it deleted.  UVrealtime has a checkbox that will remove it from the screen for this purpose.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem here.  I'm starting to think that sine wave is a result of being too close to the VRAD with a 3801.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 12:09:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Meaning ATT should have given me a different gateway?

Meaning ATT should have given me a different gateway?

6 of 9 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 12:20:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The 3801 has been a great gateway, usually much better than the 3800, especially on long runs.  I don't know that it is the problem here.

In your position, I think I'd click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your situation. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelope in the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

In your PM, include a link to this thread so they can see what we've discussed, and include a Billing Account Number and the best way and time to contact you.

The 3801 has been a great gateway, usually much better than the 3800, especially on long runs.  I don't know that it is the problem here.

In your position, I think I'd click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your situation. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelope in the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

In your PM, include a link to this thread so they can see what we've discussed, and include a Billing Account Number and the best way and time to contact you.

7 of 9 (354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 9:56:12 PM
(0)
Employee
You may request a different gateway the 3800 would be the preferred RG at this distance, Max at vrad around 64M

Other option is have extra 1000 feet cat5 available to connect between NID and RG, NO then uverse has a special attenuator which is an electronic device that reduces the power of a signal without appreciably distorting its waveform.

An attenuator is effectively the opposite of an amplifier, though the two work by different methods. While an amplifier provides gain, an attenuator provides loss, or gain less than 1.

Attenuators are usually passive devices made from simple voltage divider networks. Switching between different resistances forms adjustable stepped attenuators and continuously adjustable ones using potentiometers. For higher frequencies precisely matched low VSWR resistance networks are used.

Fixed attenuators in circuits are used to lower voltage, dissipate power, and to improve impedance matching. In measuring signals, attenuator pads or adaptors are used to lower the amplitude of the signal a known amount to enable measurements, or to protect the measuring device from signal levels that might damage it. Attenuators are also used to 'match' impedances by lowering apparent SWR. (Thanks wiki)

The uverse unit is a doogle with red wire that magically adds 1000 feet, I have used them when not having any 3800 on truck, install 3801 with red doogle now seen as 1700 feet close to the design performance of the 3801.

The issue in upload chart may be causing over saturation on upload affecting (pausing) your download. Not doing any P2P are you or bit torrents? Are you near any military bases, army or national guard as upload frequency part of government range that is supposed to be properly shielded by the transmitter.
Reference http://www.grove-ent.com/mttopHF.html

Intermittent issues are hard to troubleshoot look at all options and start shot gunning (wide disbursements hoping to hit something), issue may go away on its own

Another thought, happens all times of day or just specific like dusk to dawn, midday, etc. Thanks for reading rambling thoughts.
You may request a different gateway the 3800 would be the preferred RG at this distance, Max at vrad around 64M

Other option is have extra 1000 feet cat5 available to connect between NID and RG, NO then uverse has a special attenuator which is an electronic device that reduces the power of a signal without appreciably distorting its waveform.

An attenuator is effectively the opposite of an amplifier, though the two work by different methods. While an amplifier provides gain, an attenuator provides loss, or gain less than 1.

Attenuators are usually passive devices made from simple voltage divider networks. Switching between different resistances forms adjustable stepped attenuators and continuously adjustable ones using potentiometers. For higher frequencies precisely matched low VSWR resistance networks are used.

Fixed attenuators in circuits are used to lower voltage, dissipate power, and to improve impedance matching. In measuring signals, attenuator pads or adaptors are used to lower the amplitude of the signal a known amount to enable measurements, or to protect the measuring device from signal levels that might damage it. Attenuators are also used to 'match' impedances by lowering apparent SWR. (Thanks wiki)

The uverse unit is a doogle with red wire that magically adds 1000 feet, I have used them when not having any 3800 on truck, install 3801 with red doogle now seen as 1700 feet close to the design performance of the 3801.

The issue in upload chart may be causing over saturation on upload affecting (pausing) your download. Not doing any P2P are you or bit torrents? Are you near any military bases, army or national guard as upload frequency part of government range that is supposed to be properly shielded by the transmitter.
Reference http://www.grove-ent.com/mttopHF.html

Intermittent issues are hard to troubleshoot look at all options and start shot gunning (wide disbursements hoping to hit something), issue may go away on its own

Another thought, happens all times of day or just specific like dusk to dawn, midday, etc. Thanks for reading rambling thoughts.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 9 (299 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 9:55:17 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi jllapin1,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be looking into the trouble you are having.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi jllapin1,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be looking into the trouble you are having.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

9 of 9 (279 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments