Confused About Email Migration

Contributor

Confused About Email Migration

April 8th is right around the corner.  With the closing of support for Windows XP, Outlook Express will be one of its casualties. I have been upgrading everyone's computer in the household to Windows 7 and higher. The last holdout is my wife.  Her desktop is still XP and she loves Outlook Express.  Awhile back ATT told us to move from DSL to U-Verse. We had to reconfigure her OE because the mail client is now ATT/Yahoo. I told my wife that she can pull up her "webmail" by logging in at the ATT site.  The problem is that she does not see all of her folders just the inbox.  Is there a way to import all these messages?  A easy setting that I have overlooked?  A buddy of mine states that I have to set up a GMail account and import them.  Then using some sort of utility import them to my ATT/Yahoo account.  My brother-in-law said that I'll have send or forward each piece mail from OE to the ATT inbox.  I don't know who to believe.  Also is there a limit to how much mail Yahoo allows? 

Message 1 of 2

Re: Confused About Email Migration

@intomabell  wrote:
April 8th is right around the corner.  With the closing of support for Windows XP, Outlook Express will be one of its casualties. I have been upgrading everyone's computer in the household to Windows 7 and higher. The last holdout is my wife.  Her desktop is still XP and she loves Outlook Express.  Awhile back ATT told us to move from DSL to U-Verse. We had to reconfigure her OE because the mail client is now ATT/Yahoo. I told my wife that she can pull up her "webmail" by logging in at the ATT site.  The problem is that she does not see all of her folders just the inbox.  Is there a way to import all these messages?  A easy setting that I have overlooked?  A buddy of mine states that I have to set up a GMail account and import them.  Then using some sort of utility import them to my ATT/Yahoo account.  My brother-in-law said that I'll have send or forward each piece mail from OE to the ATT inbox.  I don't know who to believe.  Also is there a limit to how much mail Yahoo allows? 

You can always use Windows Live Mail. It replaced Windows Mail, which replaced Outlook Express, and should provide a familiar user experience.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29224

You should be able to move your data from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail without too much effort. I would install Windows Live Mail on the XP machine first and have it import all the Outlook Express data. That way you can verify the transfer to the new mail program, before you upgrade your operating system. Now have Windows Live Mail make a backup of all it's data files. Save them to a flash drive.

I would also buy a new hard drive for the computer. Mount the new hard drive in the computer and move the power and data connectors from the old hard drive to the new hard drive, but leave the old drive in place. Once you get the Win 7 and Windows Live Mail installed, you can import the backup from the thumb drive.

As well, you can then reconnect your old drive to an open power and data port so you can transfer all the other data files (My Documents, My Music, Desktop, etc).

After that, you can either keep the old drive intact just incase you might need a file from the old windows install, or you can wipe it and use it for extra storage space.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support