Connect Netgear WNDR3400 to NVG510 - Use wired ports on NVG and wireless on Netgear

Tutor

Connect Netgear WNDR3400 to NVG510 - Use wired ports on NVG and wireless on Netgear

I would like to move my Netgear wireless router to a more central location in my home. The NVG modem/router cannot be moved because of the AT&T line connection. It is located in my office with the wired printer and computer on one end of my home. Currently I have a both routers in the office with the wired computer and printer connected to the Netgear router. I would like to connect these to the NVG and still be able to access them wirelessly thru the Netgear once I move it. What do I have to do to make this possible?

Tommy

Message 1 of 8 (1,093 Views)
Community Support

Re: Connect Netgear WNDR3400 to NVG510 - Use wired ports on NVG and wireless on Netgear

Hello bikertz,

Sorry, I am not completely familiar with the Netgear WNDR3400, but it appears to be your standard wireless router. To my knowledge, you should not have to do anything special. Your Netgear and U-verse should have different subnets to avoid any conflicts. But if the Netgear routes the traffic properly, a wireless computer connected to the netgear should send the printer request through to it, the Netgear will realize that the IP address is not on it's network and forward it out to the NVG, and the printer will be connected to the NVG and should receive that request.

Just to ensure everything works properly, it is probably best to work on this in several steps. The first would be to connect your printer to the NVG510 and test without the Netgear connected yet, and just make sure you can print with that setup. After that, you should be able to add the Netgear back in and it should work with no problems. Just make sure that the internet traffic is routing, and the printer should work too. If it does not, you can assume there is something blocking the traffic.

When it comes to accessing your computer from another computer, if you could please go into more detail with that. Are you using a remote desktop protocol or is it just basic file sharing through Windows?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8 (1,022 Views)
Tutor

Re: Connect Netgear WNDR3400 to NVG510 - Use wired ports on NVG and wireless on Netgear

The wired computer is simply using file sharing thru Windows. I'll try your solution for the printer and get back to you.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 8 (1,006 Views)
Community Support

I look forward to hearing back from you. Once the printer is working, it should just be a simple alteration on the Windows File Sharing to get it working. Here is an article that covers it pretty well.

http://www.npcglib.org/~stathis/blog/2013/02/18/windows-task-sharing-files-across-different-subnets/

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 8 (1,002 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Ok, after working with it a while, I have the printer working. The printer port address is 192.168.1.101. How can I make this static so that everytime I power up the NVG510 and the printer that it will have this same address? On the netgear I was able to set the printer with a static address (10.0.0.3). I will only have the desktop computer and the printer wire connected to the NVG510, and I rarely use the desktop. The desktop is running Windows XP.

Message 5 of 8 (989 Views)
Community Support

There is no way to statically assign an addrss on the NVG510 sadly. Hopefully, the printer has an option for this.

Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 8 (980 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Luckily I can set the printer with a static address. The only thing I have left to do is set the computer on the network, which I don't have time to work on now. I'll let you know when I get that to work. Thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 8 (973 Views)
Community Support

Hi biketz,

Just wanted to check in on you to see if everything is working. Hopefully, it was just as easy, if not easier, to setup as when you set it up the first time.

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 8 (879 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.