Connecting Outlook 2010 to ATT mail

Tutor

Connecting Outlook 2010 to ATT mail

I understand this is not a new subject but having just connected to u-verse and ATT email this week I was confident that setting up Outlook 2010 to read my ATT mail would be easy. It is not and has turned into a major issue. Nearly ready to cancel u-verse over this. I have followed every post and several web site suggestions to make this simple connection including making sure that I went to Yahoo to register my ATT mail account. Yahoo provides suggestions to open options and allow the pop communication however that feature was not present for me, as maybe they have removed it! Does anybody know how to get passed this message when attempting to test and verify the Outlook setup? -ERR [AUTH] invalid user/password. Happens every time when closely following all of ATT's instructions for setup. ATT field service rep at installing location was baffled. ATT support says they are not responsible for helping via phone or chat? Please assist, thank you.

Message 1 of 43
Expert

Re: Connecting Outlook 2010 to ATT mail

Are these the instructions that you are following?

Message 2 of 43
Tutor

Yes and been to this page many times. Just got off phone with Microsoft Outlook support and they have confirmed that problem is not with Outlook but with the authorization for the email account at ATT/yahoo. Secondly, I am not able to log into my ATT email from any computer except or what goes through this u-verse router/modem. Appears problem is either at ATT server or at this modem and ATT support refused to solve problem. Any professional suggestions?

Message 3 of 43
Expert

Are you able to log into your U-verse account online? The same U-verse login information should also work as your login information for your att.net email address.

www.att.com/uversecentral

Also, I'm not sure what this comment means:  " I am not able to log into my ATT email from any computer except or what goes through this u-verse router/modem."

Message 4 of 43
Employee

Hi. I checked with our support team. Currently, Outlook 2010 is not supported. I will forward this to the appropriate groups. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 43

UverseChrisZ wrote:

Hi. I checked with our support team. Currently, Outlook 2010 is not supported. I will forward this to the appropriate groups. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Really?  I find that hard to believe since I've been using it since it came out with no issues.  I think your support team that you checked with is incorrect. The instructions on the web page also have Outlook 2010 as a choice.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 6 of 43
Expert

Technically, AT&T does not "support" any mail clients. If you call them for problems with any POP3/SMTP client (Outlook - any version, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, etc.) they will refer you to ConnectTech. The only e-mail they will help you with over the phone is the Yahoo web mail.

Of course, all of those mail clients, including Outlook 2010 work perfectly with the service if configured correctly. But you're on your own for that. AT&T does have some web guides for setting them up, including Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010.
Message 7 of 43
Scholar

Have you enabled POP3 for your ATT/Yahoo account?  

Are you sending from the same address for multiple accounts?   If so, you have to authorize that first.

I use the web access all the time from other locations. 

FWIW, I've used Outlook 2007 and 2010 with U-Verse ever since we've had service.   Every once in a while, I'll get an authentication error when I've changed nothing at all.

Message 8 of 43
Employee

Hi,

there are online fixes, but, I will reengage the teams. This is something that I have heard about but something that I have not seen a resolution on. I will check into this again and see what I can find out.

Chris Z

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 43
Tutor

This is a bit of misinformation as ATT does support Outlook 2010 and it usually works fine. See other posts as to the cause of this failure.

Message 10 of 43
Tutor

True they do not actively support Outlook/email connecting but as with anything in, life if you make enough polite noise and get to the right level of support you can get your problem solved and probably teach somebody else something new.

Message 11 of 43
Tutor

For those that like a good outcome and the final answer to a problem from the original post, here you go. Outlook does work well with ATT/Yahoo email when and if you do use all of the recommended settings. However it will not work if there is a software problem with the ATT account. It took three days of calls to paid ATT support, Microsoft and Att regular U-verse support. If you persist and insist you will eventually get to some level of support where a real person really cares. I will stand up and say Microsoft offered the best support with time and effort in proving that he problem was not with Outlook or the ATT customer computer. Two second level ATT support people need their performance reviews lowered as they displayed lack of support or concern that this actually could be an ATT problem. Yesterday (Monday) I reached a level three support member in Texas name of Patrick. He provided support! The problem, as I had continually suspected, was in the account setup and a software switch related to the email. Patrick did his job and stayed with the problem until he discovered the difficultly and he reset the account. What do you know - Outlook worked as it should have from the start. Too bad there are not more customer support people working for ATT that listen and do the job to the level necessary to solve the problem!!!!!

Message 12 of 43
Expert

Thanks for reporting back, and sorry you had to pay to get this resolved. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 43
Contributor

I have followed the instructions in your link precisely for windows 7 and Outlook 2010.  Yahoo still rejects the password that works fine on Yahoo ATT mail.

My outlook link was working just fine last week, now Yahoo rejects my password.  No changes to the settings.  This is a problem Yahoo has had for months, and there have been no reliable solutions except ATT's pay service, Connectech.  They have fixed it for me before and I will have to go to them again.

Message 14 of 43
ACE - Expert

Time to give up on Yahoo & move to Gmail.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 43
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support