Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 14, 2014
9:57:14 PM
View profile
Connection Issues with 2wire + Netgear R7000 Router....

Hi guys,

I am trying to troubleshoot some connection issues with a Netgear R7000 router connected to the 2wire gateway. Basically, the 2wire gateway connects to the internet and the Netgear Router is connected to that and serves the local clients (basically a router behind a router scenario - didn't really like how the 2wire gateways are only configured for 54Mbps wifi, but that's another story). The Netgear router has an IP of 10.10.1.1 and the 2wire gateway remains unchanged at 192.168.1.254 (the subnet masks are the same).

I have a file server that is connected to the netgear that is "supposed" to be serving documents and a subsonic music streamer outbound over the internet. The server has a static IP of 10.10.1.2, and port forwarding is configured on the Netgear router for all requests on port 80 to be forwarded to that IP address. On the 2wire gateway, the Netgear router is set in "DMZPlus" mode to allow all connections through to the Netgear (I'm interesting in allowing more services through to the server, so this is the easiest option).

Herein lies the problem. When I try to connect to the external 2wire gateway IP address from my local network, I can connect fine. Performing a tracert on 192.168.1.254 shows 2 hops: to the Netgear router then to the 2wire. Makes sense, 2 devices, 2 hops. If I try a tracert on the external IP (which is the same device, but from the WAN), I only see a single hop to the external IP address and it doesn't show the hop to the netgear. If I try a tracert to the google DNS (8.8.8.8), it gives a bunch of hops, the first of which is through the netgear router.

If I try to connect to the external 2wire gateway IP address externally from my iphone or from work, I can't connect. Gives either a 502 error or a cannot connect error.

Not entirely sure where to look for the issue. Have tried rebooting both the router and the 2wire gateway with no effect. Port forwarding on the netgear seems to be working fine: If I connect a device to the 2wire and try to get through port 80 on the netgear it will let me. I'm tempted to believe this is a 2wire gateway problem. NAT seems to work fine: If I play battlefield or download some linux distros off of bittorrent it is able to open a port successfully.

Hi guys,

I am trying to troubleshoot some connection issues with a Netgear R7000 router connected to the 2wire gateway. Basically, the 2wire gateway connects to the internet and the Netgear Router is connected to that and serves the local clients (basically a router behind a router scenario - didn't really like how the 2wire gateways are only configured for 54Mbps wifi, but that's another story). The Netgear router has an IP of 10.10.1.1 and the 2wire gateway remains unchanged at 192.168.1.254 (the subnet masks are the same).

I have a file server that is connected to the netgear that is "supposed" to be serving documents and a subsonic music streamer outbound over the internet. The server has a static IP of 10.10.1.2, and port forwarding is configured on the Netgear router for all requests on port 80 to be forwarded to that IP address. On the 2wire gateway, the Netgear router is set in "DMZPlus" mode to allow all connections through to the Netgear (I'm interesting in allowing more services through to the server, so this is the easiest option).

Herein lies the problem. When I try to connect to the external 2wire gateway IP address from my local network, I can connect fine. Performing a tracert on 192.168.1.254 shows 2 hops: to the Netgear router then to the 2wire. Makes sense, 2 devices, 2 hops. If I try a tracert on the external IP (which is the same device, but from the WAN), I only see a single hop to the external IP address and it doesn't show the hop to the netgear. If I try a tracert to the google DNS (8.8.8.8), it gives a bunch of hops, the first of which is through the netgear router.

If I try to connect to the external 2wire gateway IP address externally from my iphone or from work, I can't connect. Gives either a 502 error or a cannot connect error.

Not entirely sure where to look for the issue. Have tried rebooting both the router and the 2wire gateway with no effect. Port forwarding on the netgear seems to be working fine: If I connect a device to the 2wire and try to get through port 80 on the netgear it will let me. I'm tempted to believe this is a 2wire gateway problem. NAT seems to work fine: If I play battlefield or download some linux distros off of bittorrent it is able to open a port successfully.

Connection Issues with 2wire + Netgear R7000 Router....

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2014 4:22:37 PM
(0)
Expert

TheLon3Ranger wrote:

Not entirely sure where to look for the issue.

This is not an "issue".  This is by design.  The 2Wire router is not accessible from the WAN interface.

If you want to get to the 2Wire while you are not on your network, you will need to use some type of remote access solution to gain access to a computer on your home network, and then use a browser from there to access the 2Wire.

TheLon3Ranger wrote:

Not entirely sure where to look for the issue.

This is not an "issue".  This is by design.  The 2Wire router is not accessible from the WAN interface.

If you want to get to the 2Wire while you are not on your network, you will need to use some type of remote access solution to gain access to a computer on your home network, and then use a browser from there to access the 2Wire.

Re: Connection Issues with 2wire + Netgear R7000 Router....

2 of 2 (515 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments