Connecting Outlook 2010 to ATT mail

Tutor

Connecting Outlook 2010 to ATT mail

I understand this is not a new subject but having just connected to u-verse and ATT email this week I was confident that setting up Outlook 2010 to read my ATT mail would be easy. It is not and has turned into a major issue. Nearly ready to cancel u-verse over this. I have followed every post and several web site suggestions to make this simple connection including making sure that I went to Yahoo to register my ATT mail account. Yahoo provides suggestions to open options and allow the pop communication however that feature was not present for me, as maybe they have removed it! Does anybody know how to get passed this message when attempting to test and verify the Outlook setup? -ERR [AUTH] invalid user/password. Happens every time when closely following all of ATT's instructions for setup. ATT field service rep at installing location was baffled. ATT support says they are not responsible for helping via phone or chat? Please assist, thank you.

Message 1 of 43 (23,839 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Connecting Outlook 2010 to ATT mail

west_trouble - My suggestion is to set up a gmail account. From gmail download all your Yahoo stuff. Access Yahoo via the web & set it to forward your mail to your gmail account. Set up gmail in outlook.

That is what I ( & others) have done. Works 100% of the time.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 43 (4,344 Views)

Sure, but ATT used to work and since I upgraded to their fancy uverse it doesn't work anymore and they say they can't help you with outlook... but it's not an outlook probelm it's an ATT problem.  I'm sorry I got the whole big bundle.

Message 32 of 43 (4,303 Views)
Expert

west_trouble wrote:

Sure, but ATT used to work and since I upgraded to their fancy uverse it doesn't work anymore and they say they can't help you with outlook... but it's not an outlook probelm it's an ATT problem.  I'm sorry I got the whole big bundle.

AT&T Yahoo Mail does work with Microsoft Outlook.  If you are having issues, review the configuration changes that you made in Outlook to accomodate your new email account.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568#fbid=zANtFLRWLUJ

Message 33 of 43 (4,301 Views)

Those are the settings I am using. In fact those are the same settings I used before, didn't need to change anything though I spent many hours looking on help screens, etc.  The funny thing is it works occasionally, then doesn't again.  It works temporarily when I am signed into the account such as when I am in this account area. But mostly it does not work. It's not the settings.

Message 34 of 43 (4,287 Views)
Contributor

Hi

What exactly did he do ? I am assuming it was an att tech or was it MS? i have the same problem with Outlook 2010...it is starnge, i paid my bill online yesterday and the password had to be reset, finally after paying i noticed that att server will not let outlook pick up mail...since both (bill pay and outlook) have the same password, could something have gone wrong with the encryption?

Message 35 of 43 (3,992 Views)
Contributor

I agree, Outlook used to work just fine with ATT but not since the upgrade.  I have been having the same problems with my 2011 Outlook on a Mac since the upgrade.  Outlook email works intermittently - when it stops working the solution is to access yahoo "Member Center" - for some reason that fixes it for a time.   From the Home Page (att.yahoo.com) select "Extras", then "Member Center". Enter your password.  That all. Outlook email should start working immediately.It is NOT an MS Outlook problem, is is an ATT problem.   I did try calling ATT but their outsourced support was rude and only wanted to sell me support.  

Message 36 of 43 (3,946 Views)
Contributor

I called AT&T yesterday and was told that AT&T doesn't support Outlook, but he had heard that  the only way to make the settings work was to uninstall and reinstall Outlook. The issue started when I changed my password on the AT&T .com website for my account access. I was able to use the new password to log on to the att.net website and check my email, but I use Outlook, specifically Outlook 2010, and had never had a problem previously. So rather than do all the drastic things involved with an uninstall/reinstall, I closed Outlook and restarted my PC. This morning I started fresh and input all the values in the previous post. The only thing different from what I was doing was that the radio button on the first page below Logon information, the one for requiring authentication, was left unchecked. My 52 new messages popped right up! Amazing! Thanks!

Message 37 of 43 (3,559 Views)

Don't quote me on this, but I could've swore 587 could be used as the outgoing server (SMTP) port.  To use that port I think you need to disable the use of SSL, but authentication (username and password) is always required.  It's worth a shot if you're still struggling.

Message 38 of 43 (3,377 Views)
Contributor

My Outlook 2010 worked fine with my sbcglobal.net email that I have had for MANY years until my yahoo online account was hacked last week.  I have tried every single instruction listed here, spent over 3 hours on the phone with AT&T/Uverse personnel who not only would not (or could not) help unless I agree to pay some company in India $15 per month (they told me they were ATT Connect and a third party administrator not owned by AT&T) and I still can't get it to work.  I have all my service with them - 5 cell phones, Uverse tv and internet and home phone, threatened to take all my business elsewhere and they still won't help me fix it.

Did notice the post on setting up a gmail account and forwarding my sbcglobal account to it - anyone have instructions on that because I'm just about done with this crap.

Message 39 of 43 (2,562 Views)
ACE - Expert

Kat317 -

Via browser - Open gmail account - download all your stuff from att. In att acct settings set to forward e-mail to the gmail account.

Set up the gmail acct in outlook.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 43 (2,548 Views)
Highlighted
til
Explorer

If you changed your email address, this may apply, have a look.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=R9nzoFNgIzc
Message 41 of 43 (2,498 Views)
Contributor

What a crock!  2010 is not supported?  This is 2013 ... soon to be 2014.  How absolutely unbelievable is that?  Unfortunately I can understand why ATT is no longer the 800 pound gorilla in the room.  Very sad indeed.

Message 42 of 43 (1,535 Views)

[ Edited ]

dchrystall wrote:

What a crock!  2010 is not supported?  This is 2013 ... soon to be 2014.  How absolutely unbelievable is that?  Unfortunately I can understand why ATT is no longer the 800 pound gorilla in the room.  Very sad indeed.

1) You have replied incorrectly to a post that is 9 months old.  I have sucessfully set up outlook 2010 and 2013 with my AT&T email address.

2) While it shows Outlook 2007, the same setting work for 2010 and 2013 and they can be found HERE.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 43 of 43 (1,525 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.